LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
whoa now, I was highly critical of cully and his comments but he is talented. He stays. We do need a Corner though, and upgrade at nickel or move one of ours inside.

Need DL depth.

Also, lots of injuries come back, will help tremendously.. Need a new kicker and a 2nd or 3rd string QB, assuming the trade/release Alex.
Revis
Originally posted by 49DaysofNight:
Corner
Corner
Corner
Corner
Corner
Did I say Corner?

D-Line was not healthy, So we need some good backups
LB Play is our strength

When Manningham is back we will be better at WR, it's not like we are struggling now that Crabs has stepped up. Worried about Jenkins. Is he a project or a legit #1 draft pick? If he is a project, then we need another WR with speed and hands. No faith in Ginn or Williams. Would like to get a nice TE to compliment Davis. Too many dropped passes by Walker.

CORNER!!!!!!!

Did you say corner? Did you notice our corner play has dropped off, at the same time Aldon Smith stopped getting sacks? It dropped off right about the time Justin Smith got hurt? Justin Smith is the only defensive linemen on this team that draws a double team. We need to find another beast, and fast Justin Smith isn't getting younger. So I say:

D-line
D-line
D-line
D-line
D-line
D-line
D-line

Did I say D-line ?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GuessWhosOn3rd:
Revis

Spend the entire draft on the secondary and defensive line and a maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder on WR and we are good. More picks from Alex Smith and get as many corners as we can get our hands on. Getting torched by 10 hail marys in one game is unacceptable. Our secondary needs to be able to cover guys when our line is unable to get pressure. They got exposed without Justin Smith.
If we can get an awesome kicker, I would consider the off-season to be a success.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
whoa now, I was highly critical of cully and his comments but he is talented. He stays. We do need a Corner though, and upgrade at nickel or move one of ours inside.

Need DL depth.

Also, lots of injuries come back, will help tremendously.. Need a new kicker and a 2nd or 3rd string QB, assuming the trade/release Alex.

I like Culliver.
But he was really bad in the Super Bowl. Bad PI on Torrey Smith.... border line call - burned by a guy who can only do one thing as a WR and that is go deep... bad. And generally made poor plays on the ball. He had some good plays but more costly mistakes than anything.

Combine that with his idiotic comments... you could argue that he could be traded elsewhere. Not sure if thats the right move or not but Baalke should evaluate it for sure.
Alex smith lovers:

CUT KAEPERNICK KEEP ALEX START ALEX.
Originally posted by crabtree12:
Alex smith lovers:

CUT KAEPERNICK KEEP ALEX START ALEX.

Is that supposed to be funny? Stop that or you will take a break.
I would try to build the D like Walsh did.

Get a great NT like Michael Carter was.
Have lots of fresh bodies to rotate to rush the passer.
draft 2-3 secondary players---remember Walsh drafted Ronnie Lott and two other secondary players in the 81 draft--first 3 picks.
Play Aldon Smith less so he doesn't wear down--he is the main sack artist but only if he keeps his strength and stamina.
I would sign a FA WR

then in the draft

with 11-13 picks

draft 3-4 secondary players
draft 3-4 DL players
draft 2 WR
draft another QB
draft a kicker

We dont need to make our top priority a CB. Just look at the Ravens who won without their #1 CB - Webb. Its all about front 7. our LBs are fine, we need D-line.

Offense I would only look at depth at the O-line. we were lucky to have all 5 guys start every game this year. that is rare.

As for WR's, we have Crabs, Manningham, Kyle Williams, and AJ Jenkins. No point in using another top draft pick on WR or signing a big name WR without giving Jenkins at least a shot to see what he can do next year. otherwise thats a waste of a #1 pick last year.
Cully had a BAD Super Bowl experience. All his mouth, immaturity and in-your-face BS got him was a TOTAL butt whipping by Flacco & receivers.

IMO, he needs someone to get his stinkin' thinkin' straight like Singletary did with VD.

Maybe a move to Safety?? But again, IMO, he has too much of an upside to let go of. He needs some personal coaching.

Drop kick Whittner. Goldson is not worth all the $$$ he'll be asking.

DL = NT & DE. Guys, we do NOT have a rotation and our starters are over-worked. We need to DE's [draft & FA or both] and a real NT. Soap has been ineffective.

A top notch cover corner - IMO, Revis will be WAYY too much $. In FA who would be the next best? Also, another Safety.

A BIG, fast WR who can be a BIG target in the red zone would help a lot,

Looking forward to the draft & FA.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Is that supposed to be funny? Stop that or you will take a break.

Maybe you should do a better job of policing inciters by Alex Smith lovers in the Kaepernick thread.

You sure are fast to ban people who talk about Kaepernick in the Alex Smith/tolzien thread.

The mods here are a joke.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Cully had a BAD Super Bowl experience. All his mouth, immaturity and in-your-face BS got him was a TOTAL butt whipping by Flacco & receivers.

IMO, he needs someone to get his stinkin' thinkin' straight like Singletary did with VD.

Maybe a move to Safety?? But again, IMO, he has too much of an upside to let go of. He needs some personal coaching.

Drop kick Whittner. Goldson is not worth all the $$$ he'll be asking.

DL = NT & DE. Guys, we do NOT have a rotation and our starters are over-worked. We need to DE's [draft & FA or both] and a real NT. Soap has been ineffective.

A top notch cover corner - IMO, Revis will be WAYY too much $. In FA who would be the next best? Also, another Safety.

A BIG, fast WR who can be a BIG target in the red zone would help a lot,

Looking forward to the draft & FA.

Carlos Rogers makes $6 mill/year
Darrell Revis makes $9 mill/year

not a big jump.

I agree though. We need some depth on the DL.... Ray Mac is good, but he could use a rotation guy.... Justin Smith is great but he could use a replacement for the future / if he gets hurt again.... but I think Soap needs to be a depth/rotation guy and not the starter. If we can get an interior pass rush that would be amazing. Obviously aiming high, but a Warren Sapp style player. Big, Occupies the middle on run downs and rushes the pass on pass downs.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by dj43:
I am 50/50 on Sopoaga. Still, the front 7 is the best in the league against the run, hence Sop can't be such a huge negative as some suggest.

The defense was built to stop the run and they are doing it very well. Adding depth by drafting/signing DL who are more pass rush oriented should be a goal if only to give the current starters more rest. However, to the extent you go to more of a pass rush orientation, you tend to give up more of the run stuffing ability.

The back end is clearly an issue. Brown and Culliver just do not get the job done against the better receivers in the league.

He's ranked as one of the worst NT's in football. Having the 2 best ILB's in football almost compensates for having a lousy NT. Stop looking at the statistics and look at the individual performance. Sopoaga has been the weak link in the front 7, stop spouting the media hype BS. If it were true, this team wouldn't have gotten rocked yesterday because the NT is getting locked down by a single blocker.

In a 3-4 defense, the job of the NT is to keep the linebackers clean, to occupy multiple blockers. Soap doesn't do that. In the 49ers defense, Justin Smith has been the guy occupying multiple blockers and causing matchup problems but he has been markedly less effective since his injury, and as a result, the defense has crumbled, less pass rush, less run defense, translation is that this team gets gashed repeatedly. They need an NT that will require more than one blocker to stop, combine that with a healthy Justin Smith and you're opening things up for Aldon and Brooks to run around and wreak absolute havoc and cause mayhem all over the place.

As I said, I am 50/50 on Sopoaga. IOW, I won't care a lot if he leaves. He did not play as well this season as last.

As to needs; gaining depth on the DL is a priority. That can be a better NT or a future replacement for Justin Smith. Either way, I am fine with it.

However, I stand by my priority of CB then WR then DL. However, it doesn't matter to me the order as long as they get it done. I think we all know that Baalke is going to work on all three of those areas in the draft. (I don't see him making any FA signings of note.)
Share 49ersWebzone