There are 318 users in the forums

Welcome Raven Fans: A gentleman/woman's thread...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by foreign49er:
This game is so even and, really, I don't have any hatred for this Ravens team as I have for every other team we've played in the playoffs. I bet a lot of you didn't know this (since we sucked back then), but we used to be referred to as "Ravens West" since we had so many players/coaches who came from your team. I think it shows in the style of teams we have.

We both have bruising O-lines and rely on the run with great defenses to back them up. The QBs are different but they're essentially asked to do the same things, only that Flacoo has a prettier deep ball and Kap is quicker.

Also, how comfortable are you guys knowing that our DC used to be your DC? Do you think that impacts the game? I think we're a better overall team but I wouldn't be surprised if you guys won. If you can run and stop the run against us you will more than likely beat us. Other than that, welcome to the 'zone!

Damn if you put flaccos cannon with Kaep you would have a damn good good quarterback. We have no reason to hate you guys at all, i actually like to watch you guys since being a big Terp fan too its always fun to watch alums (vernon davis) excel in the NFL.

Two years ago when Jim Harbs was still at Stanford once his season ended they would always show him on the sideline of Ravens games, and he would offer advice to John during the weeks in between playoff games. But having Fangio be your DC doesn't really effect us too much. The line of coaches that have spread through the NFL that at one point coached Ray Lewis is insane. We beat our last years d coordinator, Pagano, first round of the playoffs. We play against Marvin Lewis twice a year, Rex Ryan a couple times. If you have time you should watch that Ray Lewis coaching tree special on youtube its pretty amazing.
I'm curious, my Baltimore friends. Aren't you guys getting a bit tired/embarrassed by Ray Lewis' extremely silly faux-preacher act? Like most other 49ers fans here I have nothing but respect for the way the Ravens have played all these years and for the way the organisation conducts itself in general. Obviously I want us to win, but the Ravens are no villains in this story like the Cowboys, Packers or Giants. But Ray Lewis is trying really, REALLY hard to annoy me.

I'm not religious at all (to put it mildly). Aren't people who are religious however a bit tired of all this god-cares-about-a-football-player business? How self-centred can you get? Again, I don't want to turn this into a Ray Lewis-hatred thread, I'm just curious. If it were one of our high profile players (say Willis or Frank) carrying on like that, I would cringe like I was listening to an embarrassing uncle of mine in a public gathering.
  • Tical
  • Veteran
What's happening Superbowl runner-ups?
I've got nothing bad to say about the Niners at all. I'm too young to have any recollection of the Baltimore Colts, so the 49ers were my team those years we didn't have one. I developed hate for the Cowboys, cheered for Prime/Rice/Watters/Floyd/Norton/Young in '94, got JJ Stokes cards thinking they would be worth something(smh), celebrated Young to Owens, felt your pain when Garrison Hearst broke his leg the next game...so I remain a Niners fan to this day. But once we got a home team they became my #1. This will be a great SB. If the Ravens would happen to lose I wouldn't even be mad. And I would love for Moss to get his ring.

And yeah Preacher Ray is pretty annoying and crazy, but hey that intensity is what has led to HOF play and guidance for the D. I reaaaally doubt with all the things going on God cares about who wins a football game
[ Edited by Tical on Jan 23, 2013 at 6:12 AM ]
Originally posted by Pitta:
Damn if you put flaccos cannon with Kaep you would have a damn good good quarterback. We have no reason to hate you guys at all, i actually like to watch you guys since being a big Terp fan too its always fun to watch alums (vernon davis) excel in the NFL.

Two years ago when Jim Harbs was still at Stanford once his season ended they would always show him on the sideline of Ravens games, and he would offer advice to John during the weeks in between playoff games. But having Fangio be your DC doesn't really effect us too much. The line of coaches that have spread through the NFL that at one point coached Ray Lewis is insane. We beat our last years d coordinator, Pagano, first round of the playoffs. We play against Marvin Lewis twice a year, Rex Ryan a couple times. If you have time you should watch that Ray Lewis coaching tree special on youtube its pretty amazing.
Kaps got the best arm in the nfl and its not close!
Originally posted by paulk205:
I'm curious, my Baltimore friends. Aren't you guys getting a bit tired/embarrassed by Ray Lewis' extremely silly faux-preacher act? Like most other 49ers fans here I have nothing but respect for the way the Ravens have played all these years and for the way the organisation conducts itself in general. Obviously I want us to win, but the Ravens are no villains in this story like the Cowboys, Packers or Giants. But Ray Lewis is trying really, REALLY hard to annoy me.

I'm not religious at all (to put it mildly). Aren't people who are religious however a bit tired of all this god-cares-about-a-football-player business? How self-centred can you get? Again, I don't want to turn this into a Ray Lewis-hatred thread, I'm just curious. If it were one of our high profile players (say Willis or Frank) carrying on like that, I would cringe like I was listening to an embarrassing uncle of mine in a public gathering.
Ray Lewis has been like that for years. Maybe not quite as much as he has been the past few weeks, but essentially he has always been a spiritual man. So to most Ravens fans, it's nothing out of the ordinary. Having said that, I can see that to an outsider, it appears a little over-the-top.

Just like his dance. Trust me on this- you go to M&T Bank, it is a highlight of the game and gets Ravens fans pumped up from go. Once again, it appears over-the-top to outsiders.

The thing is....Lewis has friends on about every team in the NFL. That tells you something right there.
Originally posted by Tical:
What's happening Superbowl runner-ups?
I've got nothing bad to say about the Niners at all. I'm too young to have any recollection of the Baltimore Colts, so the 49ers were my team those years we didn't have one. I developed hate for the Cowboys, cheered for Prime/Rice/Watters/Floyd/Norton/Young in '94, got JJ Stokes cards thinking they would be worth something(smh), celebrated Young to Owens, felt your pain when Garrison Hearst broke his leg the next game...so I remain a Niners fan to this day. But once we got a home team they became my #1. This will be a great SB. If the Ravens would happen to lose I wouldn't even be mad. And I would love for Moss to get his ring.

And yeah Preacher Ray is pretty annoying and crazy, but hey that intensity is what has led to HOF play and guidance for the D. I reaaaally doubt with all the things going on God cares about who wins a football game

Welcome...the 49ers don't lose superbowls! 5-0

This must be a nice time for you guys. To bad you have to run into us!
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:

I know why you feel that way, but seriously, this Niners team is not the Montana-Young-Rice-Lott teams of the 80's and early 90's. Not to say that San Francisco cannot win this SB, as they most certainly can. But it is nowhere near a given.
Originally posted by Crow-Magnon:

Ray Lewis has been like that for years. Maybe not quite as much as he has been the past few weeks, but essentially he has always been a spiritual man. So to most Ravens fans, it's nothing out of the ordinary. Having said that, I can see that to an outsider, it appears a little over-the-top.

Just like his dance. Trust me on this- you go to M&T Bank, it is a highlight of the game and gets Ravens fans pumped up from go. Once again, it appears over-the-top to outsiders.

The thing is....Lewis has friends on about every team in the NFL. That tells you something right there.

I don't mind the dance, I actually like that. It has been his drama the last couple of weeks that is giving me a reason to actually hate BAL. otherwise, your team is solid all around. His game will be a tough one to figure out or it will be 3-0 49ers for all we know. :)

I think Jim should stay out of the game plan this week since his bro knows him so well. He should let Roman and Fangio do there thing while providing them with advice.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:13 AM ]
Originally posted by Pitta:

I'm pretty sure Kaep already has a bigger cannon than Flacco
I probably have more respect for Baltimore than other NFL team. Outside of my 9ers, of course. From top to bottom, this game feels like the Older Brother Ravens vs the Younger Brother 9ers. Its not just the John vs Jim stuff, either.

We imported Nolan from Baltimore to be our head coach and he tried to create what many here called "Ravens West" with his emphasis on defense, etc. Sing (who came with Nolan) tried his best to change the culture with his "hit'em in the mouth" talk. Like him or not (I don't), you can see his stamp on our team. Neither of these guys were good HC's, but they did lay a lot of the foundation this team is built on, and did so using a style similar to Baltimore.

Ray Lewis may be an annoying preacher today, but he's still the greatest LB of his generation (at least). Willis will probably be considered the greatest of his generation, and the mentor relationship between the two is well documented.

There are plenty of other similarities which give this game a "passing of the torch" kinda feel imo, and it's going to be a rough game with an old school feel to it. I can't wait to watch.

Originally posted by Joecool:

I don't mind the dance, I actually like that. It has been his drama the last couple of weeks that is giving me a reason to actually hate BAL. otherwise, your team is solid all around. His game will be a tough one to figure out or it will be 3-0 49ers for all we know. :)

I think Jim should stay out of the game plan this week since his bro knows him so well. He should let Roman and Fangio do there thing while providing them with advice.

Being a non-religious person and a Niner fan, I kind of just roll my eye (oh, brother style) BUT, whatever gets your team pumped-up. It's shown that people on the team really rally around that. Ray has the ability to "make his presents felt" as Dilfer put it. So to me, it wouldn't make a difference if he was acting like he was riding around on a unicorn and talking about pixie-dust! If it gets the team focused and pumped.... whatever works! Here's what we do know, the guys is a very talented speaker. And I'd bet he could still pump any team up with unicorns and pixie dust talk!

On the other note Joecool, I had the same thought about Jim staying out of the game plan, I'm worried he might over think it.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
One thing about Flacco- he hasn't missed a snap in five years. And when you play the Steelers two, sometimes three times a season, that's saying something. QB's like Kaep worry me, as they run a higher risk of injury.

QBs like Kaep? Kaep is a big dude. There hasn't been many QBs as big and fast as him. Plus, the GB game was more of an aberration than the norm. He's a passing who runs if the D gives him space and may have a run or two called per game.

That is pretty impressive about Flacco. And, a track record of heath give a franchise great insurance. Is it P.Manning who hold the record of consecutive starts?

Keaps career doesn't have the time to say that, but as far as I know, he's been pretty healthy his hole college and short short short NFL career.

What's going over shaddowed, and good for the Niner, is that Keap's arm/pocket QB ability is just overshadowed by the flashy running ability. He hasn't shown me any reason for concern that he can't be great without his legs. I mean, just look at last weeks game. Seriously. he didn't run but once. and That isn't the first time. When he does run, it's a BURN and he never gets touched, he had 170 yards against green bay untouched! But he did take an unnecessary hit once... and an unnecessary unsportsmanlike conduct. so... two reason not to get hit beyond injury.

Writing from DC, I completely understand what you're saying. An aspect of this that I don't think has been touched upon is the fact that Lewis has been a Raven for just about as long as the Ravens have been in Baltimore. In a lot of ways he is the embodiment of the franchise in a way that few players have ever been. Think about it this way, Lewis has been a Raven for as long as Earl Weaver managed the O's. That's pretty amazing, and I believe it helps to explain the sorta "Cult of Ray" thing that has sprung up in Baltimore.

Pretty bizarre though, looking at it from the outside in.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:

I know why you feel that way, but seriously, this Niners team is not the Montana-Young-Rice-Lott teams of the 80's and early 90's. Not to say that San Francisco cannot win this SB, as they most certainly can. But it is nowhere near a given.
you know so many fans , especially in ninerland , are so love struck with the arm of ck because its something they have not seen for a long time. i am sure ravens fans are also in love with the arm of joe cuz it gives them another dimension however i feel this game will still boil down to the defense and the running game for each team. both of these teams run it well, both are physical, both tackle so very well. if both quarterbacks go out there and light it up fine,, but i think this will be a old school school yard king of the mountain game which would make vince lombardi very very proud
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
One thing about Flacco- he hasn't missed a snap in five years. And when you play the Steelers two, sometimes three times a season, that's saying something. QB's like Kaep worry me, as they run a higher risk of injury.

QBs like Kaep? Kaep is a big dude. There hasn't been many QBs as big and fast as him. Plus, the GB game was more of an aberration than the norm. He's a passing who runs if the D gives him space and may have a run or two called per game.

That is pretty impressive about Flacco. And, a track record of heath give a franchise great insurance. Is it P.Manning who hold the record of consecutive starts?

Keaps career doesn't have the time to say that, but as far as I know, he's been pretty healthy his hole college and short short short NFL career.

What's going over shaddowed, and good for the Niner, is that Keap's arm/pocket QB ability is just overshadowed by the flashy running ability. He hasn't shown me any reason for concern that he can't be great without his legs. I mean, just look at last weeks game. Seriously. he didn't run but once. and That isn't the first time. When he does run, it's a BURN and he never gets touched, he had 170 yards against green bay untouched! But he did take an unnecessary hit once... and an unnecessary unsportsmanlike conduct. so... two reason not to get hit beyond injury.

Flacco hasn't missed a snap in 5 years? Matt Ryan only missed 2 games in the last 5 years...doesn't mean we still can't put a hurt on.
Share 49ersWebzone