There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jonathan Goodwin

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I was one of those advocating getting rid of Gore after last year (Walsh philosophy of cutting a guy a year too early rather than a year too late), because he looked old and slow. I was dead wrong though, and so are you. He's running as well as he ever has in this rotation and worse case, should be allowed to play out his contract next year...and I wouldn't be mad if we extended him a few more years under a cap-friendly contract.

Bottom line, he's still one of the best all-around backs in the league. Not to mention, he's the heart and soul of the team so cutting him would be a mistake of massive proportions.

Yes. I do fancy drafting a center, though. And let the three of them battle it out in the preseason. That being said the best O lines tend to be stable O lines .

If the team doesn't use a high pick on a center, we can safely assume they like Kilgore or even possibly Looney as an eventual replacement for Goodwin. Call it the "Alex Boone" approach to solving o-line problems (the answer might already be in-house).
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
This. Frank Gore still has plenty of game left and it would be crazy to cut him before his contract is done. After next year? Well... we shall see

Frank will play out his contract and retire a Niner.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Keep Goodwin. Get a young on Free Agency or draft.
Before we switched to Colin I would have said we probably should cut him unless he takes a paycut because we needed the money to at least tag Goldson. Now that Smith will likely be gone we will have the money for Goldson so I won't be upset if we keep Goodwin. He's solid; not great though. I am not so sure Kilgore would be even as good as Goodwin. If we go the draft route we would probably have to pick someone within the 1st 2 rounds if we wanted him to start.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
This. Frank Gore still has plenty of game left and it would be crazy to cut him before his contract is done. After next year? Well... we shall see

Frank will play out his contract and retire a Niner.

i think so to. he'll restructure if the team asks him to.
Congrats to the Goodwin family on the birth of their third son.
I too also was an advocate of cutting Goodwin simply to save money. However it's most likely not a necessity and we have enough key players signed through 2013. Unless the staff knows something we don't know about Kilgore or Looney, I see Goodwin either playing out his contract. Or maybe we win the Super Bowl and he retires. Who knows? He's 34, has a new child (congratulations), and a 2nd championship. The only thing releasing Goodwin does for us cap wise is give us space to possibly pick up a couple of cheap free agents.
Goodwin is pretty much the weakest link on the offensive line, between his happy feet and struggles snapping the ball properly, the 49ers could definitely upgrade at the position. Won't be upset if he comes back, won't be upset either if they move on to someone else.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM ]
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
the forgotten man.

no one cares about J Good
Originally posted by cools:
Agreed, Let Goodwin play out his contract

question is...is Kilgore the future starting center, if not we may see an early pick used this year for one, so he has a year to sit on bench and watch

Looney could be another option.
Check out this great story about Goodwin. I didn't know much about Goodwin before reading this, because he was a free agent, but after reading it was like, yes, that's our guy in the middle. Our OL captain, and we have had some good ones before.

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Jonathan-Goodwin-49ers-quiet-leader-4222249.php

He's a big, strong, deeply devout family man. The other guys on the line look at him as a father figure. He's a total solid guy, a character guy, a pro who plays his position. We need to love us some Goodwin.
Originally posted by DVDA:
It's common sense that your run game is only as good as your linemen. Gore is only as good as the guys blocking for him, so I'd cut Gore, not cut Goodwin, and keep Kilgore as depth before I'd cut Goodwin and shorten the depth in the trenches.

Deal Lord, bless this fan.
It all depends on how they feel about Kilgore. It does seem like they consider him the C of the future. As much as I would hate to lose Goodwin, if it helps s keep Goldson and Walker, I would consider cutting him.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Congrats to the Goodwin family on the birth of their third son.

Congrats
Originally posted by Niners418:
It all depends on how they feel about Kilgore. It does seem like they consider him the C of the future. As much as I would hate to lose Goodwin, if it helps s keep Goldson and Walker, I would consider cutting him.

Kilgore is always in on the Jumbo packages with Leonard Davis so the guy can play for sure. Either Looney or Kilgore will be the C of the future. Since Person is gone and (knock on wood) none of the tackles got hurt this year, we definitely draft a T.