LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Vernon Davis / Kaepernick and our WR's route trees.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't know if this has been posted somewhere else, of so please merge. Watching video of the team I've noticed we don't use Davis on any 'typical' TE routes. No curls, very few short out patterns and not as many seam routes. Usually a TE is a QB'S best friend because of these yet we don't run these? We also don't employ very many dump offs to Gore or multi layer WR routes. Is this just our scheme, and Romans short comings or am I missing something?
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Jan 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM ]
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
I don't know if this has been posted somewhere else, of so please merge. Watching video of the team I've noticed we don't use Davis on any 'typical' TE routes. No curls, very few short out patterns and not as many seam routes. Usually a TE is a QB'S best friend because of these yet we don't run these? We also don't employ very many dump offs to Gore or multi layer WR routes. Is this just our scheme, and Romans short comings or am I missing something?

Vernon sucks at the QB Safety routes and his hands are not reliable.
no one wants to admit this, but we use Vernon mainly as a decoy to get others open.

as soon as teams are fed up with that and adjust, then he'll get more passes his way. But it just seems like the designed routes or playcalls are mainly designed for Vernon to draw the defense.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Vernon sucks at the QB Safety routes and his hands are not reliable.

Can make the tough catches but drops the easy ones?
Originally posted by Afrikan:
no one wants to admit this, but we use Vernon mainly as a decoy to get others open.

as soon as teams are fed up with that and adjust, then he'll get more passes his way. But it just seems like the designed routes or playcalls are mainly designed for Vernon to draw the defense.

I would think routes that force Lbs to cover underneath would open up the intermediate middle of the field?
I think its time to trade Vernon, he makes too much money to just be a blocking TE.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I think its time to trade Vernon, he makes too much money to just be a blocking TE.

yea and package a a deal to trade davis with willis for tebow
Originally posted by verb1der:

He does a lot more than just block, he gets other guys open by drawing coverage.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jan 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Vernon has been "figured out"
Originally posted by susweel:
Vernon has been "figured out"

yea we wont get anything for him anymore. lets just cut him and hope walker starts to catch the ball

I think this is part of the reason we don't convert more 3rd downs. He rarely runs hitches or digs which makes me wonder if it's Romans scheme or Davis' ability?
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
I think this is part of the reason we don't convert more 3rd downs. He rarely runs hitches or digs which makes me wonder if it's Romans scheme or Davis' ability?

i personally believe kaep is more used to throwing to walker than davis. AS was always looking for Davis while kaep looks for walker instead
According to Football outsider Davis is one of the more consistent TEs in the league this year. Conversely, Walker is one of the worst :

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te2012
Obviously Davis has not been himself this season. I wonder if a lot of it has to do with his life outside of football. He's vocal about being an entrepreneur (spell check) in the fashion and art worlds, so perhaps this is taking his focus off of football.

Whatever the reason, he's got to step up big time in the playoffs like he did last season. I don't know if I necessarily see that happening, but it'd be a huge boon for this team, especially now that their WR corps is so depleted.
i dont think its davis with the issue, i believe its the lack of chemistry with kaep and davis. kaep and walker have better chemistry with each other than davis
Share 49ersWebzone