LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
old school, the toughest playoff loss was 1972 to dallas when we blew a two touchdown lead in the fourth quarter, gosslet our field goal kicker missed a chip shot(wow where have we heard that), we fumbled an onside kick and then when we were driving to try to win the damn thing, a big pass play by brodie gets called back. dallas went on to lose to the redskins in the title game.
last years NFCC game, only because its a lot fresher than the others.
Gotta be the three peat loss in 90. Last year hurt, but the three peat game all we had to do was run out the damn clock. Craig's primary concern was to not fumble... DAMN!!!!
1983-84 NFC Title Game Loss to the Redskins 24-21. Phantom PI calls against Ronnie Lott and Eric Wright were the difference. That sucked.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by ninersoul:
Oooohhhh, wow. So what'cha gonna do? Have some cops come over to my crib and investigate me and my motive on creating this thread?

LOL

Jeez....I swear some of you folks allow yo'emotions take yall too ILLOGICAL places.

What?
I told you that your thread is s**tty and that is all I am going to do.
I don't care what your motive was and I don't care if you are a s**tty fan.

You two are just about to pick up a two week suspension. Don't even breathe heavily right now.
None of them, that ish is in the past no reason to look back there, we are in the superbowl now. get over it and move on.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:

The Niners were great at overcoming their demons on the 3rd try. Really felt Eddie D. built that team (through FA) to overcome the Packers, but lo and behold...Favre gutted us again. As great as Steve Young was (for some of you youngsters that didnt see him play), his career was almost an exact copy of Peyton Manning's. Unstoppable in the regular season, always coming up short in the big games.

No doubt in my mind Young lost playoff games that Montana would've won.

Maybe.

The problem with the 90s version of the 49ers (as opposed to the 80s) is that Niner brass became enamored with the QB position and forgot about everyone else. We had the Young-Rice combo, but really no one running the ball until Hearst came along. Our defense was atrocious for most of those years, and we had to rely on outscoring opponents to win ball games. Dont know whether or not an aging Montana could overcome those odds, but for sure I do feel we wouldve beaten Dallas at least 2/3 times in the early 90s with him as QB.

As the 90s wore on, you may be right. 90 - 94 they fielded a top 10 D three times though. Without the Marshall sack, I think Joe would have won two (perhaps three) more SBs.
Think about it, even after two years off, he looked pretty good playing for the Chiefs. You remember the games he put up agains Young and Elway right?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
1983-84 NFC Title Game Loss to the Redskins 24-21. Phantom PI calls against Ronnie Lott and Eric Wright were the difference. That sucked.

Actually, it was PI on Wright and Holding on Lott...but both were TERRIBLE calls. I'll never forget Lott had his hands up in the air...holding? Gave Moseley a chipshot, which he needed since he had been 0-4 that day. Of course this was after Niners came back to tie 21-21 after being down 21-0 going into 4th qtr. For me this game will always rank up there with the Williams and Craig fumbles as toughest losses ever.
Roger Craig. We were heading for our third straight title -- something no team had ever done before.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Over the half the site was sleeping in a crib when the losses in the early 90s happened.

Originally posted by Mankster:

The Niners were great at overcoming their demons on the 3rd try. Really felt Eddie D. built that team (through FA) to overcome the Packers, but lo and behold...Favre gutted us again. As great as Steve Young was (for some of you youngsters that didnt see him play), his career was almost an exact copy of Peyton Manning's. Unstoppable in the regular season, always coming up short in the big games.

No doubt in my mind Young lost playoff games that Montana would've won.

Maybe.

The problem with the 90s version of the 49ers (as opposed to the 80s) is that Niner brass became enamored with the QB position and forgot about everyone else. We had the Young-Rice combo, but really no one running the ball until Hearst came along. Our defense was atrocious for most of those years, and we had to rely on outscoring opponents to win ball games. Dont know whether or not an aging Montana could overcome those odds, but for sure I do feel we wouldve beaten Dallas at least 2/3 times in the early 90s with him as QB.

As the 90s wore on, you may be right. 90 - 94 they fielded a top 10 D three times though. Without the Marshall sack, I think Joe would have won two (perhaps three) more SBs.
Think about it, even after two years off, he looked pretty good playing for the Chiefs. You remember the games he put up agains Young and Elway right?

I agree. Thats why I said Montana would have likely beaten Dallas at least 2/3 times in the early 90s. But like Young, I dont think he wouldve stood a chance in 95 vs GB, especially when a shady defense and no running game (Derek Loville anyone?) In essence, probably missed out on another ring or 2 with the loss of Montana.
Who cares, we won this year - we won.

We're going to the bloody Super Bowl.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
Over the half the site was sleeping in a crib when the losses in the early 90s happened.

That is probably the only reason why the 1990 game isn't winning. I think I was in shock over that for months. Last year's loss didn't bother me very long because the team went way further than I am sure most of us expected.
Originally posted by kray28:

i was 4 or 5
ALL OF THEM !!!!!!!!!!!

But I still refuse to talk about 1990 ...that s**t still hurts
Share 49ersWebzone