There are 173 users in the forums

Worried About the Niners Passing Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
the Niners are fine if everyone playing now stays healthy. We have two great targets in Crabs and VD and Moss and Walker will contribute. We can always pass to Gore, Miller and LMJ. In the 88-89 years the WR's were basically Rice and Taylor all game long with Craig, Jones/Frank, Rathman playing pivotal roles.
Originally posted by 49ercrusher:
Idk....good question.fellow...I dont think the will focus on Jenkins or ginn...would you....

I don't think Mike Nolan will figure out what Belickick and Capers didn't or maybe they did focus on Crabtree and it made no difference. I think Crabtree could have another great game.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM ]
The post season paranoia has now settled in. I still dont quite see a ton worth worrying about though, even though our passing game still isnt #1 its quite high up there, not to mention the running game. I dont think there is a team in the NFL that can really defend and sacrifice to many players to threaten our passing game, even with Davis, Moss and Crabtree when they also have to worry about the attacks of Kaep, Gore, and LMJ. We are well enough balanced that when or if a team trys to shut down our passing game by doubling up on Davis or Crabs or Moss, they still have a handful of problems coming out of our backfield. So the passing game doesnt have me too concerned because they can't play max coverage on us without leaving giant holes for our RB's or Kaep to burst through and burn them for alot of yards.
I didnt even mention Ginn in the original post cuz he is just so f#cking useless now. I think he has just mentally checked out for the season and is solely focused on preserving his own health so he can get the next contract. He would rather drop a pass than take a hit. Or in the game at St Louis, he was too afraid to dive for the fumbled ball.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
VD is gonna have to become relevant again. Then again, he only caught one pass against GB, so maybe not. Crabs is beasting right now.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
VD is gonna have to become relevant again. Then again, he only caught one pass against GB, so maybe not. Crabs is beasting right now.

The one pass was pretty critical as well as selling the PI call.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Nothing is really going to change this year... You are going to have to look to next year when they can really work on getting Davis involved during the off season.
Vernon and Delanie will be open A LOT during this next game.
Dumb thread
I'm glad someone finally sees what I see in Bruce Miller. If this guy were targeted more, I could see him being a 30 catch a year guy. Normally he is left pretty open as well, so he has gotten in some good runs after his catches.

We all would prefer to have a healthy group of receivers, but I looked at last year's NFCCG. And I saw Brett Swain out there. We are in MUCH better shape right now. I can't say for certain, but I think Vernon Davis is due for a big game. You can't take everyone away. Atlanta will be forced to keep a spy in on Colin Kaepernick. This could open up the passing game for backs coming out of the backfield since at least one linebacker/safety may be following CK and another may be used to help cover Davis. Are they going to double Crabtree as well? Running more of a traditional WCO where there are 4 to 5 receiving options would help to take advantage of the attention that may be given to Crabtree, Davis, CK, and possibly Moss.

Asante Samuels can be dangerous but also can be taken advantage of should he try to anticipate what we are doing and jump a route. Ball placement will be critical for CK.

I'd like to see Vernon Davis lined up all over the field. If they are going to use two guys on him, force the defense to shift and move to open up things for other guys and should Davis get a step on coverage and drop the ball in bucket, similar to the catches Davis was making during last years playoff run.

I'm not predicting victory, but if we take advantage of the complement of weapons we have, we should be able to do well in both the passing and running game.

How long has it been since the Niners last had an above-average receiving corps? 10 years? Yeah, I think Terrell Owens's last season here was the last time we had what could be considered an above average group of receivers. Un-f#cking-believable. Man, I would be stoked if we could even bring back Arnaz Battle. He would be our #2 receiver easily. I liked that dude. He was a gamer.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Dumb thread

Dumb post

He did also draw a nice PI on that double move, i'm slightly encouraged that he is at least getting targeted. He is due to break one very soon!
Walker is key this game. Everyone has been bracketing VD and trying to shut down Crabs 1v1... Walker will get a decent amount of targets. Hopefully he doesn't have 3 drops this week. Also could see Moss getting a few targets.

So Vernon, a healthy Walker, Crabs and Moss is so much better than last season... plus Ginn is healthy and is a good 3 WR compared to Swain.
Originally posted by brizznasty:

He did also draw a nice PI on that double move, i'm slightly encouraged that he is at least getting targeted. He is due to break one very soon!

Exactly. CK was looking his way against GB and that pass he caught was a thing of beauty. If Walker can learn to catch a ball, and they continue to split LMJ out wide on a few plays our passing game should give the Falcons fits. I don't know how you can take away all of those threats. VD, Walker, Gore/LMJ, Crabs and Moss on the field is a nightmare if you have to have one of your linebackers stay at home on the QB and you run a 4-3. You're leaving several dangerous players in single or zone coverage. Crabtree could have another monster game.

Also, their defense is more finesse than power, so I don't expect CK to get too much pressure when he drops to pass. I don't want to get too confident, but I think we are set to play one of the weakest teams that were in the playoffs. It will still be tough though. Hopefully the coaching staff is on, because when they are there's nobody better.
Share 49ersWebzone