LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Secondary
WR
Kicker
Can we only select one choice?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
It seemed to me Flacco had too much time to throw, we need to improve the pass rush. Getting a pass rusher or two is probably easier than replacing the whole secondary. Is the next Bruce Smith or Reggie White available with the 31st pick?
Originally posted by BobS:
It seemed to me Flacco had too much time to throw, we need to improve the pass rush. Getting a pass rusher or two is probably easier than replacing the whole secondary. Is the next Bruce Smith or Reggie White available with the 31st pick?

That guys from UCLA Jones could be there at 31.
Fix the DLine rotation. I've been saying it for the past 2 years. Next year, Justin will be a year older and coming off an operation. We need a "Rotation" even if we get a soild NT, DE in the raft. A rotation will keep them fresh.

Culliver needs a Mike Singletary moment - like VD did and then move him to S and say goodbye to Whitner.

We STILL need a BIG fast WR.

Kicker is a need w/out question.
#1- CB
#2- NT
Cullivers not the problem. Hes good man cover corner but he got exposed against Boldin who is a beast. So did brown and Rodgers. The thing is hes young and he still has got some growing to do mentally and physically but hes the future of our CBs so get used to him. He has one of the lowest yards per coverage among all the corners in the league and he hasnt even reached his potential.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/31/signature-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/

I think we thought Rodgers was a shutdown corner and he is but he was beaten frequently this season. I think for the money were paying him we could find someone better suited to shutdown the sides of the field. All we really need is one guy who can cover the whole side of the field and things become much easier. The jets are going to be offloading one of their corners maybe thats a good way to go and cut rodgers.

I think Whitner is the issue with our secondary. I know that without the pass rush the secondary is exposed but during the playoffs the guy blew assignments. The corners didn't make it easy but when it came down to him needing to make a plays he usually was giving them up instead of making them. He gave up 8 tds in his covearage(the most in the league among safeties) and 14 first downs.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/30/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-safeties/

Goldson is a FA and after next season Whitner is. Im not going to talk about big FA signings so lets just say we resign Goldson. We draft a strong safety prospect who shows good discpline in coverages and then let Whitner walk.

I may be wrong about this but I think we worked Aldon to hard. The kid has got a motor but he was clearly fatigued. I think we need more rotation at OLB so he can mantain the freshness. Using him every down actually makes him less effective especially on run packages.
[ Edited by eonblue on Feb 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No thanks. Jets are looking for 2 1st rounders reportedly....even 1 is too much. 49ers should just do what they've been doing, sign mid-tier free agents and attack the draft, maximize the value of all their picks. The focus on CB is misguided, the 49ers CB's aren't bad, its just that no cornerbacks will hold up when the quarterback has 5 hours in the pocket to throw the ball.

Now as far as safety, well I think we've all seen why the Bills were eager to let Whitner go and didn't make much of an attempt to re-sign him. He hits hard as hell, but his coverage abilities are plain terrible, he got picked on more than any member of the 49ers secondary this season.

My suggestion is to draft a true free safety to develop and eventually move into the starter's spot while shifting Goldson over to SS and letting Whitner walk at the end of his deal next year.

2 #1s according to who? you?
Originally posted by nickbradley:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/26/speculation-commences-on-what-jets-could-get-for-revis/
"They're going to ask for two [first-round picks],'' the source said, which coincidentally is the same package they got for receiver Keyshawn Johnson 13 years ago. "It's going to take probably a first and a third [round pick] and salary . . . picking up the money end of it is a big consideration as well. Maybe a throw-in seventh-round pick depending on how well he does.''
ALL we got out of this season was a L in the super bowl column and a horrible draft pick! It will be hard to build through the draft picking 31st.

Originally posted by nickbradley:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/26/speculation-commences-on-what-jets-could-get-for-revis/
"They're going to ask for two [first-round picks],'' the source said, which coincidentally is the same package they got for receiver Keyshawn Johnson 13 years ago. "It's going to take probably a first and a third [round pick] and salary . . . picking up the money end of it is a big consideration as well. Maybe a throw-in seventh-round pick depending on how well he does.''

I would give them two 1st rounders, heck 1 of the two first we be #31! We could be picking in the back end of the draft again next year. If he is what everybody says he is than go get him, and if not; keep it pushing. GO NINERS!!!!!
Originally posted by glorydayz:
ALL we got out of this season was a L in the super bowl column and a horrible draft pick! It will be hard to build through the draft picking 31st.

That's what scouts are paid for. BRB, no good players are ever found outside the Top 10 picks of the 1st round.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I would give them two 1st rounders, heck 1 of the two first we be #31! We could be picking in the back end of the draft again next year. If he is what everybody says he is than go get him, and if not; keep it pushing. GO NINERS!!!!!

For a malcontent who holds out almost every single season, coming off a major knee injury.......makes sense.
Nose tackle.

Nose tackle.

Nose tackle.

Soap was among the very worse NT's this year. The amount of times the 49ers got gashed up the middle because the NT was being handled by a single blocker was unbelievable. That should be THE priority.

Beyond that, a quality DE in the draft to rotate in and eventually replace Justin, as well as CB and FS.

A good d-line will cure our trouble on the back end! we need to pressure the QB and close the a-gap runs!
Culliver > Can't cover
Whitner > Can't cover
Rogers > Can't cover
Brown > better in coverage than the 3 above but is not a shut down corner

JohnBaugh exploited the 49ers DB's and it cost us from the get go.
Share 49ersWebzone