LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 175 users in the forums

Analysts' Reasons For Picking Ravens

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by almondJoy:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy MVP for the Ravens may end up being practice-squad QB Dennis Dixon. He has same skill set as Kaepernick and has simulated him for their D.

wow

If Dennis Dixon is so great why has he bounced around the league since he left college and why is he on a practice squad? Blah blah blah

He is not as fast or as tall as Kaep; but he did run a similar offense in college. I don't know what type of arm he has.

It's not simply Kaep's athleticism the Ravens have to worry about, it's the scheme they run + the dominance and skill of this whole offense working together + Kaep's athleticism. Dennis Dixon = Joe Webb. Remember how playing against him was supposed to help the Packers? LOL
Those reasons are damn stupid but its even more stupid for us to think that we have this wrapped up already. If Baltimore can protect flaco and get ray rice involved, not necessarily just in the rushing game, its going to make for a very anxious 3 hours. They had just as much time as we did to prepare and I'm sure their coaching staff and defense are prepared to try and limit kaepernick on the ground and through the air.
I get why people are picking the Ravens, they are a good team that's healthy for the first time all year, playing balls out at the right time and are riding a wave of emotion. They see what happened with the Giants last year and assume that the Ravens are the 2012 NY Giants. The Packers did the same thing in 2010, getting healthy right at the end and storming through the playoffs beating everyone. They are also the trendy pick because everyone loves a feel good story, and people no matter how much they like to pretend, are never completely objective. We make decisions more based on emotions than on logic.

The problem is that the 49ers are an even better team who is playing they're best football right now too, and just because you don't see them screaming and crying and talking about God doesn't mean they aren't JUST as fired up and confident as the Ravens are. The NFC is a lot better than the AFC, which is a big reason why those past two super bowl winners beat their AFC counterparts with much better records. That isn't going to just flip flop tomorrow..
Originally posted by Muggins:
That Haley Joel Osment kid picked us and he's picked 12/13 past Super Bowl winners.

HALEY JOEL OSMENT, actor; has picked 12 of the last 13 Super Bowl winners, missing only in 2008: 49ers, 28-24. This is looking like a classic Super Bowl in the making, and certainly one of the toughest picks I remember facing. San Francisco's recovery from a 17-point deficit (in the championship) convinced me that they have the will to pull out a victory down the stretch.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/sports/sports_blogs_national/115-celebrities-predict-2013-Super-Bowl-results-San-Francisco-49ers-VS--Baltimore-Ravens1359718109617#ixzz2JmR8aPMb

The kid is a good actor, and either really lucky at picking SuperBowl winners or is very good at it, either way, Ya!!! except it doesn't mean anything
I've been listening to talk radio all week and here is a compilation of what the talking heads of said.

49ers win if...

Colin Kaepernick can continue his high streak through the playoffs, and a balanced offense with Gore, Crabtree, Davis, Moss, Walker, and James are too fast and formidable for the aging Raven's defense. Also, the Niners are able to get good pressure bringing 4 against Flacco and he regresses to the mean to his average season.

Key Players: Colin Kaepernick and Aldon Smith

Ravens win if...

Joe Flacco can connect on several long passes, opening up the Niners' defense and creating running lanes for Rice and Pierce. Colin Kaepernick struggles against a predominate 4 man rush attack, including Ngata, Suggs, and Kruger. With constant pressure and good containment, Kaepernick makes some 'rookie' mistakes that have yet alluded him.

Key Players: Joe Flacco and Ed Reed
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
That Haley Joel Osment kid picked us and he's picked 12/13 past Super Bowl winners.

Quote:
HALEY JOEL OSMENT, actor; has picked 12 of the last 13 Super Bowl winners, missing only in 2008: 49ers, 28-24. This is looking like a classic Super Bowl in the making, and certainly one of the toughest picks I remember facing. San Francisco's recovery from a 17-point deficit (in the championship) convinced me that they have the will to pull out a victory down the stretch.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/sports/sports_blogs_national/115-celebrities-predict-2013-Super-Bowl-results-San-Francisco-49ers-VS--Baltimore-Ravens1359718109617#ixzz2JmR8aPMb

The kid is a good actor, and either really lucky at picking SuperBowl winners or is very good at it, either way, Ya!!! except it doesn't mean anything

The kid sees dead people. Superbowl winner shouldn't be that hard.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Quote:

The kid sees dead people. Superbowl winner shouldn't be that hard.

BOOOM! /thread
Ravens are going to get smacked in the mouth.

They have no idea what they are in for. They have not seen a team that even resembles the 49ers all season. Offense is gonna have that defense on their heals, and the Defense is gonna be knocking heads.

.......I see Super Bowl Winners......

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

They have no idea what they are in for. They have not seen a team that even resembles the 49ers all season. Offense is gonna have that defense on their heals, and the Defense is gonna be knocking heads.

I think the bolded is the biggest thing that the talking heads are failing to recognize, they say we havent played a team like baltimore yet this season, but we have played defenses that are much better, offenses that are bigger deep threats, and dynamic running offenses. The closest thing they have faced to our defense is a injury plagued Steelers, and a Denver team that blitzes more then normal to have a dynamic pass rush. Not so worried about this one the "analysts" can spend all there time talking about the voodoo, and good karma & team of destiny bs that comes from Ray Lewis talking to God LOL

Originally posted by LoneWolf:

I think the bolded is the biggest thing that the talking heads are failing to recognize, they say we havent played a team like baltimore yet this season, but we have played defenses that are much better, offenses that are bigger deep threats, and dynamic running offenses. The closest thing they have faced to our defense is a injury plagued Steelers, and a Denver team that blitzes more then normal to have a dynamic pass rush. Not so worried about this one the "analysts" can spend all there time talking about the voodoo, and good karma & team of destiny bs that comes from Ray Lewis talking to God LOL

Amen. The closer we get to the game, the less nervous I've been. I've dissected every facet of the game at this point, and I really think we're going to kick their ass. We win by 10 at minimum.
Just a few minutes ago on the local sports radio show here in Seattle, John Clayton of all people (world famous 49er hater) said that he "almost guarantees a win for the 49ers." That's how strongly he feels about our team after spending time with us at our practices this week.

He said of the Harbaugh brothers, it's actually Jim that has been more relaxed, calm and organized this week and teams tend to mimic the attitude and behavior of their coaches.

Verrrrrrrrrrry interesting!
Originally posted by pete98146:
Just a few minutes ago on the local sports radio show here in Seattle, John Clayton of all people (world famous 49er hater) said that he "almost guarantees a win for the 49ers." That's how strongly he feels about our team after spending time with us at our practices this week.

He said of the Harbaugh brothers, it's actually Jim that has been more relaxed, calm and organized this week and teams tend to mimic the attitude and behavior of their coaches.

Verrrrrrrrrrry interesting!

He's been all about Kaep though. And since Alex is heading for FA or trade, he's been higher on him too.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Amen. The closer we get to the game, the less nervous I've been. I've dissected every facet of the game at this point, and I really think we're going to kick their ass. We win by 10 at minimum.

We played the whos who of teams in the NFL this season, and more often than not we came out on top. The played probably the most diverse schedule of any team that made it to the playoffs, and the team as a hole is the definition of the term. I cant remember in modern times a team that is more team oriented, and more diverse in the way they can beat you. This 49ers team is no Joke. again the ravens dont have a clue as to what they are in for.
I feel differently than you guys. I feel like the analysts think we (Ravens) don't have any business in the game. As if we're the 89 Broncos against the Super 9ers.

Both teams were 1 special team blunder away from going to back to back Superbowls. The analysts are just lazy and refuse to dig deep into the game and give equal time to both teams.

For example:

Ray Rice in the screen game. He is a mismatch vs any team and will have to be accounted for.
Justin and Aldon Smith vs our revamped left side. Our RG, Osemele is huge and is nasty. This should be a key. How about Leach destroying your linebackers last year on iso blocks.
Just a few things that could be key but analysts think we're here because every team we played had bad games.

This game is going to be amazing and no matter who wins I'm gooing to be proud of my team.
Share 49ersWebzone