LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Culliver needs some work.
Also, Aldon is largely useless without a healthy Justin Smith there......
I know everyone is being hard on Culliver and he didn't have a good game, but the majority of the issues our secondary was having was related to Whitner being either outplayed or poorly out of position.
I really hated our RZ play calling today.

I always thought Whitner was a liability in coverage but our schemes are basic and have been getting exploited since the Pats game. We got tight and went away from what we do i think and thats ground and pound. I dont think any area needs an overhaul. Lets continue to bring in talent and add depth.

This is a tough pill to swallow but 49ers Football is back for a long time to come
  • dj43
Baltimore did exactly what the Seahawks did in the 2nd game up there. They spread the field and used the slot and TE very effectively. That puts a lot of pressure on all the defenders but especially the secondary. Still, we need bigger, stronger corners that can stay with guys like Boldin and Smith and Jones. So far we have been making do with relatively low round draft picks. Compare that to the OL which is stocked with 1st and 2nds.

Use Alex Smith as trade bait to move up and get a top CB in the draft, or a stud DL to spell Justin Smith and eventually take over his spot. Can't sit still.
We need Revis. Cully was trash.
Originally posted by fip24:
I agree but doesn't this say something about Aldon?How is it that I guy at the beginning of his career has been so worn for the last quarter of the season. I don't accept the excuse that he wasn't a 3 down guy last year. Aldon played very poorly tonight

I think I read somewhere that Aldon is hurt? Surely that affected his play tonight. As for the secondary I agree we need a significant overhaul. Flacco had a field day picking us apart and the tackling is marginal at best. IMO easily one of the reasons we lost tonight...
Our secondary was exposed...but, lack of pressure on Flacco really made their job tougher than it should've been. CB and S are definitely draft/FA priorities, but so is the DL. Our front line didn't get penetration or pave the way for Aldon Smith or Brooks to get in Flacco's face. It's true Justin Smith wasn't his normal self...but you've got to go with what you've got, and other players needed to step up. Gotta get tougher up front and in the defensive backfield...those areas must be draft and FA priorities. Depending on how Manningham recovers, or even if he does, also got to get Kap some more WR's. Baalke will have @ 14 total picks to work with, so he needs to do some wheelin' & dealin' to upgrade those areas.
Trade for revis, sign Ed reed, move Goldson to ss
I disagree with a major overhaul. Keep the guys we have, and start drafting potential replacements. Stockpile as much talent as we can and have them compete for the starting spots. The best players win out.

For some reason we just stink at zone coverage. Have to address that. Find out whos worth keeping, and spend a couple draft picks in the secondary.

Originally posted by Snider8706:

We should probably release Patrick Willis then because that is what it would take to have the money to make something like that happen. Revis wants to get paid in a big way. Ed Reed will finish his career as a raven, I'm almost certain of that. We have a lot of draft picks coming up which means there is a lot of potential to bring in promising new younger talent than the above you mentioned.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Feb 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by Snider8706:

We should probably release Patrick Willis then because that is what it would take to have the money to make something like that happen. Revis wants to get paid in a big way. Ed Reed will finish his career as a raven, I'm almost certain of that. We have a lot of draft picks coming up which means there is a lot of potential to bring in promising new younger talent than the above you mentioned.

You don't burn down your house because of a broken window. Release Patrick Willis and 31 teams will fight over the right to sign him.

What you do is go out a get a pass rusher. Justin Smith and Ray McDonald are stout against the run, but ordinary against the pass. If you replace anyone in the linebacker corps, it's Ahmad Brooks, not NaVorro Bowman, not Aldon Smith and DEFINITELY not Patrick Willis. I'd ship Brooks, Sopoaga, Culliver and probably Carlos Rogers out of town.

Need a young speedster to pair with Crabtree. Moss can't get it done anymore. Williams can't stay healthy and Jenkins is clueless. Manningham can do what Moss does, but he's no burner.

If Cleveland or Kansas City are really the likely destinations for Alex Smith, then the Niners have to get either a good draft pick (and I don't mean a fourth-rounder) or some young talent in return. Letting him walk for nothing should be out of the question. Ever since New England torched the secondary it should be apparent that is the weakness of the defense. That, and no consistent pass rush. Aldon Smith may be a star one day, but a star doesn't disappear for four or five consecutive games.

Oh, and David Akers is history. Agreed?
Originally posted by Psinex:
Aldon Smith's arms were limp and hanging by his side throughout the second half. He let rushers go straight by him even when he was in position to make a tackle, and he never got any kind of push. Not having Parys Haralson really hurt our run defense and consequently wore out Aldon as the season progressed.

I know his shoulder is injured, but I think he might be better as a 3rd down pass rusher. Have him come in on obvious passing downs and keep him fresh (next year).
Whitner is HORRIBLE in pass coverage
Share 49ersWebzone