There are 196 users in the forums

If Roman leaves, who would you want at OC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If Roman leaves, who would you want at OC?

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Agreed.

Anyone who wants Norv, after seeing how different and flat out BETTER our offense is with Greg Roman, is a moron.

Norv is not going to match the kind of creativity that is helping us win games at the moment.

What creativity????? He runs a bunch of gimmicks that 90% of the time don't work. He was a college running game coordinator, he does fine with the running game, he's absolute s**t when it comes to the passing game. At least Turner is an accomplished guy who can call both the run and the pass.

How did that creativity help against the Vikings, the Rams(both games), the Seahawks, the Giants....etc. He has no balance, no idea of how to properly call a game, he runs when he should pass, he passes when he should run, like in the Minnesota game. In the Rams game, the cornerbacks were playing off the WR's by about 10 yards, so what does he do? Runs the ball up the middle over and over so Gore can get his ass kicked. BRB, call an option play with Ted Ginn who has caught 1 pass the entire year, at the end of the game, up by 8, backed up against your own endzone.

This team is winning and has been winning largely as a result of their defense, when the defense isn't up to the task, the 49ers get slaughtered because the offense can't handle the burden because the playcalling is garbage.

The win/loss record speaks for itself.

You want to go from all of our innovative uses of motion & personnel to... Norv Turner and the digit system.

We took two steps forward, and now you want us to take three steps back.

If we're winning 12 games a year, 90% of the time his playcalling IS working duder.

Some people dont get that the 10% is often run just to set up the other 90% as well...

Not every play is going to go for a TD some are just there to change pace, offer different looks, or sell the D on a tendancy that isnt really there.
I generally agree with Phoenix. I am not a fan of Roman.

This. I've talked about with Phoenix and several others about it and losing Roman would not be a lose in the smallest bit.

Greg Roman creates and implements nothing but our run game......

WR coach Morton creates and implements our passing game......

QB coach Chryst creates and implements our red zone package(both run and pass).....

Media has even reported that Roman isn't the only one physically calling the plays on game day but that sometimes Morton and Chryst call plays from the sideline, and communicate directly with Harbaugh about each play(In fact our most famous play in recent memory The Vernon Post was designed during practice and called during the game by Chryst not Roman) -- even those that come from Roman in the booth.

Harbaugh OKs or vetoes every play we call. Harbaugh is the beginning and the end of this system if we lose Roman, Morton, or Chryst they are easily replaceable as Harbaugh is the constant piece that matters.

I could easily see Drevno(1st choice as he has experience as OC under Harbaugh at USD under Harbaugh and 1 year prior, also has success other programs) or Solari being promoted to running game coordinator with Paul Wulff being promoted to OL coach.

Even if we lose Roman and officially make Chryst or Morton the OC then we still need a running game coordinator and of our current staff Tim Drevno is the best candidate. Tom Rathman is too valuable as an RB coach and IMHO running game hinges more on the OL being taught how to properly block for the scheme and the RBs only need to react to the blocks and if they taught how to perform well by their RB coach things will work out.

So my vote is for Tim Drevno and the fact that he only has 1% of the votes and Chryst leads despite the fact that nearly every time I've mentioned Chryst as OC or seen others mention it, multiple people freak out and cite his "terrible and short" stint as an OC nearly 15-20 years ago is incredibly unsetting and shows just how backwards this forum can be....
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
This. I've talked about with Phoenix and several others about it and losing Roman would not be a lose in the smallest bit.

QB coach Chryst creates and implements our red zone package(both run and pass).....

Media has even reported that Roman isn't the only one physically calling the plays on game day but that sometimes Morton and Chryst call plays from the sideline, and communicate directly with Harbaugh about each play(In fact our most famous play in recent memory The Vernon Post was designed during practice and called during the game by Chryst not Roman) -- even those that come from Roman in the booth.

Harbaugh OKs or vetoes every play we call. Harbaugh is the beginning and the end of this system if we lose Roman, Morton, or Chryst they are easily replaceable as Harbaugh is the constant piece that matters.

I could easily see Drevno(1st choice as he has experience as OC under Harbaugh at USD under Harbaugh and 1 year prior, also has success other programs) or Solari being promoted to running game coordinator with Paul Wulff being promoted to OL coach.

Even if we lose Roman and officially make Chryst or Morton the OC then we still need a running game coordinator and of our current staff Tim Drevno is the best candidate. Tom Rathman is too valuable as an RB coach and IMHO running game hinges more on the OL being taught how to properly block for the scheme and the RBs only need to react to the blocks and if they taught how to perform well by their RB coach things will work out.

So my vote is for Tim Drevno and the fact that he only has 1% of the votes and Chryst leads despite the fact that nearly every time I've mentioned Chryst as OC or seen others mention it, multiple people freak out and cite his "terrible and short" stint as an OC nearly 15-20 years ago is incredibly unsetting and shows just how backwards this forum can be....

If he was worthwhile as a playcaller, his last and only stint at offensive coordinator would not have ended "15-20" years ago.

You can go back literally 25 years and find no example of a semi-successful or even slightly successful playcaller that wasn't normally given another opportunity to call plays or be a head coach within 6-8 years of being fired. If Chryst was worthwhile as an offensive coordinator, he wouldn't have been side-stepped in Carolina and would have drawn some interest from somebody.

You don't all of a sudden become a "great" playcaller, regardless of how much time passes. Its a combination of experience, knowledge, natural instinct and mastery of strategy. Anybody can learn to play chess, not everyone is going to be good at it. You're basically arguing with what reality has presented and trying to make up your own fictional version in the process where Chryst all of a sudden morphs into Bill Walsh when that is absolutely unprecedented historically.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
If he was worthwhile as a playcaller, his last and only stint at offensive coordinator would not have ended "15-20" years ago.

You can go back literally 25 years and find no example of a semi-successful or even slightly successful playcaller that wasn't normally given another opportunity to call plays or be a head coach within 6-8 years of being fired. If Chryst was worthwhile as an offensive coordinator, he wouldn't have been side-stepped in Carolina and would have drawn some interest from somebody.

You don't all of a sudden become a "great" playcaller, regardless of how much time passes. Its a combination of experience, knowledge, natural instinct and mastery of strategy. Anybody can learn to play chess, not everyone is going to be good at it. You're basically arguing with what reality has presented and trying to make up your own fictional version in the process where Chryst all of a sudden morphs into Bill Walsh when that is absolutely unprecedented historically.

for real. That is my point -- so many people on this board go OMG NO CHRYST AS OC DO NOT WANT yet he has 73% of the vote? What is everyone smoking??

Yes it was Idaho(OL coach) and U of San Diego (offensive coordinator) but Drevno had massive success at those programs and showed equally great work with the OL at Stanford(OL coach). Drevno's resume is far greater then nearly candiate who would fill the exact "void" left by Roman.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Agreed.

Anyone who wants Norv, after seeing how different and flat out BETTER our offense is with Greg Roman, is a moron.

Norv is not going to match the kind of creativity that is helping us win games at the moment.

What creativity????? He runs a bunch of gimmicks that 90% of the time don't work. He was a college running game coordinator, he does fine with the running game, he's absolute s**t when it comes to the passing game. At least Turner is an accomplished guy who can call both the run and the pass.

How did that creativity help against the Vikings, the Rams(both games), the Seahawks, the Giants....etc. He has no balance, no idea of how to properly call a game, he runs when he should pass, he passes when he should run, like in the Minnesota game. In the Rams game, the cornerbacks were playing off the WR's by about 10 yards, so what does he do? Runs the ball up the middle over and over so Gore can get his ass kicked. BRB, call an option play with Ted Ginn who has caught 1 pass the entire year, at the end of the game, up by 8, backed up against your own endzone.

This team is winning and has been winning largely as a result of their defense, when the defense isn't up to the task, the 49ers get slaughtered because the offense can't handle the burden because the playcalling is garbage.

The win/loss record speaks for itself.

You want to go from all of our innovative uses of motion & personnel to... Norv Turner and the digit system.

We took two steps forward, and now you want us to take three steps back.

If we're winning 12 games a year, 90% of the time his playcalling IS working duder.

Some people dont get that the 10% is often run just to set up the other 90% as well...

Not every play is going to go for a TD some are just there to change pace, offer different looks, or sell the D on a tendancy that isnt really there.
I generally agree with Phoenix. I am not a fan of Roman.

good stuff /thread
for real. That is my point -- so many people on this board go OMG NO CHRYST AS OC DO NOT WANT yet he has 73% of the vote? What is everyone smoking??

Yes it was Idaho(OL coach) and U of San Diego (offensive coordinator) but Drevno had massive success at those programs and showed equally great work with the OL at Stanford(OL coach). Drevno's resume is far greater then nearly candiate who would fill the exact "void" left by Roman.

I would hope the 49ers need someone more than just settling for "filling" the void left for Roman. One of the issues is that Roman's playcalling has been less than stellar, especially in regards to the passing game. That is not at all surprising, seeing as he was a running game coordinator. In anycase, this isn't college anymore, they need one guy that is competent in regards to both the running and passing games, someone like Shurmur, Trestman, a professional level playcaller, not some random college coordinator.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I would hope the 49ers need someone more than just settling for "filling" the void left for Roman. One of the issues is that Roman's playcalling has been less than stellar, especially in regards to the passing game. That is not at all surprising, seeing as he was a running game coordinator. In anycase, this isn't college anymore, they need one guy that is competent in regards to both the running and passing games, someone like Shurmur, Trestman, a professional level playcaller, not some random college coordinator.

Our offense will never have a single play caller. It is not in Harbuagh's scheme -- I'm not Harbaugh so that could easily change but if Roman leaves we will continue on with our current coaching/play calling model and replace the part that was removed -- hopefully with a better piece.
George Seifert !!
Our offense will never have a single play caller. It is not in Harbuagh's scheme -- I'm not Harbaugh so that could easily change but if Roman leaves we will continue on with our current coaching/play calling model and replace the part that was removed -- hopefully with a better piece.

Where are people getting this from? Roman IS the playcaller, Harbaugh has some sort of veto as the head coach, but that is it. People misunderstood media reports talking about Chryst designing a play during the playoffs and then ran with it. Harbaugh himself has confirmed that Roman is the only playcaller. During the last couple of games it seemed like Harbaugh got more involved during the game, but basically Roman is the playcaller with Harbaugh having veto power and that would not change for any offensive coordinator that was brought in.

Are you one of those that thinks Morton is calling passing plays and Chryst is calling red-zone plays? Because that isn't the situation at all, during the week, various assistants such as Chryst and Morton help with the gameplan, they organize certain plays to be used against a particular team, the choice is up to Roman ultimately whether or not he uses those plays during a game or something else. This isn't anything foreign or unique, virtually every other team uses the same process and divies up the gameplanning between a variety of coaching staff.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM ]
Originally posted by pahlerbj:

Why not Ray Rhodes????
rob ryan

Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Jesu80ncleats.
Marc Trestman
Originally posted by PTulini:
1. I will there was a way to get Bill Callahan away from the Cowboys.

2. Marty Mornhinweg

3. Mike Mularkey

What do you guys think?
I like Marty but I think you will have to pry him from Andy's greasy KFC stained fingers.

Where are people getting this from? Roman IS the playcaller, Harbaugh has some sort of veto as the head coach, but that is it. People misunderstood media reports talking about Chryst designing a play during the playoffs and then ran with it. Harbaugh himself has confirmed that Roman is the only playcaller. During the last couple of games it seemed like Harbaugh got more involved during the game, but basically Roman is the playcaller with Harbaugh having veto power and that would not change for any offensive coordinator that was brought in.

Are you one of those that thinks Morton is calling passing plays and Chryst is calling red-zone plays? Because that isn't the situation at all, during the week, various assistants such as Chryst and Morton help with the gameplan, they organize certain plays to be used against a particular team, the choice is up to Roman ultimately whether or not he uses those plays during a game or something else. This isn't anything foreign or unique, virtually every other team uses the same process and divies up the gameplanning between a variety of coaching staff.

Agreed Phoenix.... you guys have think about this logically, how would that even work. First of all someone would have to decide if it was a run or a pass when outside the redzone, then the coach assigned the run or pass would have to make a call, then it would have to go to Harbaugh who would say yes/no. If no then it would have to back etc...then if its in the redzone its a different coach all together who gets to choose run or pass but call his own play? No way...it would be too chaotic, you would never get the play in. They may all draw up plays during the week, but Roman is the guy who gets to pick those plays once live bullets are being fired.
Roman barely has his feet wet as an NFL coordinator. How in the hell can anyone seriously consider him for head coach? I don't understand it but don't really care. The system will remain in place and that is what is important I guess. Hopefully if he leaves he takes the pistol formation with him. Having said that I really wish he would stay a couple more years. If we can't get more than two years out of an offensive coodinator, its going to be tough to remain somewhat consistent even with the system still in place. If his replacement does well then hes going to be out in one to two years too. Not good enough. We've been burning through OC's like bums do crack and it must stop.
If Chryst is calling the Red Zone Offense then I don't want him as OC.
Share 49ersWebzone