LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Worried About the Niners Passing Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm glad someone finally sees what I see in Bruce Miller. If this guy were targeted more, I could see him being a 30 catch a year guy. Normally he is left pretty open as well, so he has gotten in some good runs after his catches.

We all would prefer to have a healthy group of receivers, but I looked at last year's NFCCG. And I saw Brett Swain out there. We are in MUCH better shape right now. I can't say for certain, but I think Vernon Davis is due for a big game. You can't take everyone away. Atlanta will be forced to keep a spy in on Colin Kaepernick. This could open up the passing game for backs coming out of the backfield since at least one linebacker/safety may be following CK and another may be used to help cover Davis. Are they going to double Crabtree as well? Running more of a traditional WCO where there are 4 to 5 receiving options would help to take advantage of the attention that may be given to Crabtree, Davis, CK, and possibly Moss.

Asante Samuels can be dangerous but also can be taken advantage of should he try to anticipate what we are doing and jump a route. Ball placement will be critical for CK.

I'd like to see Vernon Davis lined up all over the field. If they are going to use two guys on him, force the defense to shift and move to open up things for other guys and should Davis get a step on coverage and drop the ball in bucket, similar to the catches Davis was making during last years playoff run.

I'm not predicting victory, but if we take advantage of the complement of weapons we have, we should be able to do well in both the passing and running game.

You talk about MIller being able to be a play-maker if give na chance.. For me I see Celek and a play-maker as well. All he has done when in a game is catch the ball and get yards. He's got good hands and reads the QB pretty well. I would rather see Celek take Walkers place for sure. You would see drops go down dramatically I think.. Move on DW is a free agent next year and the Niners sure won't pay him any more than he's getting now..move on..

as for the offense in general; from my vantage point I don't see any big problems; everyone left is pretty healthy, Kap can get the ball to you if you get open or not sometimes. The run game can fire up at any time..I see all good. More then what your concern is, to me it's the pass rush. It's clear I think Cowboy is limited, but any Cowboy is way better than NO cowboy. Aldon, no sacks in what now; 3 games, and a lot of times I see him with his hands on his hips, he HAS got to step up this Sunday and put some licks on the QB, because if those 2 WR getting going deep and Cullever plays like last week, it could be a long day. we nee pressure..

Offense is the least of our worries I believe...GO NINERS!!!
Originally posted by Carhanu21:
How long has it been since the Niners last had an above-average receiving corps? 10 years? Yeah, I think Terrell Owens's last season here was the last time we had what could be considered an above average group of receivers. Un-f#cking-believable. Man, I would be stoked if we could even bring back Arnaz Battle. He would be our #2 receiver easily. I liked that dude. He was a gamer.

Are you serious? How would old slow Arnaz Battle be an upgrade over old fast Randy Moss?
How long has it been since the Niners last had an above-average receiving corps? 10 years? Yeah, I think Terrell Owens's last season here was the last time we had what could be considered an above average group of receivers. Un-f#cking-believable. Man, I would be stoked if we could even bring back Arnaz Battle. He would be our #2 receiver easily. I liked that dude. He was a gamer.

You are officially out of your mind.

Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Dumb thread

Dumb post

Take it outside.
Originally posted by ninermedic:

Are you serious? How would old slow Arnaz Battle be an upgrade over old fast Randy Moss?

LOL! First Jenkins is a bust and now this?

Credibility FAIL.
No informed, educated or rational opinion detected... move on.
Mike Nolan? I think SF fans know this guy inside and out. Can he innovate? No. Does he know anything about offense? No. Does he make quick decisions? No. Will he be wearing a suit in the coaches box? Maybe. His first game, before the first play, he calls a timeout. I knew right then we were in for a long season. Even with all this I hoped for the best, until he threw Alex under the bus. After Alex separated his shoulder the coaching staff had him lifting weights that week. I'm not an MD but I separated my shoulder, not as bad as Alex's, and when I heard he was lifting weights I couldn't believe it. So, should we be worried about the passing game against a Nolan defense?
Early favourite for worst original post of the year...

Crabtree can be shut down if covered "correctly"? He's a great route runner and a big body who can get yards after the catch. Route running >> Speed...always. Do you want Crabtree or Ginn? Boldin or Heywerd-Bey?

Jenkins is a bust?

...last one doesn't even deserve a response

EDIT: Oh God, just saw the Battle post...now I feel like an idiot for giving you attention to begin with
[ Edited by Canadian49er on Jan 16, 2013 at 5:56 AM ]
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
You talk about MIller being able to be a play-maker if give na chance.. For me I see Celek and a play-maker as well. All he has done when in a game is catch the ball and get yards. He's got good hands and reads the QB pretty well. I would rather see Celek take Walkers place for sure. You would see drops go down dramatically I think.. Move on DW is a free agent next year and the Niners sure won't pay him any more than he's getting now..move on..

as for the offense in general; from my vantage point I don't see any big problems; everyone left is pretty healthy, Kap can get the ball to you if you get open or not sometimes. The run game can fire up at any time..I see all good. More then what your concern is, to me it's the pass rush. It's clear I think Cowboy is limited, but any Cowboy is way better than NO cowboy. Aldon, no sacks in what now; 3 games, and a lot of times I see him with his hands on his hips, he HAS got to step up this Sunday and put some licks on the QB, because if those 2 WR getting going deep and Cullever plays like last week, it could be a long day. we nee pressure..

Offense is the least of our worries I believe...GO NINERS!!!

This ^

I would rather see Celek than Delanie to be honest. Walker is "versatile" but he's a terrible receiver. Bad play on balls and cement hands
  • kdogg
  • Veteran
I just don't want a "reset Madden" type game. The game where the AI decides to make you fumble and throw INTs no matter what you do (like NYG or 2nd Seattle game). You just shut the damn game off.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
The only thing I agree with in the OP post is that we should not rely on Colin's legs this game. That will get us beat. He needs to win this one with his arm. Atlanta will damn sure not let Colin beat them with his legs after what he did to GB. The cat is out of the bag on that one. It's time for Colin and this offense to present other problems to the Falcons. Maybe they will come out Alex Smith style and pound the rock down their throats under center? Then dink and dunk their way down field to get TDs. They just cannot become one dimensional and pass pass pass out of the pistol Q thingy all the time. The Falcons will be expecting that

Fast guys are faster on turf so Moss, Vernon, and Delanie should have no trouble getting separation
I'm more worried about this thread.
I'm kinda worried about the passing game because we dont seem to have alot of healthy weapons right now for Kaep to throw to.
Let's look at what we got:
1) Crabtree- been playing great lately but he can be shut down if played correctly due to his lack of speed. Falcons have some pretty solid (not great) CB's.
2)Moss- He can provide 1-3 catches per game. Not really reliable this stage of career for a #2 receiver.
3) Vernon Davis- Should be putting up stud numbers but has been mostly invisible for the last 12 weeks or so. Not sure what is wrong.
4) Delanie Walker- drops about half the passes that are thrown to him. not much more to say about him. wont return next year with our small cap space.
5) AJ Jenkins- Bust. Doesnt belong in the NFL right now. 2012 draft was our worst draft in quite a while.

The good news is that Kaep's running ability will hopefully force the Falcons to sacrifice one of their players to spy on Kaep instead of playing pass coverage. But I hate having to rely on QB running to keep our offense going. I just keep thinking about 2011 NFCCG against Giants where Smith had no open receivers to throw to. Guys, it could happen again. As good as Crabtree is, the Falcons could shut him down with double teams. Also, Asante Samuels is very good cover corner that is capable of doing a good job on Crabtree. Also, Mike Nolan is a MUCH better defensive coordinater than he is a head coach. He will probably have some good schemes.

My question is: will we be able to continue to score consistently against the Falcons with only one effective pass catcher? Is it smart to rely on the option to carry us like it did
against GB?

I don't think it'll be an issue because the Falcons will play zone not man defense. Our TEs will have a HUGE day of they don't, their LBs don't seem to cover very well. If they play man and use a spy it'll have to be a corner, LBs aren't fast enough to spy Kap, which will then make their defense even more vulnerable to the run so it will be pick your poison.
Every player drafted isn't going to start. I don't get labeling players a bust because they don't walk into the league and immediately put up Pro Bowl type numbers. We were in the NFC Championship game last year so that (obviously) means that the roster then was more than talented enough to compete. Thus, it stands to reason that our front office went into the draft thinking they only needed to tweak the roster and add depth.

That's exactly what they did.

Very rarely in the league does it happens where more than two draft picks immediately start. And when it does, it's usually a terrible team (the Browns come to mind), that aren't competitive. Which is why they bring the young guys along faster.
[ Edited by baltien on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:19 AM ]
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
I'm more worried about this thread.

this
Share 49ersWebzone