There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Smith, Tolzien thread. Yet again

I thought that the Alex requesting a release was only rumor started by the media.
Originally posted by dj43:
Crabtree is a very good short-to-intermediate range receiver but does not scare defenses like Jackson does when he is not on a pout.

Davis is a straight line runner with speed but offers very little else as a pass receiver. That may not be popular here but it is the truth. He is a very good blocker but so was Billy Bajema. Celek is a better all round receiver. He reads defenses well. He finds the open spots and he catches the ball well with his hands. He also shields defenders away from the ball better. Davis gets too much credit for his speed over his pass receiving liabilities.

Moss, at one time was the equivalent of Jerry Rice in his prime but right now he is Jerry Rice in his final season.

Manningham in his best year was maybe as much of a threat as Maclin, otherwise, I would take Maclin in a heartbeat.

In just nine more games, Davis has twice as many TDs and almost 1000 more yards than Celek. Davis is a better receiver than Celek.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by dj43:
So...state your case.

Crabtree is better then Jackson

Davis is better then Celek

Gore and McCoy are pretty even

Moss/Manningham are more valuable then Maclin/Avant

100% agree. They may have more big plays, but we have better consistency and durability.
I'm sure it's just a scumbag agent ploy to make Alex more marketable.

However I hope the 49ers try and get something for him, anything. Even a 4th rounder could help.

Alex has over 50M reasons not to be too hurt at the 49ers if they don't release him early.He has been well compensated over the years, good and bad.
I think it will all come down to whether or not the Niners can trade him in that 48 hour window prior to the $8 million becoming guaranteed. If they can they will trade him, if not he gets released.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Miami didn't pass on Alex. Philbin made it obvious Alex wasn't that interested in signing with Miami.

We had a great visit and we'll leave it at that," Philbin said. "Any relationship takes two sides to tango and you should certainly ask him about that. But I have nothing but good things to say about our visit. Really enjoyed it."

"He's a first-class individual and he's an excellent football player," Philbin said of Smith. "You could tell he's a team guy, unselfish guy. He loves the game and is passionate about football. Really good person. Really enjoyed my time with him."

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/12/05/philbin-on-smiths-free-agent-visit-any-relationship-takes-two-sides-to-tango/

But why wasn't he interested? Perhaps the contract wasn't up to his liking?

If possible I hope we trade him instead of cutting him. This is a business and if it means we can get a pick out of it, I'd take that over getting nothing.

he wasnt interested, im sure, because he wanted to play for the 49ers..who wouldnt coming off your best year...also, any qb looking at miami had to look at their having the 8th pick and ryan tannehill's college coach being the o-coordinator
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Miami didn't pass on Alex. Philbin made it obvious Alex wasn't that interested in signing with Miami.

We had a great visit and we'll leave it at that," Philbin said. "Any relationship takes two sides to tango and you should certainly ask him about that. But I have nothing but good things to say about our visit. Really enjoyed it."

"He's a first-class individual and he's an excellent football player," Philbin said of Smith. "You could tell he's a team guy, unselfish guy. He loves the game and is passionate about football. Really good person. Really enjoyed my time with him."

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/12/05/philbin-on-smiths-free-agent-visit-any-relationship-takes-two-sides-to-tango/

But why wasn't he interested? Perhaps the contract wasn't up to his liking?

If possible I hope we trade him instead of cutting him. This is a business and if it means we can get a pick out of it, I'd take that over getting nothing.

he wasnt interested, im sure, because he wanted to play for the 49ers..who wouldnt coming off your best year...also, any qb looking at miami had to look at their having the 8th pick and ryan tannehill's college coach being the o-coordinator

It is pretty obvious what happened. I honestly can't understand why people are trying to pretend like anyone thought Alex was actually available. Everyone knew that unless the Niners Signed Peyton Manning he would be back.The Peyton Manning thing also happened after a bunch of QB situations had been decided, so there was really only Seattle (who was in the middle of signing a QB at the time) and Miami as legitimate options. That is why there was no real interest in him, and that makes those quotes by Philbin crystal clear.

That being Said Alex should have more suitors this year because he is obviously NOT going to be back with the Niners. If he doesn't get traded I think he'll have 3 or 4 legitimate options, and maybe one or two that are not being talked much about. All the best to him, but these are conversations for after the Superbowl. for now Smith needs to keep coaching up Colin and keeping himself ready just in case.
Alex Smith just told the media he doesn't know where the "I want to be released" came from. He says he hasn't expressed that at all.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Alex Smith just told the media he doesn't know where the "I want to be released" came from. He says he hasn't expressed that at all.

Just heard the audio of him saying that.

And knowing Alex and the way he is, I fully believe him.
Originally posted by DonJulio:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Agreed. In fact, had people read the article instead of just the headlines, they would have seen that Smith wasn't quoted one time. All it said was that Smith will ask for his release after the Super Bowl and before March.. Well, gee, no s**t. People ran with it.

The media is always trying to find ways to get attention by doing anything necessary to cause controversy.

Listen to what Deion says in these interviews with Crabtree and Kap.

"Look at Alex he doesn't even have a booth, gobble gobble."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000132191/article/michael-crabtree-colin-kaepernick-unveiling-my-talent
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

The media is always trying to find ways to get attention by doing anything necessary to cause controversy.

Listen to what Deion says in these interviews with Crabtree and Kap.

"Look at Alex he doesn't even have a booth, gobble gobble."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000132191/article/michael-crabtree-colin-kaepernick-unveiling-my-talent

I saw that interview with Deion and Alex came off very classy even though Deion was trying to get him to say something negative. Props to Alex give the man his release so he can find a team he wants to go to.
Man, the bittersweet'ness is starting to sink in. It was once all a dream, images of Alex Smith wearing his jersey with a Superbowl patch on it. Now that the dream has come to fruition, he's a backup QB. It's poetic on so many levels.

Bizarre world!
Originally posted by susweel:
I saw that interview with Deion and Alex came off very classy even though Deion was trying to get him to say something negative. Props to Alex give the man his release so he can find a team he wants to go to.

Linky?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by susweel:

Linky?

Deon is a d1ck for trying to get alex to say something negative. Alex is smarter than that.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/0ap2000000132259/Alex-Smith-on-not-getting-a-podium-There-s-only-so-many