There are 242 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick vs RGIII and others - Statistical Comparison...

Originally posted by SJniner7:
How do the stats look when you compare each players first 7 games? I think that is more key than extrapolating stats. Without having a full season, it is impossible to determine how the QB will reallly function.

Thats fair....

RG3:

133-189, 70.3 comp%, 1601 yards, 7 TDs, 3 INTs, 101.75 Rating, 64 carries, 468 yards, 6 TDs

Kaep:

120-192, 62.5 comp%, 1608 yards, 10 TDs, 3 INTs, 99.9 Rating, 42 carries, 238 yards, 2 TDs

Wow. Not bad by either guy.

Lets not get this twisted. I'm not saying Kaep is way better than RG3 or something. RG3 is GOOD. Really good. I'm just saying Kaep is pretty damn good too. Yes, we can make the agrument that Kaep has over a year to learn the offense before his first start and RG3 is a ture rookie, but I could turn around and say that RG3 was far more NFL ready than Kaep and RG3 is playing much more in the Pistol than Kaep is.

Yes, Kaep has a better supporting cast, but that doesn't disqualify all of the numbers.

Either way, I think both of these guys are a part of a new generation at QB.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Kaepernick is in his 2nd year of this offense, these rookies are putting up similar numbers in their first year, Id take Luck, Wilson and RGIII over Kaepernick any day of the week

Kaepernick has the strongest arm of all of them, he's taller and sees the field better than any of them, he has better a better QBR for his first starts than any of them, he's faster than all of them although comparable with RGIII and none of them have anything on him in terms of dedication and workout habits. By half way through next season, you're going to hope nobody remembers you posted that.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Kaepernick is in his 2nd year of this offense, these rookies are putting up similar numbers in their first year, Id take Luck, Wilson and RGIII over Kaepernick any day of the week

Kaepernick has the strongest arm of all of them, he's taller and sees the field better than any of them, he has better a better QBR for his first starts than any of them, he's faster than all of them although comparable with RGIII and none of them have anything on him in terms of dedication and workout habits. By half way through next season, you're going to hope nobody remembers you posted that.

I'd say that RGIII is faster by a good margin and ALL of them have a great work ethic.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by WWFGD:
Marvin49,

You are without a doubt my favorite poster in the Webzone. Great analysis and great videos! Keep it up!!!

That's why he's the leading vote getter so far in the WZ Favorite Poster category in the PL poll

Wow.

I'm speechless....I never even saw that thread till now.

I'd say that RGIII is faster by a good margin and ALL of them have a great work ethic.

You're right. RGIII combine 40 was 4.41, while Kaepernick was 4.53, so they're close in quickness, but having watched them both, I think that once he gets going, Kaepernick gets down the field faster with pads and helmet on. Still, if you think about it, a 6'5", 235 lb player having quickness that's just about a tenth of a second slower than RGIII is pretty damn impressive. I think Kaepernick is a stone cold freak.
The one thing I like better about RG3 and Wilson is their lateral quickness. Their shiftyness. Kaep has speed but he's too tall and lanky to really possess the agility these guys have. As far as mobility that's the biggest difference. But Kaep makes up for it with his sheer size. He can do certain things those guys can't.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
The one thing I like better about RG3 and Wilson is their lateral quickness. Their shiftyness. Kaep has speed but he's too tall and lanky to really possess the agility these guys have. As far as mobility that's the biggest difference. But Kaep makes up for it with his sheer size. He can do certain things those guys can't.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Kaep is tall and rangy and a bit stiff. His size and stature tho makes him capable of being a prototypical pocket passer when he needs to be...something Wilson will never be. Kaep is exteremely mobile, but those other guys move like RBs.

10 years from now if Kaep is still starting, he won't have the wheels anymore, but he''ll always have that stature and that arm.

When Wilson and RG3 get older, they may go the Vick route and become less and less effective.

Thats all conjecture of course.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM ]

Russell Wilson's combine 40 was 4.55. Kaepernick's was 4.53. RGII's was 4.41. I find it pretty amazing that a 6.5" 235 lb athlete has comparable quickness with those two guys.
I went to Nevada when Kaep was there. He dominated and has a ton of experience. RG3 is solid, but not underestimated. Defenses and fans are still underestimating the Kaeptain. His accuracy is very improved and he is as hungry as ever. He had to win a lot of games on his own in college. He needs to realize he does not have to force things with the niners. Play within the system and win the SB.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Russell Wilson's combine 40 was 4.55. Kaepernick's was 4.53. RGII's was 4.41. I find it pretty amazing that a 6.5" 235 lb athlete has comparable quickness with those two guys.

This whole time I thought RG3 was like 6'5, 6'6, lol

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Kaep is tall and rangy and a bit stiff. His size and stature tho makes him capable of being a prototypical pocket passer when he needs to be...something Wilson will never be. Kaep is exteremely mobile, but those other guys move like RBs.

10 years from now if Kaep is still starting, he won't have the wheels anymore, but he''ll always have that stature and that arm.

When Wilson and RG3 get older, they may go the Vick route and become less and less effective.

Thats all conjecture of course.

It also depends on who is asked to do more. I recall hearing Cossell say Luck is he best QB and that stats alone do not show it. Luck is Asked to do a lot more than RG3 is within their offenses.

Of course, this was prior to Kaep starting. Wonder if Kaep is required to do more than some of the other rookies minus Luck.
Injury probability is another factor. RGIII looks like a rag doll every time he gets hit. Kaep seems to take hits better, yes he is bigger, but he just seems to protect his body better.

Kaep + LMJ running the read option next year will be a killer combo.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
This whole time I thought RG3 was like 6'5, 6'6, lol

I know you're joking, but I think it's kind of amazing that Kaepernick has comparable quickness. RGIII is 6'2", 215 lbs, Wilson is 5'10", 210 lbs and Kaepernick is 6'5", 235 lbs. I find the fact that Kaepernick is in the same conversation as those guys in terms of speed and quickness very impressive. He's big enough to be in Rothlesberger's range in terms of hard to bring down and yet he's much, much quicker and faster than a guy like Rothlesberger.
Great topic.

In terms of raw ability, I give the nod to RGIII. Although Shanahan is an offensive genious, I feel that Kaep is purely a systems quarterback (at this point of his career). He just brings more to the table than Alex Smith, and thats why we're seeing a lot more diversity in the playcalling with Kaep under center. I still think Kaep can become a superstar for this team, but RGIII is a better QB. He has better instincts, better accuracy, and better intelligence.