LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

What is your biggest priority for improving the 2013 roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sick of seeing guys blow coverage.
WRs being wide open.
Goldson going for the huge hit instead of the ball.
OOOoooohhhh we hit hard. Big effing deal.

Lockdown corners and ball hawking safeties wanted.
  • rtj03
  • Veteran
Whither was terrible in the first half just plain awful. Culliver all game too!
Yep, very deficient in the secondary.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Or maybe we could rush the passer.
Agreed. We gotta do some serious cb searching. We can get away with keeping our safeties but those cbs
Goldson and Whitner have been touted as one of the best safety tandems in the NFL, and up until the Patriots second half, they were. Ever since then, they have been torched.
Aldon Smith's arms were limp and hanging by his side throughout the second half. He let rushers go straight by him even when he was in position to make a tackle, and he never got any kind of push. Not having Parys Haralson really hurt our run defense and consequently wore out Aldon as the season progressed.
The lack of tackling was appalling tonight. That was one reason our D was so stout they would wrap up on the tackles. It looked more like people trying to make the highlight reel for ESPN.
At least at corner

Yes, please.
Originally posted by 5NorCalSavage2:
  • fip24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
Aldon Smith's arms were limp and hanging by his side throughout the second half. He let rushers go straight by him even when he was in position to make a tackle, and he never got any kind of push. Not having Parys Haralson really hurt our run defense and consequently wore out Aldon as the season progressed.

I agree but doesn't this say something about Aldon?How is it that I guy at the beginning of his career has been so worn for the last quarter of the season. I don't accept the excuse that he wasn't a 3 down guy last year. Aldon played very poorly tonight
Originally posted by Furlow:
Or maybe we could rush the passer.

This...it ALL comes down to the pass rush, when the pass rush doesn't get it done, the secondary gets toasted. Even the best cornerbacks in football won't be able to hang if the quarterback has forever and a day in the pocket.

That said, I hope people are done drinking the Whitner Kool-Aid...yeah he hits like a mack truck, but he can't cover for s**t.

Additionally they need some more depth at cornerback, there does need to be improvement there, they need some more speed at that position to cover slot wide receivers.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Goldson and Whitner have been touted as one of the best safety tandems in the NFL, and up until the Patriots second half, they were. Ever since then, they have been torched.

JUSTIN SMITH

Its no coincidence that the defense went to hell as soon as he was injured. Without that regular pressure and domination he provides, this defense struggles, he's the guy who makes the defense work. The key is to take the pressure off of him by adding depth at 3-4 DE to rotate him in and out and keep him fresh, but also to add a real nose tackle, someone that demands double-teams, Soap simply hasn't been getting it done at all this season.
I'd really consider letting Whitner go he's been inconsistent this season and today showed how awful he was. And we need a new corner or 2 also as well.
Share 49ersWebzone