Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:I generally agree with Phoenix. I am not a fan of Roman.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Anyone who wants Norv, after seeing how different and flat out BETTER our offense is with Greg Roman, is a moron.
Norv is not going to match the kind of creativity that is helping us win games at the moment.
What creativity????? He runs a bunch of gimmicks that 90% of the time don't work. He was a college running game coordinator, he does fine with the running game, he's absolute s**t when it comes to the passing game. At least Turner is an accomplished guy who can call both the run and the pass.
How did that creativity help against the Vikings, the Rams(both games), the Seahawks, the Giants....etc. He has no balance, no idea of how to properly call a game, he runs when he should pass, he passes when he should run, like in the Minnesota game. In the Rams game, the cornerbacks were playing off the WR's by about 10 yards, so what does he do? Runs the ball up the middle over and over so Gore can get his ass kicked. BRB, call an option play with Ted Ginn who has caught 1 pass the entire year, at the end of the game, up by 8, backed up against your own endzone.
This team is winning and has been winning largely as a result of their defense, when the defense isn't up to the task, the 49ers get slaughtered because the offense can't handle the burden because the playcalling is garbage.
The win/loss record speaks for itself.
You want to go from all of our innovative uses of motion & personnel to... Norv Turner and the digit system.
We took two steps forward, and now you want us to take three steps back.
If we're winning 12 games a year, 90% of the time his playcalling IS working duder.
Some people dont get that the 10% is often run just to set up the other 90% as well...
Not every play is going to go for a TD some are just there to change pace, offer different looks, or sell the D on a tendancy that isnt really there.
This. I've talked about with Phoenix and several others about it and losing Roman would not be a lose in the smallest bit.
Greg Roman creates and implements nothing but our run game......
WR coach Morton creates and implements our passing game......
QB coach Chryst creates and implements our red zone package(both run and pass).....
Media has even reported that Roman isn't the only one physically calling the plays on game day but that sometimes Morton and Chryst call plays from the sideline, and communicate directly with Harbaugh about each play(In fact our most famous play in recent memory The Vernon Post was designed during practice and called during the game by Chryst not Roman) -- even those that come from Roman in the booth.
Harbaugh OKs or vetoes every play we call. Harbaugh is the beginning and the end of this system if we lose Roman, Morton, or Chryst they are easily replaceable as Harbaugh is the constant piece that matters.
I could easily see Drevno(1st choice as he has experience as OC under Harbaugh at USD under Harbaugh and 1 year prior, also has success other programs) or Solari being promoted to running game coordinator with Paul Wulff being promoted to OL coach.
Even if we lose Roman and officially make Chryst or Morton the OC then we still need a running game coordinator and of our current staff Tim Drevno is the best candidate. Tom Rathman is too valuable as an RB coach and IMHO running game hinges more on the OL being taught how to properly block for the scheme and the RBs only need to react to the blocks and if they taught how to perform well by their RB coach things will work out.
So my vote is for Tim Drevno and the fact that he only has 1% of the votes and Chryst leads despite the fact that nearly every time I've mentioned Chryst as OC or seen others mention it, multiple people freak out and cite his "terrible and short" stint as an OC nearly 15-20 years ago is incredibly unsetting and shows just how backwards this forum can be....
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM ]