LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 202 users in the forums

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
everyone thought he had fully recovered between that january loss and august when preseason started and would be the starter in '91...

don't remember if he actually played any snaps or just re-aggravated his elbow injury (from the leonard marshall hit) during pregame warmups against seattle, but at first it seemed like a minor tweak and a routine late lineup scratch that joe sit out that preseason game...then it was big news that hit everyone like a ton of bricks when it was revealed during the week follwoing that it would lead to season-ending elbow surgery...talk about demoralizing

I bet it was demoralizing.

One time i watched that Leonard Marshall hit on Montana in slow motion and it definitely looked like he intentionally injured Montana.
1990 Rogers fumble, by far. Funny I was at a show the month before I had him sign a numbered lithograph of an original water color painting, of him high stepping with the words - 3 Peat! Bad luck no doubt. Sighhh his lithograph never did get hung up in my office/shrine to the 49ers..

It was incredible, The Stick was just stunned. then freakin Bavaro made 3 straight big plays to get within FG range..we know the end of the story..

New day now though..GO NINERS!!!
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Jan 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM ]
Man Craig's fumble coupled with the Montana injury made that the toughest game I've ever watched and its not even close.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Roger Croig

Croig = Gire
Eh in all fairness last years loss wasn't completely on Kyle Williams. If we had better production in the passing game, it would have never come down to that.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
2011 god I was there and it just devastated me till this day. That was our game guys our defense showed heart that day Ive never seen a defesne perform under pressure like that. We should have beat the Pats last year. Oh well lets win it all this year so close.
I'm pretty sure the Rice TD called back was in the 1993 game (January '94 in Dallas), not the 1992 game (January '93 in SF).
Originally posted by ninersoul:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
everyone thought he had fully recovered between that january loss and august when preseason started and would be the starter in '91...

don't remember if he actually played any snaps or just re-aggravated his elbow injury (from the leonard marshall hit) during pregame warmups against seattle, but at first it seemed like a minor tweak and a routine late lineup scratch that joe sit out that preseason game...then it was big news that hit everyone like a ton of bricks when it was revealed during the week follwoing that it would lead to season-ending elbow surgery...talk about demoralizing

I bet it was demoralizing.

One time i watched that Leonard Marshall hit on Montana in slow motion and it definitely looked like he intentionally injured Montana.

upon further research it was actually training camp 1991 that joe felt a pop in his throwing elbow...so he was prob trying to rush back after only 6.5 months (memories of the threat steve had posed in '88 when bill walsh had ignited the original "QB Controversy" were probably still lingering for joe)...he did probably try to attempt some warmup throws in a preseason game in seattle (i distinctly remember reading about this) but was shelved for the first 2 months of the season as a precaution...then it was october (after exhausting all options and different doctors' opinions) that joe and 49ers management finally decided to go through with surgery on the elbow (everyone was rightly concerned cos a similar procedure and rushing back from it prematurely ended terry bradshaw's career). so all this drama combined with erratic play by steve (this year's W-W-L has nothing on the seeming W-L-W-L...pattern of sept-oct '91) and you have a demoralizing first half of the season...then steve himself got hurt against atlanta and bono steps in and plays well, igniting another mini-QB controversy...the Niners finally get it together in the 2nd half of '91 but by then they were needing a lot of help just to get the #6 seed and in the end fell short. Joe was still trying to rush back in the '92 offseason from a procedure that usually recommends a full year off...49ers comply and don't even play him till the '92 season finale, but by then Steve had solidified his starter role and Joe would stand on the sidelines during the playoffs...
If Williams doesn't do that we have the game won. And go to the Super Bowl. After so long of suffering.

Not to worry. We will go this year.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
1990. not only was i heartbroken about the loss, i lost a $500 bet on the game which was a lot for a 20 year old at the time. it was the last time i bet money on sports.

Originally posted by rkshanny:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Roger Croig

Croig = Gire

And the Great Jon Marvin
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Roger Craig. I cried. I was 12.
From a historical point of view the 1990 fumble by Craig, a win in the Super Bowl would have made us the unquestioned Greatest Team of All Time. From an emotional point of view the 1992 loss to the Cowboys was the worst for me.
2012 against Atlanta
Originally posted by xela510:
2012 against Atlanta

Share 49ersWebzone