There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Originally posted by ninersoul:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:

The Niners were great at overcoming their demons on the 3rd try. Really felt Eddie D. built that team (through FA) to overcome the Packers, but lo and behold...Favre gutted us again. As great as Steve Young was (for some of you youngsters that didnt see him play), his career was almost an exact copy of Peyton Manning's. Unstoppable in the regular season, always coming up short in the big games.

No doubt in my mind Young lost playoff games that Montana would've won.

Maybe.

The problem with the 90s version of the 49ers (as opposed to the 80s) is that Niner brass became enamored with the QB position and forgot about everyone else. We had the Young-Rice combo, but really no one running the ball until Hearst came along. Our defense was atrocious for most of those years, and we had to rely on outscoring opponents to win ball games. Dont know whether or not an aging Montana could overcome those odds, but for sure I do feel we wouldve beaten Dallas at least 2/3 times in the early 90s with him as QB.
All of the above. That's why I hate the cowboys packers and giants so much.... Let's just hope the falcons don't make the list. Enought negative let's go Niners!
1990 Championship Game!!!! No Three-peat, Rodger Craig's last game as a Niner, Ronnie Lott's last game as a Niner and Except for one half of a game in 92 it was Joe Montana's last game as a Niner, In my Opinion it was the most depressing game of the Niners franchise history, even worse then the 87 Vikings loss
Originally posted by captveg:
I'm pretty sure the Rice TD called back was in the 1993 game (January '94 in Dallas), not the 1992 game (January '93 in SF).

No, It was the 1992 NFC Championship game at Candlestick and 20 years later it still wasn't a hold

http://youtu.be/Zzr25KwVoQo?t=7m10s

As for the question it is a toss up between '90 and '92, I would lean towards '90 just for the three-peat aspect.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM ]
The one we're going to lose this Sunday (J/K)
After the loss last year, I went out and sat in my driveway and just looked at the stars for about an hour I'm guessing. I was exhausted, not only from that game but a lot of the games played. That whole season as a whole took a toll on me. Came back in and didn't open this site, nor even think of football for like 2 months.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Muggins:
Roger Craig. I cried. I was 12.

Toughest Niner loss ever.
ALL OF THEM!!!!!!
Originally posted by captveg:
I'm pretty sure the Rice TD called back was in the 1993 game (January '94 in Dallas), not the 1992 game (January '93 in SF).

I am pretty sure your wrong. It is vice versa.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
upon further research it was actually training camp 1991 that joe felt a pop in his throwing elbow...so he was prob trying to rush back after only 6.5 months (memories of the threat steve had posed in '88 when bill walsh had ignited the original "QB Controversy" were probably still lingering for joe)...he did probably try to attempt some warmup throws in a preseason game in seattle (i distinctly remember reading about this) but was shelved for the first 2 months of the season as a precaution...then it was october (after exhausting all options and different doctors' opinions) that joe and 49ers management finally decided to go through with surgery on the elbow (everyone was rightly concerned cos a similar procedure and rushing back from it prematurely ended terry bradshaw's career). so all this drama combined with erratic play by steve (this year's W-W-L has nothing on the seeming W-L-W-L...pattern of sept-oct '91) and you have a demoralizing first half of the season...then steve himself got hurt against atlanta and bono steps in and plays well, igniting another mini-QB controversy...the Niners finally get it together in the 2nd half of '91 but by then they were needing a lot of help just to get the #6 seed and in the end fell short. Joe was still trying to rush back in the '92 offseason from a procedure that usually recommends a full year off...49ers comply and don't even play him till the '92 season finale, but by then Steve had solidified his starter role and Joe would stand on the sidelines during the playoffs...

Cool recap on some 49er history.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
After the loss last year, I went out and sat in my driveway and just looked at the stars for about an hour I'm guessing. I was exhausted, not only from that game but a lot of the games played. That whole season as a whole took a toll on me. Came back in and didn't open this site, nor even think of football for like 2 months.

Yeah. After rooting for your team for so long a big season ending loss can temporarily affect you psychologically. It affected me after the title game loss by the Packers in the '97 title game.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Maybe.

The problem with the 90s version of the 49ers (as opposed to the 80s) is that Niner brass became enamored with the QB position and forgot about everyone else. We had the Young-Rice combo, but really no one running the ball until Hearst came along. Our defense was atrocious for most of those years, and we had to rely on outscoring opponents to win ball games. Dont know whether or not an aging Montana could overcome those odds, but for sure I do feel we wouldve beaten Dallas at least 2/3 times in the early 90s with him as QB.

I think Ricky Watters was a great fit for the 49ers running attack. He was great for the passing game but once we let him go to the Eagles there was a very noticable difference in our running game. The 49ers were one game away from the Super Bowl 3 times in the 90s. I think what mainly contributed to some of their title game losses of that decade was Steve Young throwing a crucial interception (one vs. the Cowboys in the '92 and one vs. the Packers in the '97 title games). Montana was the better decision maker in big games in which I think would've made the difference in how many rings the 9ers would've won in the 90s.
Originally posted by boast:
1990. not only was i heartbroken about the loss, i lost a $500 bet on the game which was a lot for a 20 year old at the time. it was the last time i bet money on sports.

Whoa!
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
get this bad mojo the F outta HERE!!!

Agreed.

But Craig's fumble
Since I've only been a fan since 2005, it's last year's loss for me.