LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kelpie70:
Once again RED ZONE OFFENSE and RED ZONE DEFENSE. We were horrible in the Superbowl. Coaches have to find a happy medium between run and pass on red zone plays We need easier play calls for Kaepernick pass wise and we need to utilize his skillset in the red zone as well. Last but not least the secondary may need tweaking and DLINE depth.

You can attack these areas as follows

1. NT-A proper NT that can physically dominate, can occupy multiple blockers, really control the middle.

2. TE-A replacement for Delanie Walker, a big, tall physical target that can find soft spots in the zone and get open.

3. DE-A 3rd DE that can rotate with Justin and Ray, allowing them to stay fresher and also make plays when they are in the game.

4. WR-A #2 WR opposite Crabtree, someone who can really sell out to make catches, has reliable hands, good quickness, can get quick separation in a small area such as the redzone.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
It's going to be an off-season of re-tooling the defense and luckily, the same things they probably want to do for their D-line is in harmony with the best way to deal with Russell Wilson. Think about it. They didn't see Russell Wilson coming last off season. Now, knowing they've got a quick, hard-throwing little 5'10" scat back under center, basically a modern version of Fran Tarkenton, they know exactly what to do - get bigger and taller on the D-line. You handle Russell Wilson the way the Steelers continually handled Tarkenton. ESPN, for example, has them taking Johnathan Jenkins with their first pick - he's a 6'4", 363 lb. (!) defensive tackle. ANd, there's also Jesse Williams who has been discussed. The point is what you do about Wilson. You get bigger on the inside so that you can have your OLB's guard the edges to keep him in the pocket while you crush the pocket with raw strength. At the same time, you have very big guys doing that so it's hard for the little guy to see his receivers and he has to look for lanes. They're going to shoot for that kind of D-line where they've got two guys, not one, who can always be occupying two blockers. If they go in that direction, and I think that's where they're going, Seahawks games are going to look a lot different next season.

Holy crap! Imagine Aldon running inside off him as well as off the edge. Have Cowboy teach him how to occupy and move two OL aside for rushing lanes. That is scary.

I esp. like your points about gearing up to beat the Seahawks. They have a real chance to be one of the best teams in the NFL next year and if we can model to get past them in the playoffs, we'll be sitting pretty given we've already beaten (and are capable of beating) the top notch teams in the Falcons, GB, Saints, etc. (even the Pats and one play away from the Ravens).

If we can get a DE that can do this plus clog lanes and push up field coupled with a monster NT and a nice rotation, it will not allow Wilson to run outside b/c Brooks/Aldon will be there and it won't allow Skittles to run up inside either. DL is priority #1 IMHO.

PS: Would he play RDE or NT?

I like the sound of this but remember...you have to be able to catch the guy eventually! Quick OLB who can't be juked so easily would be a key. Aldon doesn't fit that need very well. Even Flacco was able to escape our pass rushers! Ouch! Of coures, he's pretty strong now.

Well, it's the way the Steelers always played the Fran Tarkenton Vikings. And, yes, sometimes he gets outside anyway, but the point is that you play to contain him in the pocket and take advantage of his height disadvantage by making him play the lanes. In the Niners case, a couple more huge D-tackles could make the difference and since they have two ILB's who have elite speed and quickness, they could mix in situational delayed blitzes, ie, if the Hawks O-line shade to one side to keep the pocket in tact, one blitzes and if they go to the other side, the other blitzes. The Niners didn't see Russell Wilson coming, so they never prepared for that kind of offense in the off season. And, they need more D-tackles for depth anyway so it's a no-brainer for them this off season.
And, I hate to keep harping on his height, but it's going to be harder for the Seahawks to use the same approach with Kaepernick because he can see over the blockers.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You can attack these areas as follows

1. NT-A proper NT that can physically dominate, can occupy multiple blockers, really control the middle.

2. TE-A replacement for Delanie Walker, a big, tall physical target that can find soft spots in the zone and get open.

3. DE-A 3rd DE that can rotate with Justin and Ray, allowing them to stay fresher and also make plays when they are in the game.

4. WR-A #2 WR opposite Crabtree, someone who can really sell out to make catches, has reliable hands, good quickness, can get quick separation in a small area such as the redzone.
Boom! I agree on all fronts.

I especially like the idea of a huge tight end for the red zone. I like Delaine, but it feels like our red zone weapons are greatly lacking. Our receivers are small and fast -- they create separation in the open field. It seems like in the red zone they're not very effective though.
If it's between making the D-line huge with a monster in the middle or spending a high pick on a Jimmy Grahm type TE, I'll take the defense. I think the offense is pretty potent as it is right now, but what they really need to do is deal with the Seahawks offense. Sure, a big, tall natural pass catching TE opposite Davis would be nice, but I need more pass rush and I want to see big D-tackles that can crush the pocket, command multiple blockers and make it easier for Aldon and Brooks to get those speed sacks.
Well, it's the way the Steelers always played the Fran Tarkenton Vikings. And, yes, sometimes he gets outside anyway, but the point is that you play to contain him in the pocket and take advantage of his height disadvantage by making him play the lanes. In the Niners case, a couple more huge D-tackles could make the difference and since they have two ILB's who have elite speed and quickness, they could mix in situational delayed blitzes, ie, if the Hawks O-line shade to one side to keep the pocket in tact, one blitzes and if they go to the other side, the other blitzes. The Niners didn't see Russell Wilson coming, so they never prepared for that kind of offense in the off season. And, they need more D-tackles for depth anyway so it's a no-brainer for them this off season.

Agree and wasn't disagreeing before but am amazed at how Flacco totally evaded our pass rush. I think a key to your post is the size of the linemen to obscure the passing lanes. We have seen how tall linemen are impacting the game and the 9ers can use some added height. Jerod-Eddy is the only DLman taller than our QBs. When you examine our roster height is the only real overall weakness...short recievers, short DBs, short DLmen, Short LBs. Overall, a short team but really athletic and fast.

It really seems Justin Smith's injury created a domino affect that weakened the whole front seven, and that left the DBs hung out to dry. If they had a really strong back up they may be champions right now!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM ]
If it's between making the D-line huge with a monster in the middle or spending a high pick on a Jimmy Grahm type TE, I'll take the defense. I think the offense is pretty potent as it is right now, but what they really need to do is deal with the Seahawks offense. Sure, a big, tall natural pass catching TE opposite Davis would be nice, but I need more pass rush and I want to see big D-tackles that can crush the pocket, command multiple blockers and make it easier for Aldon and Brooks to get those speed sacks.

There's plenty of TE's available in the draft this year, they can find a decent one in Rounds 3-5.
Biggest need is a superstar safety.
We need a true Quarterback of the D. Not just tuff but smart like Ed Reed and have the ability to read the other teams QB

Whitner is smart 8/10 and tuff 9/10 good run defender 8/10 to nosey sometimes is a liability in passing 5/10.... Overall a B-
Dashon is smart 7/10 and tuff 10/10 good run defender 9/10 but also a liability in passing 7/10.... Overall a B+
But we need great not good. Give Dashon Alex Smiths contract (2yr. 15 Mil) and draft for the future. Idealy the rookie beats Whitner and we have 2 FS who play like SS and Whitner plays ST (final yr) and we continue to develop McBath and T. Robinson for Dime S/CB
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Agree and wasn't disagreeing before but am amazed at how Flacco totally evaded our pass rush. I think a key to your post is the size of the linemen to obscure the passing lanes. We have seen how tall linemen are impacting the game and the 9ers can use some added height. Jerod-Eddy is the only DLman taller than our QBs. When you examine our roster height is the only real overall weakness...short recievers, short DBs, short DLmen, Short LBs. Overall, a short team but really athletic and fast.

It really seems Justin Smith's injury created a domino affect that weakened the whole front seven, and that left the DBs hung out to dry. If they had a really strong back up they may be champions right now!

I agree with all of you. It would be ideal if BOTH DE's could push up the field more while a wide-bodied NT can occupy 2, cover the A-gaps and even disrupt the step-up lane at times. I watched Brooks getting constant pressure on Flacco this game, Aldon some too but both were on a island. Brooks often times had a guy on him and he can play off a block better than anyone but which side does he go to? Inside or outside? If you have a DE who can push up the field further, there is only the outside lane the OLB has to focus on.

I tell you, if you get taller DE's too, you'll have more knock-downs (ala Texans). But the key for both the DE's and NT is to 1) occupy two 2) push up field sealing the edge (not just hold the line) collapsing the edges and 3) clog throwing lanes (knock downs and/or pushing the C/RG back into the step-up lane for the QB).

You do this WITH a rotation for Aldon (esp.) and Brooks will easily have 10+ sacks and God knows how many Aldon would have. You can afford to be more aggressive with your DL when you have the 4 LBers we have. No excuses!

And like you said, with more option QB's, you HAVE to be disciplined and aggressive at the same time on the edges.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM ]
Originally posted by SandSlingin49er:
We need a true Quarterback of the D. Not just tuff but smart like Ed Reed and have the ability to read the other teams QB

Whitner is smart 8/10 and tuff 9/10 good run defender 8/10 to nosey sometimes is a liability in passing 5/10.... Overall a B-
Dashon is smart 7/10 and tuff 10/10 good run defender 9/10 but also a liability in passing 7/10.... Overall a B+
But we need great not good. Give Dashon Alex Smiths contract (2yr. 15 Mil) and draft for the future. Idealy the rookie beats Whitner and we have 2 FS who play like SS and Whitner plays ST (final yr) and we continue to develop McBath and T. Robinson for Dime S/CB

Agree with this as well. We need a coverage FS. Period.

My grades:
Whitner is smart 7/10 and tuff 9/10 good run defender 9/10 to nosey sometimes is a liability in passing 5/10 (horrendous in the RZ and continued this trend for 2+ years so that speaks to IQ as well)
Dashon is smart 7/10 and tuff 10/10 good run defender 7/10 but also a liability in passing 6/10 (many many missed tackles, zero range esp. in coverage over-the-top along the sidelines and usually no where to be seen in easy RZ TD's in the middle of the field)

A FS with range (excellent speed and play recognition) who can actually help our CB's over-the-top esp. along the sidelines is crucial. He also needs to be physical AT the LOS in the RZ and is tall enough to cover all the tall TE's we seem to play every other game.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SandSlingin49er:

Agree with this as well. We need a coverage FS. Period.

My grades:
Whitner is smart 7/10 and tuff 9/10 good run defender 9/10 to nosey sometimes is a liability in passing 5/10 (horrendous in the RZ and continued this trend for 2+ years so that speaks to IQ as well)
Dashon is smart 7/10 and tuff 10/10 good run defender 7/10 but also a liability in passing 6/10 (many many missed tackles, zero range esp. in coverage over-the-top along the sidelines and usually no where to be seen in easy RZ TD's in the middle of the field)

A FS with range (excellent speed and play recognition) who can actually help our CB's over-the-top esp. along the sidelines is crucial. He also needs to be physical AT the LOS in the RZ and is tall enough to cover all the tall TE's we seem to play every other game.

Hard to find the Ed Reeds of this world but it would be great to have someone who seems to know where the ball is going before it leaves the QBs hands. Reed didn't have a great game but the QB always needs to be aware of his presence. With the league cracking down on huge hits I see Goldson and Whitner as being passe...though you can't deny their effectiveness in cowing the WRs.
As to coaching:

HC/OC/DC/ST - let's be real here. We have a serious W-W-L pattern going on here. Why? We also have some serious issues with getting calls in on time (and allowing ample time for audibles); 2 times on the final drive is more than enough evidence. And finally, it's safe to say we have another pattern of starting off VERY slow in big games. That is a coach not putting together a proper game plan to attack weaknesses, the players practicing at full speed, execution, mental mistakes, etc. This needs to be worked on badly. We also seem to be well out-coached on several occasions this year. We forget that HaRoman are very young too. We have a new and evolving offense. We also don't seem to utilize our best players to their best abilities. We talked all year about getting Gore/Hunter/James sprinting out in space, quick screens, VD, RZ has been atrocious, using Gore consistently, very few actual WCO plays (anti-WCO), etc. Flow of the game has been minimized d/t game plans being compartmentalized. Better in-game adjustments and half-time adjustments but being down seems to force us to be more aggressive...and we're best in this mode. On defense, we continue to play vanilla and play our secondary miles off WR's and usually allow the WR's to come off the LOS completely untouched, esp. in the RZ (esp. TE's). We struggle with big RB's and get no pass rush against bigger OL's. The common theme on both offense and defense is that when something works, we don't tend to stay with it, or ever go back to it; lack that killer instinct. We don't seem to have that chess mentality where one play is used to set up another later on. All the plays that worked last year, we totally scraped this year. Did we try ONE single ST trick play this year? At the end of the day, I'd say our work is cut out for us re: personnel and areas we seriously need to improve upon but I'm saying this about the second best team in the league. With our financial situation, 14 draft picks, new stadium and an entire off season, we are now the premier team FA's will want to come play for again. We were one play away from getting to the Superbowl last year, one play away from winning it this year and should be very competitive for YEARS to come if we stay smart and continue to gain experience and grow. Go Niners!
Once again RED ZONE OFFENSE and RED ZONE DEFENSE. We were horrible in the Superbowl. Coaches have to find a happy medium between run and pass on red zone plays We need easier play calls for Kaepernick pass wise and we need to utilize his skillset in the red zone as well. Last but not least the secondary may need tweaking and DLINE depth.

Last year we were terrible in the RZ, thus Akers has a career year. We were better but you're right we need more balance
Originally posted by suckafree17:

Last year we were terrible in the RZ, thus Akers has a career year. We were better but you're right we need more balance

True. Scouting and execution was horrendous for the D. Seriously, you didn't know the Ravens would go to Boldin and Pitta in the RZ/EZ? Really? Unbelievable. Truly.
#1 priority has to be getting a NT. Other positions can be argued, like CB, S, WR, and even DE to replace Justin Smith eventually. I choose getting a true nose tackle that can collapse/push the pocket because no matter who we draft at DE, they are only going to be used to give Justin Smith breathers. A good NT has the chance of actually starting day 1 and would play the largest number of meaningful snaps on defense. They also could help take some of the attention off of Justin Smith, which would help out Justin Smith in the same way Smith helps Aldon Smith's game. It would be a domino effect on the defense. It would also buy us a season or 2 to develop a safety and corner that we draft later to eventually take over in 2014 or 2015 as starters. I think it's very clear our offense is on the upswing, but we need to get the defense back to where it was in 2011 and the beginning of the 2012 season.
Share 49ersWebzone