LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 211 users in the forums

Jonathan Goodwin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've seen alot of 49er fans cutting Goodwin in their mock drafts/offseason plans. In my opinion that would be a big mistake. Goodwin only has 1 more year left on his deal and I wouldn't want to break that O-line up. Alex Smith(possible trade),Parys Haralson and David Akers should be the only cap casualties on this team.
If, and it's a big if...we draft a blue chip, early round, true center, I am ok with letting him go. He is good, but not great, and cap money could be saved. I am not ok with just dumping hm and assuming Kilgore will pan out however.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
I've seen alot of 49er fans cutting Goodwin in their mock drafts/offseason plans. In my opinion that would be a big mistake. Goodwin only has 1 more year left on his deal and I wouldn't want to break that O-line up. Alex Smith(possible trade),Parys Haralson and David Akers should be the only cap casualties on this team.

I get your point but dashon will demand a monster deal with his all pro season. not sure where that money will come from. I dont think the niners can keep everyone they want, someplayers will have to go, and i think kilgore can take over and do a pretty good job. I dont think most fans want him gone because of performance, but rather a cap casualty.
Originally posted by Toronto49er:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:

I get your point but dashon will demand a monster deal with his all pro season. not sure where that money will come from. I dont think the niners can keep everyone they want, someplayers will have to go, and i think kilgore can take over and do a pretty good job. I dont think most fans want him gone because of performance, but rather a cap casualty.

I think their needs to be a three part plan for goldson

1. Sign Goldson to a 5 year 35 million dollar deal.
2. If 1. does not work, Franchise Goldson for the 20% premium
3. Try to sign Jarus Byrd, if they can get Byrd, withdraw the franchise tag and let Goldson be a UFA
  • cools
  • Veteran
Agreed, Let Goodwin play out his contract

question is...is Kilgore the future starting center, if not we may see an early pick used this year for one, so he has a year to sit on bench and watch
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
It's common sense that your run game is only as good as your linemen. Gore is only as good as the guys blocking for him, so I'd cut Gore, not cut Goodwin, and keep Kilgore as depth before I'd cut Goodwin and shorten the depth in the trenches.
Originally posted by DVDA:
It's common sense that your run game is only as good as your linemen. Gore is only as good as the guys blocking for him, so I'd cut Gore, not cut Goodwin, and keep Kilgore as depth before I'd cut Goodwin and shorten the depth in the trenches.

Thank GOD you are not the GM. You would rather cut Gore over Goodwin, wow, I am not sure if you are looking for a reaction, that appears to be a jerry springer tongue in cheek remark designed to spark rage.

Gore will not be cut next season, you can mark my words on that.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:

Thank GOD you are not the GM. You would rather cut Gore over Goodwin, wow, I am not sure if you are looking for a reaction, that appears to be a jerry springer tongue in cheek remark designed to spark rage.

Gore is not Adrian Peterson. He's easily replaceable just like 90% of the running backs in the NFL, especially when you have a competent coach who can hide the shortcomings of a lesser running back.

Wow.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cools:
Agreed, Let Goodwin play out his contract

question is...is Kilgore the future starting center, if not we may see an early pick used this year for one, so he has a year to sit on bench and watch

We haven't seem to be be able to get it right drafting Centres. I would be reluctant to change the OL without ensuring the replacement is a force himself.

• Envy
  • Veteran

Gore is not Adrian Peterson. He's easily replaceable just like 90% of the running backs in the NFL, especially when you have a competent coach who can hide the shortcomings of a lesser running back.
Yeah he isn't AP but lets not forget that this OL hasn't been around for long and Gore was still putting up numbers. Gore is as good a short yardage back as there is in the league and it would be ridiculous to cut him whilst none of the current stable can take the full load.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Envy:

Yeah he isn't AP but lets not forget that this OL hasn't been around for long and Gore was still putting up numbers. Gore is as good a short yardage back as there is in the league and it would be ridiculous to cut him whilst none of the current stable can take the full load.

Gore used to be great on his own, but he's getting old. He's not the same player he once was and that's pretty obvious. The 49ers could move on from him pretty easily the way this offensive line and scheme open holes for guys. A group approach of Hunter, James, Dixon, and anyone else they bring in to compete would do just fine with Harbaugh running the show. Gore is nowhere near irreplaceable, he's good, but not irreplaceable. Personally I would like to see the 49ers win Gore the super bowl he deserves then move on from him and Goodwin in order to lock up Iupati and Anthony Davis long-term since they are two key components to the 49ers future success.
Originally posted by Envy:

Gore used to be great on his own, but he's getting old. He's not the same player he once was and that's pretty obvious. The 49ers could move on from him pretty easily the way this offensive line and scheme open holes for guys. A group approach of Hunter, James, Dixon, and anyone else they bring in to compete would do just fine with Harbaugh running the show. Gore is nowhere near irreplaceable, he's good, but not irreplaceable. Personally I would like to see the 49ers win Gore the super bowl he deserves then move on from him and Goodwin in order to lock up Iupati and Anthony Davis long-term since they are two key components to the 49ers future success.

I was one of those advocating getting rid of Gore after last year (Walsh philosophy of cutting a guy a year too early rather than a year too late), because he looked old and slow. I was dead wrong though, and so are you. He's running as well as he ever has in this rotation and worse case, should be allowed to play out his contract next year...and I wouldn't be mad if we extended him a few more years under a cap-friendly contract.

Bottom line, he's still one of the best all-around backs in the league. Not to mention, he's the heart and soul of the team so cutting him would be a mistake of massive proportions.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I was one of those advocating getting rid of Gore after last year (Walsh philosophy of cutting a guy a year too early rather than a year too late), because he looked old and slow. I was dead wrong though, and so are you. He's running as well as he ever has in this rotation and worse case, should be allowed to play out his contract next year...and I wouldn't be mad if we extended him a few more years under a cap-friendly contract.

Bottom line, he's still one of the best all-around backs in the league. Not to mention, he's the heart and soul of the team so cutting him would be a mistake of massive proportions.

Yes. I do fancy drafting a center, though. And let the three of them battle it out in the preseason. That being said the best O lines tend to be stable O lines .
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

This. Frank Gore still has plenty of game left and it would be crazy to cut him before his contract is done. After next year? Well... we shall see
Share 49ersWebzone