LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
somebody get Whitner off the f**king field

I tend to agree. Whitner makes some big hits, but he also has his share of whiffs and he seems to be a liability in coverage. Think the Niners need to acquire some more talent at DB and start drafting for life after Sopoaga and Justin Smith.
personally, i'm content with our DB's. it's depth that's the problem. i think we're gonna bring in more tukuafu type players that can play OL (for the jumbo package) and DL

whether or not you like the jumbo package, it's something that the coaching staff is still going to use a lot.
Get Haralson back and relegate Aldon to just a 3rd down rusher again!
  • thl408
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
There are a lot of knee-jerk, replace-everybody reactions in this thread. This team is built to contend for years.

Ultimately, the only major area of concern was the pass rush after Justin's injury. We can easily remedy the problem by drafting quality DL depth and a pocket-pushing monster at nose. I saw Aldon beat a guy off the edge a million times down the stretch, only to see the QB step up into a clean pocket.

The Ravens 3-man rotation at OLB of Suggs, Kruger, and Upshaw reminded me of what we had when Haralson was healthy. We definitely need some quality depth there too.

Otherwise, we're golden. All the hate for the secondary is irrational. With the exception of the Jacoby Jones TD (where Culliver admittedly blew it), almost all of the Ravens big plays were the result of Flacco having all day to throw or ridiculous, unstoppable plays by Anquan Boldin.

Agreed on all points. Rodgers, Ryan, and Flacco are all good QBs that will torch ANY secondary when given time. They all had time. Can the secondary be improved? Of course, but let's look at the root of the problem, the inadequate and inconsistent pass rush.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
There are a lot of knee-jerk, replace-everybody reactions in this thread. This team is built to contend for years.

Ultimately, the only major area of concern was the pass rush after Justin's injury. We can easily remedy the problem by drafting quality DL depth and a pocket-pushing monster at nose. I saw Aldon beat a guy off the edge a million times down the stretch, only to see the QB step up into a clean pocket.

The Ravens 3-man rotation at OLB of Suggs, Kruger, and Upshaw reminded me of what we had when Haralson was healthy. We definitely need some quality depth there too.

Otherwise, we're golden. All the hate for the secondary is irrational. With the exception of the Jacoby Jones TD (where Culliver admittedly blew it), almost all of the Ravens big plays were the result of Flacco having all day to throw or ridiculous, unstoppable plays by Anquan Boldin.

Agreed on all points. Rodgers, Ryan, and Flacco are all good QBs that will torch ANY secondary when given time. They all had time. Can the secondary be improved? Of course, but let's look at the root of the problem, the inadequate and inconsistent pass rush.

I agree that with time any good QB can beat the secondary. But think back to 2 or 3 of those deep passes. The scramble to the right where it looked like he was throwing it out of bounds and completed it 25 yards down the field. That shouldn't happen no matter what. Then the 3rd and 10 that led to the TD. Again, just horrible plays by the secondary.
draft a CB in 2nd/3rd
re-sign Goldson
sign Sean Smith from MIA, love that guy
Cully and Rogers can kick rocks
get Revizcatraz in trade for Alex
[ Edited by Ballistic on Feb 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM ]
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I have a wish list of things I want, starting with the coaches pre-game preparations, game-plans on both sides of the ball, in-game adjustments and clock management, slow-starts, penalties, vanilla schemes, etc. That's a lot and it all falls on coaching. I hope they grow and learn from this year. CK will not be a mystery to anyone, like Alex wasn't to start the year.

As to players?

Defense:
FS - we need a S that can track balls, defend passes, make INT's, lead, get sideline-to-sideline and actually help over the top without starting 25 yards deep. He also needs to be a stellar tackler and can bring a blitz and play inside the box.
SS - should be interchangeable in the 3-4 but I'd trade big hits for sure-tackling and range/speed.
CB - I thought Culliver would be "our" big, physical CB who can disrupt routes and out-muscle the bigger WR's of today's game at the LOS but with no help over the top, he's been exposed and he doesn't seem to be very bright. I would love a Revis with a huge chip on his shoulder. Brown plays big in big games. Scheme can help him more (not play off 15 yards on 3rd and 5) as can coaching (learn to play the ball and not the receiver AFTER he catches it - he had a simple pick-6 in the Superbowl). That said, if the NFL is going to allow the CB's to play in the Ronnie Lott era again, why not go the way of Seattle and convert 220 6'4" LBers to CB's so we don't have to play 20 yards off and by being physical, only have to cover for under 4 seconds.
DE's - Ray's been M.I.A. all year long for the most part and with Justin hurt, it really showed our weakness. That said, it also showed that our coaches are too timid to rotate. RJF got pancaked in the Superbowl.
NT - we have not had that wide-bodied, low-center of gravity prototypical NT that can clog the A-gaps, command double-teams AND collapse the step-up-lane in the pocket.
OLB's - we've got three coming back this year from injury and a rotation could go a long way esp. on Aldon's side. Scheme can help exploit mismatches, moving these guys around even more (Brooks played SAM, WILL and RDT in the Superbowl). And if we do find some pass rushers, use them!
ILB's - more depth and spend all offseason learning how to cover receivers/TE's in the RZ, particularly the EZ. Both have been horrendous in this area. That said, they rarely have S help either. Two stud S's could essentially shore up 3 positions...like the NT position.

Offense:
QB - time to step up Tolzien. The problem is, he's polar opposite of CK. We'll need a CK 2.0 should he go down.
WR - it's safe to say the micro-receiver experiment should be over (Williams, Jenkins, Manningham, etc.). For a big physical, power running team, two of them got blown up on one running play by one guy trying to run block. And if we want to run an anti-WCO, we need some big physical WR's who can out-muscle DB's, take the top off and run-block very well; you know, like the plethora of these WR's we faced ALL year long and who just torched us in the Superbowl.
TE - I wanted Fleener. Still do. If we had a Fleener and VD on 4th and goal from the 5, nothing is an easier pass for a QB than a quick one in the middle of the field/EZ... Flacco did it twice to us (one with Pitta, the other with Boldin). It's a "slightly" higher percentage than a roll-out and pass-on-the-run to Crabtree with multiple defenders and no room to maneuver. Walker is still a jack-of-all-trades so bring him back as well.
RB - we still need a Gore 2.0...but WITH breakaway speed. We're all talking about the final 4 plays but those 4 plays don't happen if Gore had home run speed. Hunter is an absolute beast (enormous loss). James did a admiral job filling in but he does fumble and isn't as explosive/quick/fast/decisive as Hunter was pre-injury. Hunter can also run very well between the tackles. We also use Gore as a FB and ask him to block esp. out of the Q offensive formations. We need a bigger body here.
FB - Miller is a silent MVP but we rarely use him in the passing game (scheme). But if he does go down, who's up next?
OL - Next C up? Let's see some real competition this offseason and a couple more diamonds in the rough. We need more depth at T for sure and another stud G should a Iupati/Boone go down.
I think Fleener would have made all the difference in the SB. To me, the biggest weakness the Niners have on offense is a reliable 3rd down and red zone pass target. Fleener, a 6'6" guy with great hands and hops and someone who knows Harbaugh's system, would have been perfect. I still can't believe they didn't take him.
Originally posted by cciowa:
get rid of all four secondary guys
kick aldon smith in the f**king ass,, his injury was b******t, that was no reason for him to be behind every f**king play, he was a disaster area, the whole god damn defense, aside from willis and brooks, was a disaster area,,it would have been appropriate for the f**king red cross to come out and serve coffee and doughnuts during the game
draft at least two d line men including a pass rusher

This is dumb.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
My number 2 concern for the defense is drafting a pocket collapsing NT or getting one through a trade. (Alex Smith, anyone)

...in the first round with a trade up to a very high pick if we are targeting someone in particular

I really hope they make a move for position so we can pick up Hankins or Sheldon Rich. They'll be available mid round and we could definitely reach for one.
NEEDS:
#1 - Future DE and DL rotation help
#2 - WR - for god sakes please finally address this position with a real big-body WR - even if he is a project get someone on the roster - and NOT the Moss decoy.
#3 - C - I was really down on Goodwin at the beginning and middle of the season, but he really seemed to come on in the play-offs. Regardless, unless the coaches believe his replacement is in the current OL depth - draft a top flight Center -- and that may be just the thing at pick #31.

Lastly, I would sacrifice all the late round picks and even trade back at pick #31 to grab impact quality players in rounds 2-4.

You guys that say the DBs are crappy are NUTS! They were awesome when we had a pass rush.

#1 - The first issue is the lack of a rush - Smith injury and ASmith being injured AND wore down by year end killed us. WE NEED DL rotation and the coaches have to embrace that during the games. That is a coaching issue. RJF needs to be worked into the rotation early in the season - not just when there is an injury. A ton of injuries happen from fatigue - so keeping guys fresh not only let's them play better, it helps avoid injury.

#2 - Early in the season the defense seemed to come out flat. But in the last few games, they seemed to come out confused. There is something going on in the coverage schemes for each game that is causing confusion on the first few series. You can see it in the pre-snap communication scramble, the blown assignments, and then the conversations after plays where guys are asking each other questions.

Classic example of #2 - Culliver get's blamed for the first deep ball completion in the superbowl. But I am convinced there was scheme confusion -- Culliver appeared to be allowing the WR into his body and releasing the WR by him to play Boldin breaking on the underneath in route. But Whitner was also playing Boldin's underneath route. EVEN IF Culliver was making the mistake, Whitner should have had enough awareness with Culliver's drop to know that he should be staying back over the top. HORRIBLE. How can the defense fail to be prepared for that?? and be confused -- they had two weeks. What the Raven WR's ran there was super basic stuff.

Another classic example of a scheme problem -- In the red zone Boldin has run the seam route for TDs all season - it is his hallmark route. HOW IN THE WORLD can the defense be unprepared for that for the first TD pass from the Ravens??

Regardless, I think our DBs are fine - sure, try to draft for improvement. BUT, I would draft DL depth FIRST.

(sorry for the rant! Little SB frustration will be brewing for a year now).

Originally posted by 951NINER:
Get Haralson back and relegate Aldon to just a 3rd down rusher again!

It's not even relegation. It's for his own good. Hes a pure pass rusher. Parys is a 2 down run stuffing pass covering LB who could switch out effectively with Aldon.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Despite winning the Green Bay and Atlanta games, our team was on a very slippery defensive slope throughout the playoffs and into the SB. We fell behind in each game...sure we came back to win the first two, but couldn't overcome the Ravens. It goes even further back into the season...specifically the Seattle and NE games. Our "vaunted" defense gave up a bunch of points down the stretch. Yes, some of it's due to Justin Smith basically playing with one arm, but it goes deeper than that. Our front 7 didn't wreak that much havoc...making it possible for Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, to a lesser extent Aaron Rodgers, then Matt Ryan and of course Joe Flacco to torch our defense in ways we haven't seen the last 2 seasons. That's disturbing...our DL has to get better, and quickly. Our secondary was ripped apart down the stretch. That was due in part to the front 7 not getting consistent pressure on the QB's, but there were too many cases of miscommunication in the defensive backfield. Goldson was awful in the Atlanta game. Whitner was awful last night. Our CB's repeatedly got torched by a variety of WR's and TE's. That has to change...quickly. Armed with 14 picks (3 very probable compensatory's included), Baalke has to leverage them into trading up to get as many blue-chippers as he can. Hopefully, he can work a trade for Alex for another high pick or maybe a couple mid-range picks to have more flexibility. The DL has to get tougher and stouter...they just got pushed around way too much down the stretch. LB depth needs to get better. The defensive backfield needs a lot of work...we really don't have a shutdown CB...and we need one, desperately. Brown, Rogers and Culliver all struggled...again in part to the front 7 not pressuring QB's as they did in 2011. But, they also blew coverages, failed to defense passes properly and became a liability. No coincidence the Ravens saw those gaps and game-planned accordingly. In FA, here are some guys to consider...most are defensive players:

Randy Starks, DL
Terrance Knighton, DT
Alan Branch, DT
Anthony Spencer, DL/LB
Connor Barwin, OLB
Paul Kruger, OLB
Larry Grant, ILB
Dannell Ellerbe, ILB
Sean Smith, CB
Cary Williams, CB
William Moore, SS
Glover Quin, SS
Jarius Byrd, FS
Dwayne Bowe, WR
Mike Wallace, WR
Greg Jennings, WR

Mods: understand this post covers the gamut...but wanted to start it out in Niner Talk.

Randy Starks, DL...can go inside and outside.
Terrance Knighton, DT
Alan Branch, DT...if we let Soap walk
Anthony Spencer, DL/LB...tweener.
Connor Barwin, OLB
Paul Kruger, OLB...this might be an idea of Parys leaves.
Larry Grant, ILB....solid and knows the system. Good spec teamer.
Dannell Ellerbe, ILB
Sean Smith, CB
Cary Williams, CB.....F U! F U! F U!
William Moore, SS
Glover Quin, SS
Jarius Byrd, FS
Dwayne Bowe, WR...maybe at the right price
Mike Wallace, WR...too expensive but would solve two issues
Greg Jennings, WR...going to Miami. Wants money and wants to be a #1
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by cciowa:
get rid of all four secondary guys
kick aldon smith in the f**king ass,, his injury was b******t, that was no reason for him to be behind every f**king play, he was a disaster area, the whole god damn defense, aside from willis and brooks, was a disaster area,,it would have been appropriate for the f**king red cross to come out and serve coffee and doughnuts during the game
draft at least two d line men including a pass rusher

This is dumb.

I do think Aldon would benefit from getting his head screwed on straight. His offseason was almost as exciting as his first 12 games. I question how much he was hurt or whether he just hit a wall. If it was the fact that they finally schemed to slow him down then it was Fangio's fault for not using him more creatively. But, I think he needs to dedicate himself this offseason and maybe party a little less.
The decling sack numbers and production from the right side had to do with teams scheming for Justin and Aldon. Aldon only bullrushes, very rarely does he swim or club rip etc. Teams caught on to the loop stunt inside from and would slide protect thier center to that side. Now they may have been hurt but nonetheless teams adjusted. Now we have two SS. Donte and Dashon are downhill safties. A true center field saftey that can sit in cover one or stay over the top of the deep roughts and hawk and ball that is thrown is what we need. Is that player in the draft? Is he in FA? Ried out of LSU is good or even a 2/3 round pick of Phillip Thomas from Fresno would be nice.
Pass rush was our biggest issue.
If randy stsrks is a free sgent then they need to mske a run at him
Share 49ersWebzone