LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 394 users in the forums

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Too young to remember '90, '92. Started watching the 49ers in '93 and that loss sucked. '97 sucked harder because I was so sick and tired of losing to the Pack.

2011 was the most devastating for me. That season felt like magic, and to have it end they way it did was devastating. We didn't beat ourselves with turnovers all year long until that game. We beat the living s**t out of Eli and still lost. The offense looked like s**t too, so I can't put it all on Williams.
1990 roger craig fumble. That play was supposed to milk clock to salt away a win so that we could goto the Super Bowl and 3-PEAT!!!! A 3-PEAT has never been achieved before. That loss hurt and 2011 ranks 2nd for me though oddly enough I believe we were certain to beat that Patriot team as opposed to that Bills juggernaut in 1990. Parcells coached his butt off in that one. Otis Anderson MVP a 36 yo RB?? it was a perfectly coached game with Jeff Hostetler at QB for Phil Simms
The Rodger Craig fumble. That was a sure win in the Superbowl. The Niner's would have blown out Buffalo. Young would have had a break out game.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
I don't swallow...ever. Not my style.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
The three peat killer was tough to swallow. Would have solidified Montana and those niners as the best in NFL history.

This
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
I don't swallow...ever. Not my style.

How do you eat or drink then?
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
All of them... Although the Redskins game where Ronnie Lott got flagged for PI on a pass that it ended up in the stands (okay not the stands but you get my point), setting up the Redskins to win it. That game was so badly officiated, that some feel it's the reason we have instant replay. (some people being mostly me and my friends) Raider went on to beat the Skins, we would have crushed the Raiders in the true battle of the bay, that never was!

We got screwed over that game ...refs were letting them play , but calling some b******t on us

I believe that would have been back to back Superbowl's with the 81 game. I'm still pissed about that, it's on thing to get out played, or fumble, it's another to watch the reffs just screw you over!
Bug eyes fumbling our chance at threepeat. Dam makes me mad just thinking bout it! Why did I respond to this thread!!! Arghhhhhh
1990 was the worst. I was devestated after that game. Although I would say 1992 might be equal. I knew DAL was an up and coming team, but that loss completely blindsided me. That Alvin Harper slant still feels like a stomach punch.
Hands down, 1990. They had that game in hand, deep in Giants territory. And then the refs let a Giants receiver get away with one of the most blatant offensive pass interference push-offs I've ever seen. And then, the fricking Giants are all holding hands on the sideline praying for their guy to make a field goal. Horrible. One field goal deep in Giants territory and the Niners had a chance to be the only team ever to three-peat! And, they absolutely would have destroyed the Bills that year. The Kyle Williams game was brutal, but did anyone seriously expect them to even be there that season?

They were all tough, but 2011 was hard bc of how long we were in the seller, and how good we had become.... it was all a dream that season.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
All of them... Although the Redskins game where Ronnie Lott got flagged for PI on a pass that it ended up in the stands (okay not the stands but you get my point), setting up the Redskins to win it. That game was so badly officiated, that some feel it's the reason we have instant replay. (some people being mostly me and my friends) Raider went on to beat the Skins, we would have crushed the Raiders in the true battle of the bay, that never was!

We got screwed over that game ...refs were letting them play , but calling some b******t on us

I believe that would have been back to back Superbowl's with the 81 game. I'm still pissed about that, it's on thing to get out played, or fumble, it's another to watch the reffs just screw you over!

Close, but no cigar. Yes, it would have been back to back, but it would have been '83 and '84. The '83 season NFC Championship game in DC was a complete fiasco. How do you call face guarding on Ronnie Lott when replays show he had his arms down at his sides. The refs simply decided they weren't going to let Montana come back and take that game away from the Redskins, period. They came back the next season on a complete mission - the '84 team just rolled. Let's hope this team comes back this year on a similar mission.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Close, but no cigar. Yes, it would have been back to back, but it would have been '83 and '84. The '83 season NFC Championship game in DC was a complete fiasco. How do you call face guarding on Ronnie Lott when replays show he had his arms down at his sides. The refs simply decided they weren't going to let Montana come back and take that game away from the Redskins, period. They came back the next season on a complete mission - the '84 team just rolled. Let's hope this team comes back this year on a similar mission.

I went with the Craig fumble. Just the whole intensity of that game. Man, I truly hated LT after that game. WE HAD THE BALL! We never did get to beat the stuffing out of Buffalo like the Cowboys did. Of course, the Giants just managed to scrape their way to through the bowl. Am I alone in being the guy that wanted Buffalo to win every one of those Super Bowls they played? DOH!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
They were all tough, but 2011 was hard bc of how long we were in the seller, and how good we had become.... it was all a dream that season.

I was there for the last Cellar Dwelling. Talk about dark days.. At least in the last run of darkness, you could say you were a Niner fan and they were actually really good once with history.

I remember when it was embarrassing to wear Niner gear. I'm serious. I had a Chicago Bears letterman's jacket I would wear before I would the Niners. At least they had Sweetness.
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
I went with the Craig fumble. Just the whole intensity of that game. Man, I truly hated LT after that game. WE HAD THE BALL! We never did get to beat the stuffing out of Buffalo like the Cowboys did. Of course, the Giants just managed to scrape their way to through the bowl. Am I alone in being the guy that wanted Buffalo to win every one of those Super Bowls they played? DOH!!!!!!!!

You're not alone. I felt the same way. Every time I think about the Giants holding hands on the sideline praying for a field goal one week and then the very next week holding hands on the sideline praying for a missed field goal, I get sick. And when fricking Parcel's said something like "God was out on that field with us today," I wanted to throw up. That was simply horrifying. That Niner team was built to take a team like the Bills totally apart. It would have been a laugher. But, the Giants just grinded it out and barely squeeked by with a win.
Share 49ersWebzone