There are 117 users in the forums

We need to extend Crabtree

Originally posted by buck:

Colin Kaepernick - Obviously keep $$$$
Mike Iupati - Try to keep $$$
Anthony Davis - Try to keep $$$
Kendall Hunter - Walk if he wants big money $
Michael Crabtree - Definitely try to keep $$$$
Aldon Smith - Obviously keep $$$$
Chris Culliver - Walk if he wants big money $

Priorities:

1) Kaep - Franchise QB
2) Aldon - Elite Pass Rusher
3) Crab - Top10 WR
4) Davis - T with no injury issues and keeps improving, still young. Should be good for 10 more years
5) Iupati - Pro Bowl G, but (my opinion) easier to replace than Pro Bowl level T
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by buck:

Colin Kaepernick - Obviously keep $$$$
Mike Iupati - Try to keep $$$
Anthony Davis - Try to keep $$$
Kendall Hunter - Walk if he wants big money $
Michael Crabtree - Definitely try to keep $$$$
Aldon Smith - Obviously keep $$$$
Chris Culliver - Walk if he wants big money $

Priorities:

1) Kaep - Franchise QB
2) Aldon - Elite Pass Rusher
3) Crab - Top10 WR
4) Davis - T with no injury issues and keeps improving, still young. Should be good for 10 more years
5) Iupati - Pro Bowl G, but (my opinion) easier to replace than Pro Bowl level T


I agree with this. I think we can keep "the big five" as long as we don't do something crazy in free agency.

We are super lucky / smart for having Staley and Boone at bargain prices. We have pretty good prices on V Davis, Bowman, McDonald, J Smith. Rogers, Whitner, Goodwin, Manningham (injury?) will have to get replaced. What is great is that in two years, the players we have to replace will already have their contracts up.
  • fip24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 789
Keep in mind that by the time the '14 season is over Gore will probably be gone and his salary off of the books. Justin may still be on the team but he will only have a year or so left. IMO I would approach Davis about an extension. Not that I think he his the best on the list but there is probably the largest sperad between what he would sign for today and what he would get on the open market. I think he may be had for 8-10 m per..soemthing like 6 for 52 w. 25m guaranteed.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Pay him in white girls!!!

I laughed in the middle of my sandwich and almost went out like mama cass
If Crabtree continues to improve and decides to test the free agent market what are the chances the 49ers will pay Crabtree top FA WR money like the Wallace Bowe & Harvin contracts if another team offers him a similar deal $10 to $13 million per season?

Crabtree was very difficult to get signed out of college I can see him wanting top FA WR money he will be at the age where I think he will want to cash in on lucrative long term contract IMHO
Originally posted by SkyGod:
If Crabtree continues to improve and decides to test the free agent market what are the chances the 49ers will pay Crabtree top FA WR money like the Wallace Bowe & Harvin contracts if another team offers him a similar deal $10 to $13 million per season?

Crabtree was very difficult to get signed out of college I can see him wanting top FA WR money he will be at the age where I think he will want to cash in on lucrative long term contract IMHO

He'll be a pain in the ass, I'm sure. But it's better to start talking to him now and TRY to extend like Bowman and others.

We could end up with a good sized WR group against Seattle: Ricardo Lockette, Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree with AJ Jenkins/Manningham/Williams in the slot.
That's going to be a tough resign crabtree is going to want the money. I would like to sign colin longterm early for sure. Looking at what the packers did with aaron rodgers, They signed him early to a very good deal I think it was like 66 million. That kind of deal for colin would be great for us to keep other players. Also aldon should be resigned early too out of fear he's going to be looking at 100+ million dollar deal, basically combine what willis and bowman got togather and will be looking at that just for aldon. AD love this kid everything about him I'd want him resigned for sure. Mike without a question would be great to resign. I think will get the rookies signed and maybe a few fill in freeagents, and than front load someones contract maybe more of willis deal for more cap relief in the future to resign some of these players. I don't expect hunter to command hugh money just yet, I think something around 25 million 30 million max for him, but that kind of depends on how he heals and If LMJ doesn't get better and take playing time away from him. And LMJ looked good as the season went on. And as it's going gore will mostlikely retire after this contract is up if he gets that ring next season. Will see about gore though he's the kind of guy to keep playing until he can't anymore, guys got a big heart for football i doubt he ends it after the ring.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM ]
If we can keep 4 of the big 5, keep them with Lee, Bowman, Willis, Vernon, McDonald, Brooks, hope Skuta, Dahl and Dorsey signings pay off. Develop LMJ, AJJ, draft top notch FS,SS, sign Justin, either Brown and/or Cully. retain Jennings, Hunter, Kigore, and keep Staley and Boone on good deals then we are set for the future.
I think we can nab Crabtree for around $10 mil per year and Colin for $15 mil per assuming both players stay on their current trajectory. If we win, they may smell DYNASTY and with the NEW STADIUM going up in 2014, they may want to sign on early for a little less with us rather than waiting and risking injury to get to free agency
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I think we can nab Crabtree for around $10 mil per year and Colin for $15 mil per assuming both players stay on their current trajectory. If we win, they may smell DYNASTY and with the NEW STADIUM going up in 2014, they may want to sign on early for a little less with us rather than waiting and risking injury to get to free agency

This. +1
Crabtree is going to want a max contract. I'm from the school of thought that believes the QB makes the receiver. Peyton Manning never missed a beat breaking in a new receiver as did Tom Brady. I'd rather lock up the OL.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Crabtree is going to want a max contract. I'm from the school of thought that believes the QB makes the receiver. Peyton Manning never missed a beat breaking in a new receiver as did Tom Brady. I'd rather lock up the OL.

THIS!!! is right on !
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Crabtree is going to want a max contract. I'm from the school of thought that believes the QB makes the receiver. Peyton Manning never missed a beat breaking in a new receiver as did Tom Brady. I'd rather lock up the OL.

Well he won't be getting Larry Fitzgerald money here. We will take care of Kaep 1st and yes the OL is the strength of this team, but we won't let any one player jeopardize the long term health of the team. So long as he doesn't land in the NFCW I could care less. Still, we should make the attempt to sign him next summer along with a couple others. Even though the QB makes the WR in most instances, I believe he is an elite playmaker
If Crabtree can build on last season performance than we should lock him up right away.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Crabtree is going to want a max contract. I'm from the school of thought that believes the QB makes the receiver. Peyton Manning never missed a beat breaking in a new receiver as did Tom Brady. I'd rather lock up the OL.


Crabtree is a very good football player. He doesn't do it with freakish athleticism, he is good because he is just good at playing WR. These are my favorite types of football players. I think teams should value these players more than freak athletes. I hope we see the value in what he can do beyond the 40 yard dash etc.

That being said, a max contract is going to be really tough.
Share 49erswebzone