There are 164 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
new kicker please!
I hope we have a draft like 2011. Also I wouldn't mind bringing in a mid market guy
Guys maybe we should be more concerned about drafting a new RED ZONE play caller. Roman really laid an egg.....
Originally posted by Genius1310:
Yes, please.
Originally posted by 5NorCalSavage2:

This
yea let moss walk, he does nothing for us.
Safety Jarius Byrd from Buffalo is a FA. He's very good.

I don't know how much $ he'll want or if he's a RFA.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Safety Jarius Byrd from Buffalo is a FA. He's very good.

I don't know how much $ he'll want or if he's a RFA.

is it me or is he donte whitner 2.0
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
you start by firing romans worthless ass, have him take akers with him and take the special teams coach with him as well
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
you start by firing romans worthless ass, have him take akers with him and take the special teams coach with him as well

i know brad seeley was highly touted when he was hired... but he did not have a great year this year with his kick coverage.

then the whole akers fiasco... not sure if he could have fixed that runaway train but shiet.
Originally posted by cciowa:

I would like to keep Akers. He nailed his kicks after two weeks rest. I seriously think we had him kicking with a injury that is the cause of all the misses. Healthy I would like to keep him for sure. Roman I don't know about but seriously do we have many other options in that regard? We fire him great but who is going to take his place?

Despite winning the Green Bay and Atlanta games, our team was on a very slippery defensive slope throughout the playoffs and into the SB. We fell behind in each game...sure we came back to win the first two, but couldn't overcome the Ravens. It goes even further back into the season...specifically the Seattle and NE games. Our "vaunted" defense gave up a bunch of points down the stretch. Yes, some of it's due to Justin Smith basically playing with one arm, but it goes deeper than that. Our front 7 didn't wreak that much havoc...making it possible for Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, to a lesser extent Aaron Rodgers, then Matt Ryan and of course Joe Flacco to torch our defense in ways we haven't seen the last 2 seasons. That's disturbing...our DL has to get better, and quickly. Our secondary was ripped apart down the stretch. That was due in part to the front 7 not getting consistent pressure on the QB's, but there were too many cases of miscommunication in the defensive backfield. Goldson was awful in the Atlanta game. Whitner was awful last night. Our CB's repeatedly got torched by a variety of WR's and TE's. That has to change...quickly. Armed with 14 picks (3 very probable compensatory's included), Baalke has to leverage them into trading up to get as many blue-chippers as he can. Hopefully, he can work a trade for Alex for another high pick or maybe a couple mid-range picks to have more flexibility. The DL has to get tougher and stouter...they just got pushed around way too much down the stretch. LB depth needs to get better. The defensive backfield needs a lot of work...we really don't have a shutdown CB...and we need one, desperately. Brown, Rogers and Culliver all struggled...again in part to the front 7 not pressuring QB's as they did in 2011. But, they also blew coverages, failed to defense passes properly and became a liability. No coincidence the Ravens saw those gaps and game-planned accordingly. In FA, here are some guys to consider...most are defensive players:

Randy Starks, DL
Terrance Knighton, DT
Alan Branch, DT
Anthony Spencer, DL/LB
Connor Barwin, OLB
Paul Kruger, OLB
Larry Grant, ILB
Dannell Ellerbe, ILB
Sean Smith, CB
Cary Williams, CB
William Moore, SS
Glover Quin, SS
Jarius Byrd, FS
Dwayne Bowe, WR
Mike Wallace, WR
Greg Jennings, WR

Mods: understand this post covers the gamut...but wanted to start it out in Niner Talk.
So many of you expect Revis to pick up right where he left off pre-injury? That's not a given, but he'd probably still be an upgrade.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BayArea:
I would like to keep Akers. He nailed his kicks after two weeks rest. I seriously think we had him kicking with a injury that is the cause of all the misses. Healthy I would like to keep him for sure. Roman I don't know about but seriously do we have many other options in that regard? We fire him great but who is going to take his place?

I'd like to see Kap with the same coordinator for another year.

Akers is done. IMO.
So many boss kickers came out of the draft last year.
Zuerline in Stl. Walsh in Minne. Justin Tucker in Balt.

All legit. We need one.
We need another cover corner so we can move Cully over to safety to replace Whitner. Come on down Mr. Revis. We shoulda got a run stopper to cover the loss of Harralson.
[ Edited by father49er on Feb 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM ]
Along with every other team in the league, we could use another corner. Honestly we should look at the Seahawk model and scout some of those type of corners.
[ Edited by jones49 on Feb 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone