LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Kaepernick vs RGIII and others - Statistical Comparison...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If you're talking about raw ability, I'd have to say Kaepernick. Bigger, taller, comparable speed and quickness, stronger arm, comparable football smarts, throws better while running to the left, seems to be less likely to bail and run after the first or second read. Kaepernick, and this is just my opinion, seems to be more aware of what's going on around him and takes better care of himself while running. Statistically, they're very close. Kaepernick has a bit lower completion percentage, but he has the highest yards per completion among all starters in the league. Kaepernick has half the TD's but has started half the amount of games. Griffin has a 102.4 rating, but Kaepernick has a 98.3, which is in the same ballpark.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kaep is as fast but he's not as quick. He can't bounce around in the pocket and he is not able to do a 1.5 yard side step on a dead stop from moving forward. I sort of wish Kaep had more of a choppy stride because that actually would make him stronger in the pocket. Ben is more choppy so he doesn't commit to a long stride which makes him tougher to bring down.

I know it seems that way, but the 40 numbers don't bear that out. Kaepernick's combine 40 was a little faster than Russell Wilson's, for what it's worth. Of course, maybe that's because when Kaepernick gets going, he really covers ground fast, so you're probably right about in the pocket. What I really like about Kaepernick in the pocket is that he uses his height and keeps looking down field. And, when he vacates the pocket, he's still looking down field as he runs to his right or his left.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I understand your point, but Kaep didn't even get a Training Camp last year (Lockout) and all of those guys have had twice as many starts THIS year.

Yes, he's had more time to absorb the offense and to sit behind Alex for a year, but I think too many people put to much emphasis on time sitting on the bench as "experience".

Kaepernick inherited a good team that was already winning. Colts were a joke last year.. redskins had good peices in place.. and Seattle was very mediocre.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Russell Wilson's combine 40 was 4.55. Kaepernick's was 4.53. RGII's was 4.41. I find it pretty amazing that a 6.5" 235 lb athlete has comparable quickness with those two guys.

if you want to look at quickness look at the 20 yard shuttle..
Originally posted by Souz123:
Russell Wilson's combine 40 was 4.55. Kaepernick's was 4.53. RGII's was 4.41. I find it pretty amazing that a 6.5" 235 lb athlete has comparable quickness with those two guys.

if you want to look at quickness look at the 20 yard shuttle..

There are no 20-yard shuttle numbers for RGIII or Kaepernick. Russell Wilson's was 4.09. Ponder 4.09 Tolzien 4.11.
Still would rather have Luck
Originally posted by defenderDX:

I have thought about this one. Remember, how many years did Harbaugh have developing Luck? Give Kaep never played in a pro style offense until this year.
Kaepernick is a much better athlete than Luck. He has a better arm and he's faster. He's taller and sees the field better. And Luck's been in a pro set for years now. I'll take Kaepernick over Luck any day.
Originally posted by WWFGD:
Marvin49,

You are without a doubt my favorite poster in the Webzone. Great analysis and great videos! Keep it up!!!

This!

I have thought about this one. Remember, how many years did Harbaugh have developing Luck? Give Kaep never played in a pro style offense until this year.

do you guys think if Kaepernick was at Stanford with Harbaugh, Kaep would be the #1 overall pick???

What would we have had to do to make that happen? Trade an arm, a leg, and a kidney or two? It would have been cheaper for us to land Peyton Manning than to draft luck.

For the value compared to cost we got probably the best option overall for the team.
[ Edited by BayArea on Jan 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM ]
Kaepernick is a much better athlete than Luck. He has a better arm and he's faster. He's taller and sees the field better. And Luck's been in a pro set for years now. I'll take Kaepernick over Luck any day.

agree on the better arm and speed. However, Luck seems like he runs the offense better though, that can be attributed to having been groomed by Harbaugh for years. raw talent alone kaep is better.
Originally posted by BayArea:

What would we have had to do to make that happen? Trade an arm, a leg, and a kidney or two? It would have been cheaper for us to land Peyton Manning than to draft luck.

For the value compared to cost we got probably the best option overall for the team.

ok
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
do you guys think if Kaepernick was at Stanford with Harbaugh, Kaep would be the #1 overall pick???

Good question! Very hard to speculate, but I see it as a possibility. I am excited to see what Kap can do as he gains experience and knowledge with NFL experience. NExt year should be very interesting. I feel that Russell Wilson will flame out, because they will figure out how to contain the guy. He is like a smaller version of Big Ben, with a smaller arm.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

Who knows. Impossible to know.

Kaep would certainly have been taken higher because one of the knocks on him was the offense he played in and the level of competition. He wouldn't have been viewed as a "project" QB had he had Harbaugh in college.

I'm not going to go so far as to say I'd take Kaep over Luck. Luck willed his team to the playoffs. As good as Kaep has played, he's more been along for the ride. I think Kaep may be more physically gifted than Luck but only time will tell if he can master the mental side as well as Luck has. He has the right coach to do it though so I don't put it past him.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone