LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
We need to move up a little in the draft to select Cordarrelle Patterson!

Imagine..

CK
Gore
Crabs
Patterson
Davis

Off the bench:

Hunter
Manningham
Walker
Williams
Jenkins

I don't think you have to move up for him because he's such a risky prospect -- boom:bust.

He's an A grade at NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/cordarrelle-patterson?id=2540145

We need bigger talented bodies to compete with Dick Sherman and give CK more options in the red zone.
Nose tackle.

Nose tackle.

Nose tackle.

Soap was among the very worse NT's this year. The amount of times the 49ers got gashed up the middle because the NT was being handled by a single blocker was unbelievable. That should be THE priority.

Beyond that, a quality DE in the draft to rotate in and eventually replace Justin, as well as CB and FS.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Sign parys haralson. Run defense sucks without him.

He's under contract for one more season, I definitely think they should hold on to him at OLB and go back to more of a rotation with Aldon not playing every single snap.
He's an A grade at NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/cordarrelle-patterson?id=2540145

We need bigger talented bodies to compete with Dick Sherman and give CK more options in the red zone.

Patterson is more of a taller version of Percy Harvin so there are some questions about his route running. Other than that he would be dynamic in the return game.

Then there's Justin Hunter who has that YAC track speed when healthy. He was playing protect the knee mode last season as he didn't want to get hurt again.

He's got a year of FBS experience and catches with his body -- sorta like Vernon Davis. sorry, no thanks.

I don't see how he's better than stephen hill from last year, to be honest.
They too tight on the cap to make any major free agent moves. And we have to look at the pass rush as well. I mean the secondary did get torched but Brooks, and both Smiths were non factors. If Williams and Manningham are back healthy then I don't think they need to make any major WR moves. And AJ Jenkins has to show up.
D-line
Corner
Safety
Kicker
WR

In that order, Justin Smith is our only consistent D linemen, and he is old and injured, lack of pressure from pass rush exposed our corners, and safeties. Akers is old, injured, and done for. Crabtree and Mario are a good one two, but after that the cupboard is bare. Kyle is servicable, but has baggage, Moss is old and looked scared yesterday, I can't stand to look at him anymore, Jenkens....well if he could have helped I'm sure the coaches would have tried, he can go too. I know he was a 1st round pick, but I would rather cut ties and bring in another WR than waste a roster spot on a project. If La'Mike can learn to return punts we can finaly dump Ted Ginn, I've seen double amputees with better hands.
bring in revis
Quality D-line draft picks are needed and not just rotation guys but actual starter quality rotation guys. Last year our secondary looked decent most of the year cause our D-line was getting pressure and making QB's make quick throws. This year with no pass rush our DB's were exposed due to teams being able to wait for somebody to get open. We still need to upgrade the secondary but the priority should be D-Line and another pass rusher.
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Feb 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM ]
Originally posted by rxrunner:
bring in revis

yep. let Goldson walk, trade for Revis

Pass Rush - NT, DE - To play immediately in a rotation and eventually replace Justin 1-2 years. We'll need 2 DE because even if we find a Justin clone [doubtful] the DLine needs a rotation to keep them fresh.

WR - Big and fast, no need for short & quick

Secondary - Cover corners and S. I like the idea of oving Culliver to S.

Obviously Kicker
Originally posted by rxrunner:
bring in revis

nah goldson and whitner can stay but we need a lockdown corner, i dont think the solution is to gut our safeties but culliver got exposed.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
One monster pass rusher will fix the secondary all by himself.
Need to improve the secondary...corners..safeties... Nose. We really need to spend this draft and free agency on D. I wouldn't bother with messing with the offense. I think we're set there. I'd like to see a big body receiver with speed, but it's not a necessity.

No thanks. Jets are looking for 2 1st rounders reportedly....even 1 is too much. 49ers should just do what they've been doing, sign mid-tier free agents and attack the draft, maximize the value of all their picks. The focus on CB is misguided, the 49ers CB's aren't bad, its just that no cornerbacks will hold up when the quarterback has 5 hours in the pocket to throw the ball.

Now as far as safety, well I think we've all seen why the Bills were eager to let Whitner go and didn't make much of an attempt to re-sign him. He hits hard as hell, but his coverage abilities are plain terrible, he got picked on more than any member of the 49ers secondary this season.

My suggestion is to draft a true free safety to develop and eventually move into the starter's spot while shifting Goldson over to SS and letting Whitner walk at the end of his deal next year.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone