There are 159 users in the forums

Worried About the Niners Passing Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
I don't think it'll be an issue because the Falcons will play zone not man defense. Our TEs will have a HUGE day of they don't, their LBs don't seem to cover very well. If they play man and use a spy it'll have to be a corner, LBs aren't fast enough to spy Kap, which will then make their defense even more vulnerable to the run so it will be pick your poison.

I agree. The Falcons have an average d-line even with Abraham in. I don't see us having a problem getting push up front, which will open up the running lanes. Their linebackers while young, aren't very good and will have a hard time keeping up with Kap should he break containment. Their DB's are probably the most talented bunch (on defense) but that isn't saying much. They routinely get burned when they go to man, which is why the play a lot of zone.

I'm not really worried about our receivers at all.

My only concern is Kap. While I think he will be fine, I'm aware that the stakes are building, If I'm Roman and Harbaugh I start him slow. Let him work off the running game and play action. Once he settles in, turn him loose. Should help us maintain TOP and wear their defense out too.
People questioned why Harbaugh started Kaep in the Saints game in a very noisy Superdome. Now we see why.
I've been telling my non-niner fan friends that when teams eventually decided to double Crabtree, they are are going to leave Davis open. I was saying this against the Packers and in the second half he had the 44 yard catch and the pass interferance call that would have been a TD. They are going to have to pick who to cover and when they do Kap will run for a 60 yard touchdown! So many option I am getting so excited just thinking about the future of this team. Go NINERS!
This game will be won or loss by our defense ...your worrying about the Falcons possibly shutting down our passing game but our defense has a better chance of stopping them ...limiting big plays from their receivers is the key along with pressuring Ryan which go hand in hand ...I think if we hold the Falcons to 20-23 points we will pull it off .. the offense has enough weapons to score 27 unless we self destruct ...
Originally posted by redpops:
I've been telling my non-niner fan friends that when teams eventually decided to double Crabtree, they are are going to leave Davis open. I was saying this against the Packers and in the second half he had the 44 yard catch and the pass interferance call that would have been a TD. They are going to have to pick who to cover and when they do Kap will run for a 60 yard touchdown! So many option I am getting so excited just thinking about the future of this team. Go NINERS!

Davis still gets allot of attention even with Crabs breaking out. One of crabs TD's was possible because VD took all the coverage with him to the sideline opening up for Crabtree's run up the middle.

That said, Im really trying to give Jenkins a shot since he is still a rookie... but "Come on Man!" at least register on the stat sheet somehow, even if its a special teams tackle. Can't help but think that draft-able guys like Hill and Randle would be making more of this opportunity. Hopefully an offseason of knowing what the game is like helps this kid.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the "hope that jenkins will make some plays for us " is fading fast. if we can get to the super bowl without a decent third wide out,it would be something. we have been playing with fire in regards to walkers drops. how much more of that can we take before it really costs us?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
can we please stop with the excuses for our first round bust. you keep harping that he has not had any chances,, jesus in the last two weeks he has had a opportunity and he either drops a pass or else he is just not good enough to beat ginn out for playing time. that is bad. i know to question Jh is against the law but what is the harm to admit he may have made a mistake in regards to jenkins?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
I'm more worried about this thread.

no one said you had to read it or respond to it. it is a posters opinion and concerns about our lack of depth behind crabs and the issues we seem to have with our tight ends. nothing wrong with that
VD would have EASILY scored a TD if he wasn't held by Pack - all we got was the penalty.

I appreciate your concern BUT a bit over-reation on Jenkins. WAYYYYYY to early to call a bust.
I don't think you can label AJ as a bust yet. He hasn't had much of a chance yet... mostly because we haven't had to rely on him. And that's a good thing, you don't want to have to rely on rookies. That's why so many high profile draft picks end up busting. Because their team has to rely on them too early (see A. Smith vs A. Rodgers 2005 draft). When he is ready, he will be an every down player and people will be like "where did this guy come from"... just like they are doing now with Kaepernick.

As for being worried about our passing game.... I am also a bit worried. We are fine as long as Crabtree stays healthy. An injury to Crabs would be devastating. I like Moss in the #2 WR role, but if it's 3rd down and the defense is focused on him it isn't going to work out well. Davis is capable of picking up the slack, but he obviously hasn't got the chemistry with Kap just yet. As for AJ, he's a rookie. And I never want to rely on a rookie, especially in the playoffs.

So overblown. Of the top 40 receivers in the league, exactly THREE are rookies. NONE even come close to sniffing the top 20.

Relax.
[ Edited by baltien on Jan 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
can we please stop with the excuses for our first round bust. you keep harping that he has not had any chances,, jesus in the last two weeks he has had a opportunity and he either drops a pass or else he is just not good enough to beat ginn out for playing time. that is bad. i know to question Jh is against the law but what is the harm to admit he may have made a mistake in regards to jenkins?

I don't think it has anything to do with "opportunities". I think it is clear that Jenkins really isn't ready to be a major contributor in the passing game. But that doesn't mean he is a bust.

Some guys are drafted based on there NFL "readiness". Others are drafted based on their "potential". I think Balke and Harbaugh tend to favor potential over readiness. Kaepernick and Aldon Smith are perfect examples of this. Few draft pundits graded them as highly as we drafted them. Yet both have proved to be solid picks and neither has reached their full potential yet (scary).

WR is one of the harder positions to transition to from college to the NFL. The mental aspect is much bigger in the NFL. In college, you pretty much call a play in the huddle and the WR runs that route. In the NFL, there are audibles and reads pre and post snap. Being on the same page as the QB is critical.

IF he gets the mental aspect down, he will get his opportunities and then I think will prove to be a very solid draft pick. But we probably wont see that till next year.
Originally posted by baltien:
So overblown. Of the 40 receivers in the league, exactly THREE are rookies. NONE even come close to sniffing the top 20.

Relax.

There are a lot more than 40 receivers in the league. Do you mean top 40?
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by baltien:
So overblown. Of the 40 receivers in the league, exactly THREE are rookies. NONE even come close to sniffing the top 20.

Relax.

There are a lot more than 40 receivers in the league. Do you mean top 40?

I did. Good catch. Editing now....
[ Edited by baltien on Jan 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM ]
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Dumb thread

This
Share 49ersWebzone