LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Smith, Tolzien thread. Yet again

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"Smith also called the sequence of events, the "nature of sports." "He got an opportunity, stepped up and made the most of it," he said of Kaepernick. "I mean, that's how I got my start in college. It's no different. The guy in front of me got hurt."

- Smith

For those who think it was unfair to lose your job due to injury.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/01/alex-smith-among-those-impressed-by-kaepernick.html#storylink=cpy
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Jcool:
rogers can say the right things but i wonder if he ever learned anything from the guy ahead of him. i heard he was very rude and cool to rogers. young can say the right nice things to about montana but sometimes i wonder about the setting and learning theory. going back to the old days, while alex may not have learned alot from garcia,, nolan really f**ked up when he opted not to bring back garcia for a couple years and threw alex in to the wolves.

Garcia left in 2003... Alex was drafted in 2005
i know that, did you know that when nolan was hired garcia openly campaigned for the niners to bring him back ,saying he would be the water boy on the team. nolan did not give him a look, i think that was a mistake , under garcia we may have had some success and alex probably would have done better had he set for a couple years

Rice wanted to come back too.
We cycled through other old ass WRs instead. f**kin Nolan.
johnny morton if i recall. it got so bad we were drooling for david boston
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
"Smith also called the sequence of events, the "nature of sports." "He got an opportunity, stepped up and made the most of it," he said of Kaepernick. "I mean, that's how I got my start in college. It's no different. The guy in front of me got hurt."

- Smith

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/01/alex-smith-among-those-impressed-by-kaepernick.html#storylink=cpy
i just did not like the timing. i thought it would upset the apple cart and locker room plus i did not know if ck was up to the challenge. he made me shut up a bit when he put us in a spot to win the first rams game twice. he shut me up further when he beat the bears but when he went to the dome and won against a improving saints team in front of those frothing fans, well i forgot about the "timing"
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

- Smith

You're missing the entire point of that article.

Alex Smith is the fu**in man. Love that dude, he has all of my respect. I am honored that we had the opportunity to call him a 49er. and I hope he has a great career, wherever he goes.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Jcool:
rogers can say the right things but i wonder if he ever learned anything from the guy ahead of him. i heard he was very rude and cool to rogers. young can say the right nice things to about montana but sometimes i wonder about the setting and learning theory. going back to the old days, while alex may not have learned alot from garcia,, nolan really f**ked up when he opted not to bring back garcia for a couple years and threw alex in to the wolves.

Garcia left in 2003... Alex was drafted in 2005
i know that, did you know that when nolan was hired garcia openly campaigned for the niners to bring him back ,saying he would be the water boy on the team. nolan did not give him a look, i think that was a mistake , under garcia we may have had some success and alex probably would have done better had he set for a couple years

Rice wanted to come back too.
We cycled through other old ass WRs instead. f**kin Nolan.
johnny morton if i recall. it got so bad we were drooling for david boston
it's not like SF at the time was a prime FA location..Nolan played the hand that was dealt and Drafted well.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
How about you go back and look at all of the scouting reports. Almost all of the scouts, gms, etc. had rodgers and smith labeled as nearly identical quarterbacks. I'm sure you are able to identify and distinguish between quarterbacks better than a majority of the scouts though.... If Rodgers had so much better accuracy it would have been a no brainer who to pick, correct? You don't realize that Smith was highly accurate in college. Go back and watch some film on smith.

I thought Rodgers was a no-brainer pick for the 49ers but it turns out I overestimated the 49ers, they would have been better off with no brains.

I am over it now thanks to the Niners have redeeming themselves.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jan 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM ]
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Anyways here are teams with quarterbacks that I think Alex Smith is clearly better than and arguably as good or better than

Clearly better than- Jaguars, Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Eagles, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Rams

Arguably as good or better than-

Ravens (I think he's similar to Joe Flacco status, although Flacco is playing lights out right now), Bengals, Steelers (Big Ben isn't all that good, a case can be made), Texans (Schaub looks kind of bad sometimes), Cowboys (Romo is a choke artist), Bears (Jay Cutler ain't all that), Lions (Stafford kind of sucked this year), Panthers (Cam Newton was also kind of boo boo and I think Smith is a better passer),

Now some of those guys may put up way bigger numbers, but I'd rather have Smith with the game on the line rather than a lot of them. So that is 20 teams with qbs that I think Smith may be on par with or better than. Out of those teams I think the Jaguars, Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Eagles, Bucs, Cardinals, and maybe even the Rams could show interest in trading for him. I think we should at least get a 3rd round pick, possibly a 2nd.

Dude, the comment about Alex beign on par or better than Big Ben is ridiculous. You're going to have to explain that one.

Flacco is better, period. It can't even be disputed.
Big Ben is better, period.
Schaub is better but Alex is close
Romo is better. He's asked to do far more than Smith. He's also fearless. I give points for that.
Cutler IMO is better but I can understand people who think he isn't.
Cam? NO way is Smith better
Smith is better than Henne but they're in the same mold IMO.
He's better than Sanchez, Locker, Cards QB
I'd put him in the same category as Palmer, Kolb, Cassel, Fitzpatrick, Bucs QB, etc.

I'd say he's better than about 10 starters in the league.

Just my opinion.

I said it was arguable that Smith is as good as Roethlisberger. This is based off of NOW. This past season Alex was playing at a higher level than Roethlisberger. Still Roethlisberger has won two superbowls and can really extend plays, so yeah he gets the nod. Was just saying it is arguable that based upon how Alex has performed these past two seasons he's on Roethlisbergers level. Smith doesn't do some of the bonehead plays that Roethlisberger does as well. Remember, you're not picked #1 overall if you don't have some pretty damn good talent. Smith has a hell of a lot of talent and it was finally showing before he got hurt.

And Kolb and Smith are equals? Please, give me a break. Kolb is BAD, just like the rest of the Arizona Cardinal Quarterbacks. Alex Smith > Josh Freeman, Carson Palmer, Matt Cassel... Big game on the line, I'm taking Smith over any of those guys any day of the week. Palmer is washed up... Cassel has never been very good. Was the product of the New England system, he hadn't started a game a quarterback prior to that since high school. Freeman has really regressed since his rookie year and looks absolutely awful some games, way too inconsistent. Fitzpatrick is ok, but turns the ball over much more than smith. Plus Smith has more talent.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami Smith: "Guy in front of me got hurt and that's how I got my first start. So it'd be pretty hypocritical to be upset about it.:

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows Count Alex Smith, who lost his job to Colin Kaepernick, among those impressed with what Kaepernick has accomplished. http://sacb.ee/XAS0B8

just a real good dude I wish him success on his future team.
Originally posted by susweel:
Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami Smith: "Guy in front of me got hurt and that's how I got my first start. So it'd be pretty hypocritical to be upset about it.:

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows Count Alex Smith, who lost his job to Colin Kaepernick, among those impressed with what Kaepernick has accomplished. http://sacb.ee/XAS0B8

just a real good dude I wish him success on his future team.

I love this quote from Alex, and everyone should read this...

"But at the same time, it is a team sport and these are my teammates. You go through so much together, especially these guys who have been here for a chunk of time. If you can't be happy, there's something wrong with you."

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
it's not like SF at the time was a prime FA location..Nolan played the hand that was dealt and Drafted well.

that is why he should not have turned up his nose when rice and garcia wanted to come back. i know he wanted to build his team but those two would not have been a negative to his goals

I said it was arguable that Smith is as good as Roethlisberger. This is based off of NOW. This past season Alex was playing at a higher level than Roethlisberger. Still Roethlisberger has won two superbowls and can really extend plays, so yeah he gets the nod. Was just saying it is arguable that based upon how Alex has performed these past two seasons he's on Roethlisbergers level. Smith doesn't do some of the bonehead plays that Roethlisberger does as well. Remember, you're not picked #1 overall if you don't have some pretty damn good talent. Smith has a hell of a lot of talent and it was finally showing before he got hurt.

And Kolb and Smith are equals? Please, give me a break. Kolb is BAD, just like the rest of the Arizona Cardinal Quarterbacks. Alex Smith > Josh Freeman, Carson Palmer, Matt Cassel... Big game on the line, I'm taking Smith over any of those guys any day of the week. Palmer is washed up... Cassel has never been very good. Was the product of the New England system, he hadn't started a game a quarterback prior to that since high school. Freeman has really regressed since his rookie year and looks absolutely awful some games, way too inconsistent. Fitzpatrick is ok, but turns the ball over much more than smith. Plus Smith has more talent.

NO! It is not arguable in any way. Alex is not better than Big Ben. Simply, no. Kolb is not BAD. He is an average QB with good accuracy playing on a crap team. Him and Alex have similar skillset and are similar type players. There's a difference between who you'd take with the game on the line and who is better. Say what you want about Josh but he threw 27 TD's and 4000+ yards last year. He's inconsistent as is Smith which is why I put them in the same category. Fitz turns the ball over, I agree, but you have to look at why he does it. He's always down because Buffalo's D is crap. He doesn't have the type of D where he can not take chances and manage games. It will be interesting to see where Alex goes next year and see what he's asked to do. Win games or manage them. I'm not saying he can't go out there and win games. Just saying, that's not what he was expected to do here. I don't think Smith has more talent than Fitz. They both can run, Fitz has the stronger arm, Alex is more accurate.
that is why he should not have turned up his nose when rice and garcia wanted to come back. i know he wanted to build his team but those two would not have been a negative to his goals

Wasn't it Erickson? Either way I hated both him and Nolan. I will never understand that Erickson hire.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:

Wasn't it Erickson? Either way I hated both him and Nolan. I will never understand that Erickson hire.
i agree ten fold with erickson. f**kin donahue fires mooch but has no plan to replace him with someone better. no when erickson was here rice was doing good things in oakland. and after one year with erickson garcia went to the browns which was a disaster for him. that is why when nolan got hired he came out in public and begged the niners to take him back. i am pretty sure that was the time frame
Gotta love Alex Smith. Got my picture taken with him in Green Bay a few years ago after the game by the team buses and he was as nice as could be. Im glad that Kaep is our QB now but Smith is an absolute classy individual. I will root for him to find success no matter where he goes.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Anyways here are teams with quarterbacks that I think Alex Smith is clearly better than and arguably as good or better than

Clearly better than- Jaguars, Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Eagles, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Rams

Arguably as good or better than-

Ravens (I think he's similar to Joe Flacco status, although Flacco is playing lights out right now), Bengals, Steelers (Big Ben isn't all that good, a case can be made), Texans (Schaub looks kind of bad sometimes), Cowboys (Romo is a choke artist), Bears (Jay Cutler ain't all that), Lions (Stafford kind of sucked this year), Panthers (Cam Newton was also kind of boo boo and I think Smith is a better passer),

Now some of those guys may put up way bigger numbers, but I'd rather have Smith with the game on the line rather than a lot of them. So that is 20 teams with qbs that I think Smith may be on par with or better than. Out of those teams I think the Jaguars, Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Eagles, Bucs, Cardinals, and maybe even the Rams could show interest in trading for him. I think we should at least get a 3rd round pick, possibly a 2nd.

Jaguars - Will give you this one.

Bills - Fitzpatrick is better than Smith IMO and probably in most people's...but this one could be arguable.

Dolphins - They have a potential QBof the future if Tannehill steps up next year. If you watched Miami games, you'd know he had a lot of ups and downs on a team with mediocre talent. I'd take him over Alex Smith for their situation.

Jets - Will give you this one.

Browns - You can't say he's definitely better than Weeden given their circumstances, but I'll give you this one as well.

Titans - Again, you can't say AS is better than Jake Locker given their circumstances. In this case, I'd take Locker over AS so I won't give you this one.

Chiefs - Alex Smith = Matt Cassel

Raiders - Will give you this one, but Palmer clearly has more physical tools (even now).

Bucs - Are you kidding me? Josh Freeman is much better than AS. I don't care what the QB rating says.

Cardinals - Will give you this one, but Kolb could be better next year.

Rams - Bradford > Smith, IMO. Similar players but I'd take Bradford.

Ravens - WTF. No.

Bengals - Again, no. Dalton is so much further along than AS and he's a 2nd year player.

Steelers - Just stop.

Texans - I'm not a Schaub fan at all, but AS isn't better than him and you certainly wouldn't start AS over Schaub.

Cowboys - Romo is 3x the QB Alex is. Nobody in their right mind would take AS over Romo.

Bears - Cutler is so mistake prone that this isn't as much of a blowout in his favor than you might think. Still Cutler > AS on any team I'm starting.

Lions - Stafford had an off year. Still almost threw for 5K. He's better than AS and that's not even arguable. Just has to cut down the mistakes and needs a better cast.

Panthers - Cam is better. Again, closer than it seems. Cam has a better arm and is clearly the better runner. With a bit more seasoning, he's a top 7 QB.

so when the nines beat the bills this year you were saying wow that fitzpatrick sure is better than the niners qb? this does put your opinionas in perspective
Share 49ersWebzone