LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Worried About the Niners Passing Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yeah . . . I'd be worried.

I just re-watched the first half of Satruday's game. Without Kap's running for first downs, the Niners would have been nowhere; too many misconnections on passes that should have been caught. Crabtree is the ONLY reliable receiver. DW is maddeningly unreliable and he hasn't got the body control to make clutch catches reliably. If a ball is thrown to the sideline and he catches it, you cannot count on him to make sure that he comes down in-bounds either. VD is a bit of the same also. Moss has no pizzazz or fight in him. His skills are greatly diminished.

This is not a good situation to be going into Atlanta facing. There is NO WAY that Atlanta will allow Kap to torch them with the run the way he did GB. This aspect of the Niner game came as a complete surprise and had not been previously unveiled. Altlanta will have a week to plan for it and they will. Theoretically, that should open up the passing opportunities. The Niners have the QB to exploit that, but, as mentioned, unreliable receivers, save one. Not good.

What will Roman's ace-in-the-hole be this time? Incorporating more Jenkins, LMJ and Garret Celek? Sure hope that they come up with something and I do expect that they will have some plan. Otherwise . . .
Originally posted by defenderDX:
I like how people call AJ Jenkins a bust when we weren't planning on using him this year anyway... LMAO

Exactly!
Any avg DC, who watched the 49ers play last Sat, will probably do two things:
Double team Crabtree and have someone cover the edges. Yes that leaves a bigger hole in the center, but that's the gamble. Sure Gore will get some yards, but we have to assume that CK will be contained.
So, it all boils down to VD and Walker. These two TEs haven't produced much in the last few games...maybe because Gore and Crabtree have been good enough. It's time to see what else the 49ers have on offense.
Moss and Ginn, well, don't expect more than a catch here or there.
I agree that one receiving with such as great majority of the catches is a reasonable concern. Kaep was only 17-31 (@ 59%) against the Packers. Crabtree caught more than half (9, @53%). I expect Nolan will double Crabtree and force a young QB like Kaep out of his comfort zone.

But Nolan will probably have to assign a spy on Kaep to reduce his scrambling. Even with Nolan's 4-2-5 defense, this leads Atlanta vulnerable to the run. If the Niners come out in standard formation (two receivers, two backs, one TE), it will take 5 DBs to cover Crabtree (2), VD (1), Moss/AJ/Ginn (1), Kaep (1). Atlanta will be vulnerable to runs. With only 6 in the box, the Niners will have 7 to 8 blockers and one ball carrier.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Jan 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM ]
Atlanta will probably play a lot of zone. hopefully we can take advantage of it
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I agree that one receiving with such as great majority of the catches is a reasonable concern. Kaep was only 17-31 (@ 59%) against the Packers. Crabtree caught more than half (9, @53%). I expect Nolan will double Crabtree and force a young QB like Kaep out of his comfort zone.

But Nolan will probably have to assign a spy on Kaep to reduce his scrambling. Even with Nolan's 4-2-5 defense, this leads Atlanta vulnerable to the run. If the Niners come out in standard formation (two receivers, two backs, one TE), it will take 5 DBs to cover Crabtree (2), VD (1), Moss/AJ/Ginn (1), Kaep (1). Atlanta will be vulnerable to runs. With only 6 in the box, the Niners will have 7 to 8 blockers and *TWO* ball carrier.

* fixed. Gore/LMJ and Kaep both are threats to run on any play. Which makes PA so effective. I agree that ATL should try to limit Crabtree, but their LB core was weak against Zach Miller, enter Vernon Davis.
Ok guys im 43 years old and have been watching the niners my whole life. Im telling you this is one of the best teams they have ever had. if they play to their potential on sunday...we are gonna be in the super bowl. Im not worried about the passing game...these niners are a balanced explosive team loaded with some amazing athletes in their PRIME!
I like how people call AJ Jenkins a bust when we weren't planning on using him this year anyway... LMAO

but the plan changed when manningham and williams got hurt, so they could use him and he hasnt delivered...i still am not writing him off but think itis a legit concern that he hasnt stepped up yet at all
Originally posted by hofer36:
but the plan changed when manningham and williams got hurt, so they could use him and he hasnt delivered...i still am not writing him off but think itis a legit concern that he hasnt stepped up yet at all

I agree. There are good players from the get-go (see LMJ and CK), and there are players who need to be coached/developed and supported by the team (say Alex). I don't think AJ Jenkins falls in the first category. About the future, who really knows.
Falcons have 6 regular offensive options:

Roddy White
Julio Jones
Tony G.
J. Rodgers
Turner
Douglas

We have 7:

CK
Gore
LMJ
VD
Delanie
Moss
Crabtree

I like our chances, especially if we can pound the rock with Gore and LMJ

No....a lot of people thought Crabtree was a bust too.....
I agree its way to early to call AJ a bust... but there is no denying that he has a golden opportunity to step up at the #3 receiver position and he is MIA. When he has been out there he's been uncomfortable leading to a couple mistakes (penalty/TO and easy drop)... a little disappointing from your 1st round pick. I'm rooting for the kid to get it together quickly because his 4.3 speed + Kap's Cannon = profit, but I'm not holding my breath this year after Ginn got more snaps against GB (20 to 7).

To have to rely AGAIN on Ginn as our #3 after spending the first pick on a wide receiver who is healthy is frustrating.
Crabtree was getting doubled last weeks item bit it seemed
Originally posted by hofer36:

"they could use him and he hasnt delivered"

that makes no sense whatsoever
Originally posted by cciowa:
can we please stop with the excuses for our first round bust. you keep harping that he has not had any chances,, jesus in the last two weeks he has had a opportunity and he either drops a pass or else he is just not good enough to beat ginn out for playing time. that is bad. i know to question Jh is against the law but what is the harm to admit he may have made a mistake in regards to jenkins?

It is way too early to call him a bust. The tiny sample size that is his body of work tells us almost nothing.
Crabtree was called a bust up until very recently and Aldon was even called a bust.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jan 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone