There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by father49er:
We need another cover corner so we can move Cully over to safety to replace Whitner. Come on down Mr. Revis. We shoulda got a run stopper to cover the loss of Harralson.

Culliver at safety? Can he bring the wood? I would have been happy if he had the common sense to touch the guy laying on the ground who just torched him but he was too busy feeling sorry for himself.
I think I would stick with Whitner.

not that i agree w/ moving cully safety, but it doesn't matter if you're a hard hitter, you're just a walking personal foul in the refs eyes (which is BS)
Is Seymour a FA? Rotate with the DEs, while our rookie draft pick get experience.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by father49er:
We need another cover corner so we can move Cully over to safety to replace Whitner. Come on down Mr. Revis. We shoulda got a run stopper to cover the loss of Harralson.

Culliver at safety? Can he bring the wood? I would have been happy if he had the common sense to touch the guy laying on the ground who just torched him but he was too busy feeling sorry for himself.
I think I would stick with Whitner.

not that i agree w/ moving cully safety, but it doesn't matter if you're a hard hitter, you're just a walking personal foul in the refs eyes (which is BS)

Cully played safety in college, no?
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by jones49:
somebody get Whitner off the f**king field

I dont know if I'd go that far but he really fell off the second half of the season. Normally a good hitter but his tackling has been pretty weak as of latte and he cant cover worth a s**t.
great against the run but blows a*****e against the pass

Probably a big reason why we have such a dominant run d though
They'll obviously be looking for a shut-down corner. And, I expect them to move up in the draft to get a huge, nasty D-tackle to crush pockets.
Cully did play S at South Carolina...so, he could be an option there. I liked what I saw from Glover Quin (Houston) and I'd sign Jarius Byrd and let Goldson go. I'd also get Sean Smith, the kind of big CB we really need. Rogers and Brown's play fell off dramatically this season...either/both should be replaced. I'd give Perrish Cox a real shot at becoming the nickel, too. For the DL, sign Randy Starks...he can play both inside and outside and has the size & power to be a force. For more help on the inside, Knighton or Branch could be guys to go after. Both Sopoaga and RayMac disappointed...especially the latter has to step up his game. Soap is a FA...and may not return. A healthy Justin Smith would be great...but, he's not Superman and will slow down at some point. It's critically important to dramatically improve the DL's depth...and develop a truly good rotation. The defensive problems are definitely fixable...and I trust Baalke will do that. Some true blue-chip rookies can add to the mix in the draft, as well.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by jones49:
somebody get Whitner off the f**king field

I dont know if I'd go that far but he really fell off the second half of the season. Normally a good hitter but his tackling has been pretty weak as of latte and he cant cover worth a s**t.
great against the run but blows a*****e against the pass

Probably a big reason why we have such a dominant run d though

Our run D would be fine without Whitner, Goldson is usually the one to get in there
Would love to swap Whitner out for Byrd and move DG to strong safety, one can dream...
You guys are so full of it. Whitner and Goldson were good enough until our pass rush disappeared around week 12.
Almost all secondaries will look ordinary without consistent pressure on the QB. So you can
all pile on about Culliver, Whitner and Goldson in the SuperBowl. But where were you earlier in the season?
Nowhere because Aldon and Justin were getting home.
i actually agree with john clayton (aka the crypt keeper)

10. The 49ers need a new defensive philosophy: San Francisco used basically 13 players in its main defensive rotation. Of the team's 1,083 regular-season defensive snaps, nine defensive starters were on the field for at least 982 plays (more than 90 percent of the reps). Most of the starters played 125 defensive snaps in the playoffs -- that's too much wear and tear.

Despite having two bye weeks to regroup during the playoffs, San Francisco's defense looked gassed in the Super Bowl. In their first two playoff games, the 49ers -- mind you, the league's No. 2 defense during the regular season -- surrendered 55 points, 829 yards and 47 first downs. Flacco and the Ravens carved them up again Sunday night, racking up 34 points, 367 yards and 21 first downs and converting 56 percent of their third-down attempts.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8912611/super-bowl-xlvii-ravens-49ers-soon-forgotten
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by cciowa:
get rid of all four secondary guys
kick aldon smith in the f**king ass,, his injury was b******t, that was no reason for him to be behind every f**king play, he was a disaster area, the whole god damn defense, aside from willis and brooks, was a disaster area,,it would have been appropriate for the f**king red cross to come out and serve coffee and doughnuts during the game
draft at least two d line men including a pass rusher

I think the Smith brothers only had two good arms between them. Neither Smith when healthy is remotely close to being a problem, the Niners cannot upgrade either of them.
i am nuts today but i do understand your point about the arms,, but man at least justin did somethings,, aldon may as well been off the field. he stood up all the time and was always watching plays that were in front of him. he never could catch up to the runner or the qb,, looked like his legs were gone not his arm. i am not asking to upgrade but i think and hope you agree that we must must get justins replacement in the draft and then get another pass rusher with our top two picks. i am just asking for some depth please and for someone other than aldon to rush the passer. i thought they would turn brooks loose more , i know he had a bad shoulder but ,, ahh i picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue

They won't get another end IMO, D-Line depth would be good and they should be going after a corner as well. I think they will burn some picks trading up to get a few good guys rather than a lot of warm bodies.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Feb 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM ]
Whitner is the weakest link in the secondary. A FS that repeatedly gets picked on deep is not good. His strength isn't even coverage, it's tackling and even then, we had our best coverage safety on Rice to make sure he doesn't break out.

Sign Goldson and look for a replacement for Whitner in the draft.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
i actually agree with john clayton (aka the crypt keeper)

10. The 49ers need a new defensive philosophy: San Francisco used basically 13 players in its main defensive rotation. Of the team's 1,083 regular-season defensive snaps, nine defensive starters were on the field for at least 982 plays (more than 90 percent of the reps). Most of the starters played 125 defensive snaps in the playoffs -- that's too much wear and tear.

Despite having two bye weeks to regroup during the playoffs, San Francisco's defense looked gassed in the Super Bowl. In their first two playoff games, the 49ers -- mind you, the league's No. 2 defense during the regular season -- surrendered 55 points, 829 yards and 47 first downs. Flacco and the Ravens carved them up again Sunday night, racking up 34 points, 367 yards and 21 first downs and converting 56 percent of their third-down attempts.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8912611/super-bowl-xlvii-ravens-49ers-soon-forgotten

I definitely think they need to rotate more bodies in to keep guys fresh. It is just too much for these guys.
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
You guys are so full of it. Whitner and Goldson were good enough until our pass rush disappeared around week 12.
Almost all secondaries will look ordinary without consistent pressure on the QB. So you can
all pile on about Culliver, Whitner and Goldson in the SuperBowl. But where were you earlier in the season?
Nowhere because Aldon and Justin were getting home.

I wish Culliver had looked ordinary rather than terrible.
I agree that Flacco had a lot of time though.
My defensive concern is all opposing QB's have to do is throw the ball as far as they can down the field and they will pick up 30-50 yards.