LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I wonder how much better or worse our defense would be if we blitzed more?

i saw a stat around after the 10 or 12 game mark that mike sando tweeted saying that the pressure we got on the qb when we blitzed 5 or more was pretty pathetic and rather low ranking amongst the other teams. we actually had more success in terms of sacks when we brought just 4.
I think that's due to a lack or creative blitzes. Every time we blitz it's a simple a gap blitz with Willis or Bowman. And when they do blitz they just run right into the pass blocker They don't have any moves or pass rush skills, and get stonewalled. They need to blitz them both or put Aldon and Brooks in teh middle for a play and let them blitz. Barely seen any safety blitzes this year either.

something that needs to be discussed is fangio. when we hired him it was pointed out how his D's get worse statistically every season he has been there. we didnt slip per say in year long rankings, but you could see the fall after the NE game. something to monitor going forward.

Agreed, scheme an coaching and not fully utilizing our 4 LB's in the best manner.
Exaclty it seems like all they use Willis and Bowman for is coverage and it's made them passive. I've never seen Aldon line up next to Brooks on the same side with Justin. Minus that int that Brooks had vs the Saints I rarely see any zone blitzes. Gotta create or at least try to create some confusion. Might make the qb hold the ball for 1 second longer. Once Smith got hurt it was time to start mixing up the scheme. Can't play straight up with your bulls injured.
I think Fangio lacks the creativity of blitz packages such as Lebeau and Capers. Those are 2 special coaches and they don't come around that often. The late Jim Johnson was great also
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I abolutely agree, he's a great weapon, as is VD, they need to build the passing offense around those two guys, add pieces to complement what both of them do. In the draft I like Quinton Patton of Louisiana Tech considerably, he's got top WR potential, has been compared to Reggie Wayne, I think he has the tools to be even better than that, he's also a monster after the catch, has terrific quickness and extremely reliable hands, the ideal guy opposite Crabtree. In the slot I think you have to give AJ Jenkins a chance, let him compete with Kyle Williams and possibly a later round draft pick or undrafted free agent, someone with speed, their whole role is to stretch the defense and create matchup problems.

I'd also like to see an upgrade at TE to replace Delanie Walker, a bigger, more traditional type of TE that can expose holes in a defense, a big physical target that is a major threat in the redzone.

I also think that Crabtree can be a terrific threat in the endzone, but Kaepernick really struggles finding the touch in that area of the field, they need to work together a lot more often because Crabtree's been able to get quick separation in the endzone a lot but the passes just haven't gotten where they needed to be.

Nice plan! Scheme/coaching, again can go a long way. I loved how the Raven's used Rice. He started in backfield and at the snap sprinted to a short spot, Flacco hit him in stride and he was off and running for a first down. We never use Gore/Hunter/James like that!

Jenkins in the slot with Williams and even Manningham sounds great. A WCO prototypical WR and TE (modern day 6'6" type) in this passing offense could go a long long long ways.

Remember, we're facing big, taller, physical PED CB's and DB's these days. Crabtree can handle that fairly well and Manningham is lightning off the LOS but having a big, reliable WR in there esp. in those Boldin-on-Rogers moments are critical to moving the chains, getting in the EZ and freeing up the other guys in VD, 2nd TE, Ctabtree, Manningham/Jenkins/Williams and even CK/Gore/Hunter/James.

True, CK and Crabtree need to work on quicker passes in the RZ, timing, running routes IN the EZ, free-lancing, looking to the TE's more, swing passes (WCO staple) and even naked bootlegs. We need some work on 3rd downs and esp. in the RZ!

Get me Dwayne Bowe!

What''s happenin' N? Nice post as always.

Yea, I want Bowe as well on the O side of the ball. Would like it very much as he would give us that prototypical Split-end who would provide a more focused talent than say, Moss. This offense will evolve to utilize the deep ball more effectively and that's scary. Give Kap an entire off-season to build around his WRs n Davis, and he could do amazing things next year especially with a Bowe-type player.

The other player we need badly is that true Zero-tech fatty. As I mentioned in another post, FA doesn't have any I think. There is Seymour and Starks, but both are more 5-Techs. I believe we can go cheaper n draft one of three NTs where we pick: Johnathon Hankins, Jessie Williams and my favorite, John Jenkins. All three have played the 5-Tech as well giving us more versatility along the DL. We know how much this team covets versatile players so we have some new options in April without having to jump all the way up to land a Star while selling the entire farm.

Beside the NT, we need an upgrade in our CBs in all spots. We need that #1 corner to replace Rogers on 1st n 2nd downs n have a competition between Cox and Rogers for Slot. Revis may be too much to have, but Smith in Miami seems like he would be a fine addition to this squad. I see that there could be some CBs in the draft to mold, but we need immediate upgrades. Can't wait for development, IMO.

In addition, we need a Kicker and I like the kid from Florida St. I thought the punter for Ok. St. is also a kicker, Quinn Sharp. I think he's under the radar as a kicker, but he did both at Ok. St. this year. Again, versatility just in case something happens to A. Lee, God forbid! I liked how both these guys did this year n both seem to be had in the late rounds starting with the late 5th or early 6th.

And besides those three, we need more depth especially at DE, OLB and WR....maybe C, too. The draft would be a great place to stock up on some talent for depth since we have 14 picks.

We have such a strong core to continue getting back to the Super Bowl. We just have to shore up our weaknesses, get the new guys acclimated and drive toward the #Quest4Six again.

This. Keep building through the draft, add mid-tier free agents here and there, but focus primarily on the draft. I don't want to see any big money free agents and the 49ers really can't afford any either. In 2015 or before, the 49ers will have to re-sign Kaepernick, Crabtree, Aldon, Iupati and others. That will take A LOT of cap space, that is why I endorse the spendthrift approach and not blowing big money on outside free agents.

I think Kap has to stay with his current contract next year, but after that we can extend him, and we should; not to be "fair", but because the earlier we work out of deal for him, the less we have to pay him per year. He would be happy to make more money sooner, rather than a crap load per year, but have to wait until his entire rookie contract is over.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
I think Fangio lacks the creativity of blitz packages such as Lebeau and Capers. Those are 2 special coaches and they don't come around that often. The late Jim Johnson was great also

Capers is highly overrated imo. Packers fans wanted him fired after Kaep shredded his defense.
Originally posted by dj43:
Just re-watched the game with a particular focus on Sopoaga. He played very well. I would five him an 8 out of 10. He occupied blockers well. Made one play behind the LOS. The Ravens got very little through his area of the field.

As I said above, he was not as good this season as last but in this game, he played well. I would not break the bank to keep him here but if he agreed to a reasonable contract, I have no problem with re-signing him.

Cowboy isn't very tall and certainly isn't going to knock down too many balls. If we can draft a prototypical NT, would anyone object to moving Sopoaga between NT and RDE where he can use his brute strength and spell Cowboy? We tried him at LDE and he did about as well as McDonald but always felt the RDE in the 3-4 would be more ideal. Just a thought...
I want a couple new corners to challenge for starting spots or at least give someone a run for their money. Young guys, nothing fancy unless it's Revis.

I want a SS, preferably we bring in Byrd, cut Whitner and move Goldson to SS but I don't see that happening. What's more likely is we draft a good FS prospect and have Goldson replace Whitner at SS in obvious passing downs and give the young kid some run.

We NEED D-Line. Soap/RJF both FAs and Justin Smith is on his last legs. Another OLB that can rush the passer would be superb too.

Those are our biggest holes, anything and everything else is fine. I think at WR we're actually ok with Manningham and Kyle Williams coming back but I wouldn't be opposed towards drafting another one.

Oh, and we're probably going to need a new kicker to challenge Akers for his spot.
It's a 3 Prong attack:

A). Sign our own QUALITY FA

B). Sign other FA who fit our scheme and wallet

C). Draft for need
I think they'll come to the conclusion that the way to beat Russell Wilson is to hold the edges with the OLB's so he doesn't get out of the pocket and crush the pocket. Because he's short and if he's forced to stay in a collapsing pocket, he'll be much less effective. That being the case, I think they'll draft some very large, nasty defensive tackles. Bringing in more defensive tackles will also allow Fangio to do some subbing so everyone stays fresher.

On top of that, we're definitely going to see at least one new good corner prospect. This off season will be almost all defense while they work on building what they have around Colin Kaepernick on offense.
Originally posted by ninertico:
I abolutely agree, he's a great weapon, as is VD, they need to build the passing offense around those two guys, add pieces to complement what both of them do. In the draft I like Quinton Patton of Louisiana Tech considerably, he's got top WR potential, has been compared to Reggie Wayne, I think he has the tools to be even better than that, he's also a monster after the catch, has terrific quickness and extremely reliable hands, the ideal guy opposite Crabtree. In the slot I think you have to give AJ Jenkins a chance, let him compete with Kyle Williams and possibly a later round draft pick or undrafted free agent, someone with speed, their whole role is to stretch the defense and create matchup problems.

I'd also like to see an upgrade at TE to replace Delanie Walker, a bigger, more traditional type of TE that can expose holes in a defense, a big physical target that is a major threat in the redzone.

I also think that Crabtree can be a terrific threat in the endzone, but Kaepernick really struggles finding the touch in that area of the field, they need to work together a lot more often because Crabtree's been able to get quick separation in the endzone a lot but the passes just haven't gotten where they needed to be.

Nice plan! Scheme/coaching, again can go a long way. I loved how the Raven's used Rice. He started in backfield and at the snap sprinted to a short spot, Flacco hit him in stride and he was off and running for a first down. We never use Gore/Hunter/James like that!

Jenkins in the slot with Williams and even Manningham sounds great. A WCO prototypical WR and TE (modern day 6'6" type) in this passing offense could go a long long long ways.

Remember, we're facing big, taller, physical PED CB's and DB's these days. Crabtree can handle that fairly well and Manningham is lightning off the LOS but having a big, reliable WR in there esp. in those Boldin-on-Rogers moments are critical to moving the chains, getting in the EZ and freeing up the other guys in VD, 2nd TE, Ctabtree, Manningham/Jenkins/Williams and even CK/Gore/Hunter/James.

True, CK and Crabtree need to work on quicker passes in the RZ, timing, running routes IN the EZ, free-lancing, looking to the TE's more, swing passes (WCO staple) and even naked bootlegs. We need some work on 3rd downs and esp. in the RZ!

Get me Dwayne Bowe!

What''s happenin' N? Nice post as always.

Yea, I want Bowe as well on the O side of the ball. Would like it very much as he would give us that prototypical Split-end who would provide a more focused talent than say, Moss. This offense will evolve to utilize the deep ball more effectively and that's scary. Give Kap an entire off-season to build around his WRs n Davis, and he could do amazing things next year especially with a Bowe-type player.

The other player we need badly is that true Zero-tech fatty. As I mentioned in another post, FA doesn't have any I think. There is Seymour and Starks, but both are more 5-Techs. I believe we can go cheaper n draft one of three NTs where we pick: Johnathon Hankins, Jessie Williams and my favorite, John Jenkins. All three have played the 5-Tech as well giving us more versatility along the DL. We know how much this team covets versatile players so we have some new options in April without having to jump all the way up to land a Star while selling the entire farm.

Beside the NT, we need an upgrade in our CBs in all spots. We need that #1 corner to replace Rogers on 1st n 2nd downs n have a competition between Cox and Rogers for Slot. Revis may be too much to have, but Smith in Miami seems like he would be a fine addition to this squad. I see that there could be some CBs in the draft to mold, but we need immediate upgrades. Can't wait for development, IMO.

In addition, we need a Kicker and I like the kid from Florida St. I thought the punter for Ok. St. is also a kicker, Quinn Sharp. I think he's under the radar as a kicker, but he did both at Ok. St. this year. Again, versatility just in case something happens to A. Lee, God forbid! I liked how both these guys did this year n both seem to be had in the late rounds starting with the late 5th or early 6th.

And besides those three, we need more depth especially at DE, OLB and WR....maybe C, too. The draft would be a great place to stock up on some talent for depth since we have 14 picks.

We have such a strong core to continue getting back to the Super Bowl. We just have to shore up our weaknesses, get the new guys acclimated and drive toward the #Quest4Six again.

Likewise. I know we have been talking about getting, FINALLY, getting that prototypical NT who can clog both gaps AND collapse the step-up lane. This is a huge must if you ever want Brooks/Aldon to consistently get sacks and it aids Cowboy and a possible rotation there (praying). I wouldn't mind someone pushing McDonald either.

Man, not only is your thought process similar to many but you obviously have done your research as well.

With the new stadium, exciting explosive offense, 14 draft picks, 17 or 22 starters signed, etc. we are not THAT team FA's are going to want to play for...and chance at a Superbowl. Period. We still have some work to be done but at least now, our work is cut out for us!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
It's a 3 Prong attack:

A). Sign our own QUALITY FA

B). Sign other FA who fit our scheme and wallet

C). Draft for need

yeah the teams that sign all the big names in FA usually are not contenders for the Superbowl. (For example the Tampa Bay Bucs last year, and the Dream Team Eagles)

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
keep Goldson!
Cowboy isn't very tall and certainly isn't going to knock down too many balls. If we can draft a prototypical NT, would anyone object to moving Sopoaga between NT and RDE where he can use his brute strength and spell Cowboy? We tried him at LDE and he did about as well as McDonald but always felt the RDE in the 3-4 would be more ideal. Just a thought...

He'd be fine as a backup at both DE and NT.
Likewise. I know we have been talking about getting, FINALLY, getting that prototypical NT who can clog both gaps AND collapse the step-up lane. This is a huge must if you ever want Brooks/Aldon to consistently get sacks and it aids Cowboy and a possible rotation there (praying). I wouldn't mind someone pushing McDonald either.

Man, not only is your thought process similar to many but you obviously have done your research as well.

With the new stadium, exciting explosive offense, 14 draft picks, 17 or 22 starters signed, etc. we are not THAT team FA's are going to want to play for...and chance at a Superbowl. Period. We still have some work to be done but at least now, our work is cut out for us!

There are prospects for that in the draft. Jesse Williams should be there at the bottom of the first - 6'3", 320 lbs, non-stop motor; John Jenkins, 6'4", 359 lbs, should be there at the end of the first or into the mid second; Johnathan Hankins, 6'4", 320lbs around the same place as Jenkins; Brandon Williams, 6'2", 340 lbs should be there at the end of the second or early third; and there's a player named Kwame Geathers out of Georgia at 6'5", 355 lbs who should still be there in the fourth or fifth.

I'm just saying there are a lot of very large defensive tackles in this draft. And there are a bunch of tall DE's in the 285 to 300 lbs range in the first three rounds.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
There are prospects for that in the draft. Jesse Williams should be there at the bottom of the first - 6'3", 320 lbs, non-stop motor; John Jenkins, 6'4", 359 lbs, should be there at the end of the first or into the mid second; Johnathan Hankins, 6'4", 320lbs around the same place as Jenkins; Brandon Williams, 6'2", 340 lbs should be there at the end of the second or early third; and there's a player named Kwame Geathers out of Georgia at 6'5", 355 lbs who should still be there in the fourth or fifth.

I'm just saying there are a lot of very large defensive tackles in this draft. And there are a bunch of tall DE's in the 285 to 300 lbs range in the first three rounds.
I've read Hankins going anywhere from 9th-28th. I wouldn't mind having him. Space eater.
[ Edited by FunkNinerFlex on Feb 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM ]
Whitner is a Strong Safety. They usually aren't know to be huge coverage guys and typically play closer to the line and cover TE's. I think the reason he is getting torched more often is because the 49ers are keeping him in when they go to a nickel and dime coverage. I think its more poor scheming than anything. I definitely think they need to address CB in the draft.

Nose is a NEED. Soap is too inconsistent and wonder if he might be better if he is spelled from time to time. Then again he does get off the field in certain packages.

I think the defensive line also needs to see some help come their way. We can't expect them to stay healthy or even fresh when they are playing so many plays year in and year out.

Offensive line depth needs to be addressed as well, especially Tackle.
Share 49ersWebzone