There are 179 users in the forums

Your playing surface preference for the New Stadium

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your playing surface preference for the New Stadium

Well this ludicrous article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/candlestick-park-looks-a-lot-like-fedex-field/

opened up a whole debate about having uniform playing surfaces league-wide in the interests of "player safety" and prejudicial scrutiny by east coast types against the Stick. We already know the New Santa Clara Stadium will be natural grass, but how would you feel if in a few years field turf is mandated, or would you prefer the team just implement it in the first place?
Football is supposed to be played on grass. No more domes either, it is supposed to be outside.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Football is supposed to be played on grass. No more domes either, it is supposed to be outside.

ABSOLUTELY!!!
I'm for natural grass BUT whatever is the safest is probably best.
Concrete
2 parts to HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE:

1) the fans

2) the field

Reason why teams had a tough time playing in "The Frozen Tundra", mucky Candlestick Park, etc.

It's part of the game. No need to make every field look like Cowboys Stadium.
In the name of "safety" why not uniformly make everyone wear flags and outlaw tackles because they're so violent? Sissi-fication of America at it's finest.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Field Turf? Ughh, worst stuff on earth. Got to go all natural.
painted concrete
SO many sissy people commenting on that article too, saying its a conspiracy against high flying pass happy teams. Geez, the Arena Football League wants its fans back.

Originally posted by NinerG94:

ABSOLUTELY!!!

This times one million. They are the unspoken, and obviously neglected, rules of the game!
I voted for grass, but the league is never going to "mandate" field turf. That's crazy.

ALl this talk about how "bad" grass is...how many players tore their ACL at Candlestick this year? How many players did the Niners lose to leg injuries at home this year?

The players who were lost on leg injuries (Kyle WIlliams, Kendall Hunter) both got hurt on atificial turf in New Orleans.

Get this "artificial is better than grass" BS outta here.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by NinerG94:

ABSOLUTELY!!!

This times one million. They are the unspoken, and obviously neglected, rules of the game!

I don't seet it that way. I prefer grass in an open air stadiums, like the new Santa Clara Stadium. But for domes or stadiums with retractable roofs field turf is perfectly fine.
A lot of the new stadium turfs have that whitish green look to them. I hate that. Can't they try a little harder for that green grass look?

No dome of any kind, right?
Originally posted by zarilla:
A lot of the new stadium turfs have that whitish green look to them. I hate that. Can't they try a little harder for that green grass look?

No dome of any kind, right?

Well I don't like the way any artificial turf looks in the sunlight. It just looks fake to me.
Share 49ersWebzone