LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Was The Toughest NFC Title Game Loss For U To Swallow?

I started watching football in 94, so i could only tell you 97 and 2011.

While 2011 was very heart breaking, i think the 97 one was the hardest one. I srsly think that the Patriots were going to win in 11 if we represented teh nfc, while in 97, i had no doubt in my mind that the niners had a team that could've beaten any team in the afc.
Originally posted by cciowa:
They are all upsetting, every one of them, you do not rank them cuz they are all upsetting but of course they are trumphed by the one super bowl loss we had , mainly because we had a chance to win and the coaches did not allow the players or team to win the game

The word is "trumped," and I don't agree. This was only Harbaugh's second season and it was only the first half season for Kaepernick. If you remember, the statistical odds-keepers gave the best odds to the Niners going 7-9 or 8-8. The team changed starting QB's in the middle of the season for cryin' out loud. The team took some big hits with injuries - J.Smith, Aldon Smith, K Williams, K Hunter, M. Manningham, Parles Harelson. IMO, the thing people should look at is not how many teams return for a second or a third time in a number of years after a loss, but do they return irrespective of whether or not they lost or not. That's the real issue - getting back to the game. There have been lots of teams that have gotten back two to four times over a short period of years lately - no reason the Niners can't be one of those teams.
[ Edited by GNielsen on May 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
and u forgot 1983 @ the skins...robbed of a chance to curbstomp the raiders down in tampa due to 2 bogus PI's on Lott & Wright

I am 40 years old and I still remember that! That hurts more than the others because the refs took control of the game.....JUST LIKE THE SUPERBOWL LOSS TO THE RAVENS (and I'm not talking about the Crabtree interference)!!!!!!
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
I went with the Craig fumble. Just the whole intensity of that game. Man, I truly hated LT after that game. WE HAD THE BALL! We never did get to beat the stuffing out of Buffalo like the Cowboys did. Of course, the Giants just managed to scrape their way to through the bowl. Am I alone in being the guy that wanted Buffalo to win every one of those Super Bowls they played? DOH!!!!!!!!

90 and 2011 were quite brutal losses to that franchise of thugs and cokeheads. I LOATHE that team, and their fans even more for having such big mouths and that awful Jersey/NYC attitude. Nevermind I am going on a tangent.
Originally posted by allhype:
and u forgot 1983 @ the skins...robbed of a chance to curbstomp the raiders down in tampa due to 2 bogus PI's on Lott & Wright

I am 40 years old and I still remember that! That hurts more than the others because the refs took control of the game.....JUST LIKE THE SUPERBOWL LOSS TO THE RAVENS (and I'm not talking about the Crabtree interference)!!!!!!

When I say this thread tittle I thought of this game, and it's not even listed as choice in the poll, this was by far the worst.
  • buck
  • Veteran
It is weird, but I do not find any of them particularly galling.

We play the game. We win the game. We lose the game. I celebrate the wins--and the loses stay in the past.

OK. So, I am strange.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

When I say this thread tittle I thought of this game, and it's not even listed as choice in the poll, this was by far the worst.
If you saw it live 83 was by far the worst screw job by the refs against the Niners in team history.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

If you saw it live 83 was by far the worst screw job by the refs against the Niners in team history.

Well, I saw it live on TV!

I want this team to have another crack at the Ratbirds real bad. I mean totally destroy Flacco and ruin their teams chances at winning anything. That superbowl, and being surrounded by White Trash Ravens fans here drove me insane. Or the sheer fact any local LIDS store doesn't carry any 49ers merch either.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

Well, I saw it live on TV!
blaming the refs is the reason why people call us the whiners. get real, if we would have taken care of what we can control and if the coaches would have allowed the team to win the game at the end you would not be setting there lamely blaming the refs. It was not the refs fault that our entire team came out and was terrible in the first half which has NEVER occured to a niner team in a super bowl. It was not the refs fault our defense was horrid for the entire game which allowed us to have to play f**king catchup the entire game. Then when we did catch them, of course the coaches went into a fetal position and played not to win.

blaming the refs is the reason why people call us the whiners. get real, if we would have taken care of what we can control and if the coaches would have allowed the team to win the game at the end you would not be setting there lamely blaming the refs. It was not the refs fault that our entire team came out and was terrible in the first half which has NEVER occured to a niner team in a super bowl. It was not the refs fault our defense was horrid for the entire game which allowed us to have to play f**king catchup the entire game. Then when we did catch them, of course the coaches went into a fetal position and played not to win.

cc, they're talking about the '83 NFC title game in DC and anyone who saw the game knows that on the verge of a fabulous Joe Montana comeback for a win, the refs basically took the game over, called a series of the worst defensive penalties on the Niners I can remember and pretty much gave the Redskins the game. The end of the game pissed Walsh off so much that he started lobbying the next off season for instant replay.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I started watching football in 94, so i could only tell you 97 and 2011.

While 2011 was very heart breaking, i think the 97 one was the hardest one. I srsly think that the Patriots were going to win in 11 if we represented teh nfc, while in 97, i had no doubt in my mind that the niners had a team that could've beaten any team in the afc.
Though I agree with 97', in 2011 I think we would've matched up better and won. Remember we were killing them last year, and if not for our pass rush depletion at the time we would have finished it that way. The Bowman strip, in that game, was laughably whistled dead and WOULDA sent us to the dance had the refs not had an obvious bias. Many laughable calls in the Super Bowl this year. In my mind the miners are 7-0 in the Super Bowl.

The reason I pick the 97' team is because, even without the Top 100 players of all times #1 rated greatest player of all time, JR, out that team was one of the best essembled rosters ever. The Packers were really good that year though.

Only because I wasnt that much into 49ers or football for that matter when I was young. 2004 gained my interest believe it or not only because my friend's Dad to us to all of those games.

Anyways, watching 49ers football from 2004 to that point, it was one of the most devastating losses ever. Defense was beyond great despite Vernon Davis being the only threat against the Giants. To this day, I'm still pissed that Ahmad Bradshaw fumble late in the 4th was not called a fumble. Im not saying that it would guaranteed the 49ers to go to the Super Bowl but it would of greatly increased their chances of going that year.
2011 was very hard to handle because it was just fumbled away. For me, it's a close second:

1: 1990
2: 2011
3: 1983
Originally posted by GNielsen:

cc, they're talking about the '83 NFC title game in DC and anyone who saw the game knows that on the verge of a fabulous Joe Montana comeback for a win, the refs basically took the game over, called a series of the worst defensive penalties on the Niners I can remember and pretty much gave the Redskins the game. The end of the game pissed Walsh off so much that he started lobbying the next off season for instant replay.

Exactly the point I was trying to make GN, thanks. The Niners had tied it up at 21 all after being down 21-0.

The Redskins then marched on a 13-play, 78-yard drive that took 6:12 off the clock and set up Moseley's 25-yard field goal with 40 seconds left in the game. This possession was aided by two controversial penalties:

On second down and 10 on the San Francisco 45-yard line, Theismann threw a long incompletion intended for wide receiver Art Monk, but cornerback Eric Wright was called for pass interference at the 18-yard line. It seemed that nobody had a reasonable chance to catch the ball, which, under the rule, would have nullified any pass interference penalty.
On third down and 5 from the San Francisco 13-yard line, cornerback Ronnie Lott was called for holding on what seemed to be a harmless act with Brown far away from where the pass fell incomplete.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on May 28, 2013 at 2:50 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone