There are 239 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crabtree12:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Is that supposed to be funny? Stop that or you will take a break.

Maybe you should do a better job of policing inciters by Alex Smith lovers in the Kaepernick thread.

You sure are fast to ban people who talk about Kaepernick in the Alex Smith/tolzien thread.

The mods here are a joke.

So I make you laugh?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Cheapest way yo fix the secondary is to draft a pass rusher.
  • dj43
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
man i like our hard hitting safeties though... they set the tone even if they can't cover all that great the trade off is nice. just add another corner instead.

In this passing league, there is very little place for a safety that cannot cover...or did both the Seattle game and last night escape notice?

I said it last night but I'll say it again here: John Harbaugh spent a lot of time looking at the 2nd Seattle game where they spread the field once they got into the RZ and just abused Whitner. FWIW, cover is not Goldson's strength either.

In the end, you need safeties that can cover but they must also be good tacklers. Just making big hits is not enough to win in this league.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Cheapest way yo fix the secondary is to draft a pass rusher.

Where are you going to put him though?

Thats my question.

Brooks and Aldon are both studs.
Justin Smith is a stud
Ray Mac is very good.

We need to figure out how to get Willis rushing the passer a little more. He has too much athleticism to be just in pass coverage. They blitz him a bit in the Super Bowl... but I dont know. Figure it out Vangio.

If we can get a pass rushing elite DT that would be ideal. I know this draft is stocked with very good NTs..... could be possible.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
We need to draft all defense. DE, NT, CB, SS, FS, and a Kicker.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
We need to draft all defense. DE, NT, CB, SS, FS, and a Kicker.

a WR too in late rounds.... Returner type.
If I were Baalke I would focus heavily on the defense in the offseason.

Areas I would focus on:
Another pass rusher on the outside to rotate with Brooks and Smith.
A productive end to rotate in with Smith and McDonald.
A disruptive NT in the middle
Possible replacement for Goldson.
Possible replacement for Rogers
Possible replacement for Walker
A WR to replace Randy Moss
[ Edited by WINiner on Feb 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
If I were Baalke I would focus heavily on the defense in the offseason.

Areas I would focus on:
Another pass rusher on the outside to rotate with Brooks and Smith.
A productive end to rotate in with Smith and McDonald.
A disruptive NT in the middle
Possible replacement for Goldson.
Possible replacement for Rogers
Possible replacement for Walker
A WR to replace Randy Moss

Yeah.

I am really curious what Garrett Celek can do catching the football.
He's 6'5. He could be the redzone threat we need if he can catch the ball... ala Dennis Pitta/Kyle Rudolph.

If not, Definitely look for a TE in the draft. There are also a lot of good TE's going into Free Agency. Jared Cook from TEN for example. Dude is a freak.
At Safety, re-sign Goldson and get rid of Whitner. Draft Phillip Thomas S Fresno State in the 2nd round or someone else with his skill set.

At CB, we need a big cover corner to take Rogers place and maybe one other to replace Tremaine Brock who should be gone, too. The second guy should also be able to play special teams.

At OLB, one great pass rusher to rotate in with Aldon and Brooks.

On the DL, at least 2 bodies. One NT who also can provide some pass rush and a rotational DE to supplement Cowboy and McDonald.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
At Safety, re-sign Goldson and get rid of Whitner. Draft Phillip Thomas S Fresno State in the 2nd round or someone else with his skill set.

At CB, we need a big cover corner to take Rogers place and maybe one other to replace Tremaine Brock who should be gone, too. The second guy should also be able to play special teams.

At OLB, one great pass rusher to rotate in with Aldon and Brooks.

On the DL, at least 2 bodies. One NT who also can provide some pass rush and a rotational DE to supplement Cowboy and McDonald.

All great points.

Whitner is such a liability in the redzone. He just physically cant cover guys like Kyle Rudolph or Dennis Pitta.

Other spots we need to draft are QB(Unless we sign a back-up),Another runing back(Yes I know we have Hunter and James,but neither is an every down back and Gore going to be 29/30 next season),and a kicker. Akers will be cut.
our needs will be a Kicker... than best player available.
We will have something like 14 draft picks, more than enough to reinforce the D line and secondary and pick up a couple skill positions when there is good value along the way.

The loas sucks but the future is so bright it's hard to stay bummed for too long. Look at the leap Kaep made from year 1 to year 2 as a backup... Now give him a full offseason with all the starter reps and its hard not to get excited. Crabs will break out for 16 games next year, VD is starting to gel with the passing game, good times!
The DB's were too aggressive and reacted on the double moves too late. The throws Flacco made were long developing routes with max protect. The d-line whiffed on tackles that would've been sacks and looked helpless like they did chasing Russel Wilson on SNF. That D-line logged a lot of mileage this season with minimal rotation/substitutions. They used te falcons first half blueprint and exposed our lack of pass rush. Too many things went wrong with the entire defense. Need more depth and fresher players.
Have to shore up safety or corner. You can get away with weak corners, as long as the safeties are helping. Or vice-versa. But you cant get away with both.

The deep pass to Dixon at the end of the half is inexcusable. Both defenders on the wrong page in a 2 minute drill. The essence of which is to NOT let up a big play.
Share 49ersWebzone