LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 415 users in the forums

Kaepernick vs RGIII and others - Statistical Comparison...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think this is a fair analysis and CK compares favorable to any of the Big 3 Rookie QBs of 2012.

'm interested in seeing how he looks in 2013 after a full offseason and training camp as THE guy. The offense should run a lot smoother.
Hypothetical question:

How many games would the Colts have won this year is they had Kaep instead of Luck?

How many games would we have won if we had Luck instead of Kaep/Smith? (Don't make this about Smith either)
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Hypothetical question:

How many games would the Colts have won this year is they had Kaep instead of Luck?

How many games would we have won if we had Luck instead of Kaep/Smith? (Don't make this about Smith either)

Well...I stated this before...I still think Luck is much farther along mentally. I said in my initial post that Luck gets a pass because he is forced to throw the ball and he is the entire reason they are in the playoffs.

He had 4 years of Harbaugh. Kaep has had 1.5. We will never know how Kaep would be viewed if he had played at Stanford, but he certainly would have been drafted higher because the "project", and "lower level of competition" arguments couldn't have been made.

To answer your question tho, I don't think we would have won that many more games with Luck, tho his numbers would be FAR better in SF than in Indy. Better supporting cast and he'd walk into an offense he already knows.

Kaep wouldn't have faired as well as Luck in Indy because he was raw. Harbaugh has gotten him to this point. I dunno if the Indy coaches could have.

Every single QB Harbaugh has coached (on every level) has had success (Mortenson, Johnson, Luck, Smith, and Kaep). Some of that is his coaching and some of that is his ability to spot QBs.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Hypothetical question:

Well...I stated this before...I still think Luck is much farther along mentally. I said in my initial post that Luck gets a pass because he is forced to throw the ball and he is the entire reason they are in the playoffs.

He had 4 years of Harbaugh. Kaep has had 1.5. We will never know how Kaep would be viewed if he had played at Stanford, but he certainly would have been drafted higher because the "project", and "lower level of competition" arguments couldn't have been made.

To answer your question tho, I don't think we would have won that many more games with Luck, tho his numbers would be FAR better in SF than in Indy. Better supporting cast and he'd walk into an offense he already knows.

Kaep wouldn't have faired as well as Luck in Indy because he was raw. Harbaugh has gotten him to this point. I dunno if the Indy coaches could have.

Every single QB Harbaugh has coached (on every level) has had success (Mortenson, Johnson, Luck, Smith, and Kaep). Some of that is his coaching and some of that is his ability to spot QBs.

And some of it is the QB. I think you are overestimating the impact that Harbaugh had on Luck. He definitely helped him but he was highly touted coming out of high school for the same reasons he was the #1 draft pick; decision making, intelligence, poise and leadership. Luck only had Harbaugh for 3 years not 4. And Luck's dad was also a NFL QB who had been developing him to be a QB since he was a kid ala the Manning brothers. There is a reason Luck has been described as the best QB propect to come out of college since Peyton Manning.
And some of it is the QB. I think you are overestimating the impact that Harbaugh had on Luck. He definitely helped him but he was highly touted coming out of high school for the same reasons he was the #1 draft pick; decision making, intelligence, poise and leadership. Luck only had Harbaugh for 3 years not 4. And Luck's dad was also a NFL QB who had been developing him to be a QB since he was a kid ala the Manning brothers. There is a reason Luck has been described as the best QB propect to come out of college since Peyton Manning.

I think you should read up on Harbaugh's background coaching QB's. Luck wasn't the first QB he worked with. He turned Josh Johnson into one of the highest rated QB's in college after he had been only mediocre. And, I think everyone is actually over-valuing Luck's year. Yes, he averaged about 270 yards a game, but he threw the ball over 600 times this season with a completion rate of about 54%. His quarterback rating is 76. Yes, he threw for 23 TD's, but he also threw 18 interceptions. And, he's been in the pro set for years now. Kaepernick has 7 starts with the pro set and has a much higher rating, much higher completion percentage, much lower interception rate and over a yard more in yardage per completion. But, Kaepernick has Harbaugh. I think Luck would have had a phenomenal year of Harbaugh were coaching him. But, I still think Kaepernick actually has more upside than Luck.
Originally posted by susweel:
CK7 >>>> RG3

false
Originally posted by GNielsen:

I think you should read up on Harbaugh's background coaching QB's. Luck wasn't the first QB he worked with. He turned Josh Johnson into one of the highest rated QB's in college after he had been only mediocre. And, I think everyone is actually over-valuing Luck's year. Yes, he averaged about 270 yards a game, but he threw the ball over 600 times this season with a completion rate of about 54%. His quarterback rating is 76. Yes, he threw for 23 TD's, but he also threw 18 interceptions. And, he's been in the pro set for years now. Kaepernick has 7 starts with the pro set and has a much higher rating, much higher completion percentage, much lower interception rate and over a yard more in yardage per completion. But, Kaepernick has Harbaugh. I think Luck would have had a phenomenal year of Harbaugh were coaching him. But, I still think Kaepernick actually has more upside than Luck.

I don't need to read up on Harbaugh's background. I've known about it before he came here. Josh Johnson was drafted in the 5th round and last I heard was 3rd string QB on the browns. Stats? Luck's season it not about stats! Look at what he's working with. They have by far have the weakest team in the playoffs and he's the ONLY reason they are there. IMO you put Luck on this team right now and this offense would be unstoppable.

I don't need to read up on Harbaugh's background. I've known about it before he came here. Josh Johnson was drafted in the 5th round and last I heard was 3rd string QB on the browns. Stats? Luck's season it not about stats! Look at what he's working with. They have by far have the weakest team in the playoffs and he's the ONLY reason they are there. IMO you put Luck on this team right now and this offense would be unstoppable.

Luck is he best one out of all of them. I don't understand why Kaep has more upside? Is Luck not considered an athletic freak because he's white? Lucks athleticism is highly underrated.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Luck is he best one out of all of them. I don't understand why Kaep has more upside? Is Luck not considered an athletic freak because he's white? Lucks athleticism is highly underrated.

what if you put Alex Smith on the Colts this year?

they make playoffs?
Alex has the same high passer rating??
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

they make playoffs?

Keep alex smith out of this thread.

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by susweel:
if I had a choice between the two I would take CK over rg3 right now.

Me too especially with RG3's knee the way it is

Man great that we have CK but hard to beat how smart RGIII is. CK is a probowl level QB but I think RGIII will be a HOF. That said, I wouldn't want to be the Skins paying off their investment in RGIII to the Rams.
"Luck is he best one out of all of them. I don't understand why Kaep has more upside? Is Luck not considered an athletic freak because he's white? Lucks athleticism is highly underrated."

Has nothing to do wth his skin color. RGIII is the better athlete. RGIII could play any position but the lines and probably be a HOF. Can Luck?
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

they make playoffs?

Keep alex smith out of this thread.

Quit saying Alex Smith
Both Luck and RG3 are very fine qb's. No need to belittle them to talk up Kaep.

Uhh, Freeney and that defense have been great. Reggie Wayne may have punched his HOFticket with this season because everyone would say it do to
Manning but not now.
[ Edited by LBSI9ers on Jan 5, 2013 at 5:27 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone