Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by rondoman:
Originally posted by BayArea:
I like what I am hearing about Cundiff. Like many others I hear his name and only think about that botched kick in the AFC championship. I tend to overlook that the guy was pretty much automatic anything inside 55 for the Ravens all season before that.

I think Akers is still hurting from that groin or whatever injury he had. Maybe heal him up and he will be good next year and in the meantime we can use this guy. Just hopefully we don't have to put him in position to win a game in the clutch.

I am quoting myself because I want to at least have this pointed out.

Yeah except he was pretty horrible this season with the Skins before he was cut. 7-12 including 2 misses from 30-39 yards.

Ill give him a pass. Akers was pretty horrible with the US this season as well so it can't hurt to try.

He was hitting 75% of his kicks before the Saints game (6 misses in 10 games). 61% since (7 misses in 6 games).

In the end the only thing I can really conclude is that we are in no position to put either kicker in a situation where he either makes it or we lose. Simple as that really. Last year we could lay the whole season on one kick and this season we better not cut it so close or it's a coin toss.
Just another item on the list where we can put "no room for error."

We are walking the tight rope in more ways than one...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I like what I am hearing about Cundiff. Like many others I hear his name and only think about that botched kick in the AFC championship. I tend to overlook that the guy was pretty much automatic anything inside 55 for the Ravens all season before that.

I think Akers is still hurting from that groin or whatever injury he had. Maybe heal him up and he will be good next year and in the meantime we can use this guy. Just hopefully we don't have to put him in position to win a game in the clutch.

Yeah except he was pretty horrible this season with the Skins before he was cut. 7-12 including 2 misses from 30-39 yards.

Ill give him a pass. Akers was pretty horrible with the US this season as well so it can't hurt to try.

He was hitting 75% of his kicks before the Saints game (6 misses in 10 games). 61% since (7 misses in 6 games).

In the end the only thing I can really conclude is that we are in no position to put either kicker in a situation where he either makes it or we lose. Simple as that really. Last year we could lay the whole season on one kick and this season we better not cut it so close or it's a coin toss.
Just another item on the list where we can put "no room for error."
that file is getting pretty f**king thick
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by KaepernickFan:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
But an injured Akers may be better than a healthy Cundiff.
www.rotoworld.com

David Akers (pelvis) revealed Thursday that he underwent surgery last February for a double sports hernia.

Complications from that surgery have been behind his struggles of late. Akers was shaky on the first day of his kicking competition while Billy Cundiff showed a stronger and more accurate leg. "The telling sign to me is the fact he's missing them wide left, which means he's not getting his hips through the ball," ex-49ers kicker Joe Nedney said of Akers. "He's not swinging confidently through the ball." It's premature to predict a winner here, but Cundiff appears to have the edge.

Or maybe not. If Akers pelvis doesn't dramatically get better by next week, as bad as it may sound to some of you, Cundiff would be the safer and better option.
i would be very disapointed if they let this linger into next week. make the decision tomorrow or saturday thus giving lee lots of reps with billy, if that is who they pick

Agreed. Think Harbaugh should name who's going to start at the lastest, next monday.
Originally posted by Valrod33:
Mindi Bach ‏@MBachCSN #49ers Akers FG breakdown 1/1 (1-19 yds) 8/9 (20-29 yds) 11/13 (30-39 yds) 7/13 (40-49 yds) 2/6 (50+ yds)

Ouch...just like the games
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Akers is performing realy bad. If Cundiff has any pulse, put him in.

Cundiff is 7-12 this year for 58% and has made zero FG over 50 yards.
I don't feel good about either but I am praying that Akers is feeling better in a week.

Why does Cundiff get a pass? I am not trying to make any point with that question, I am curious to know if there were any unusual circumstances that contributed to his performance for the Redskins.

About the reps with Lee...Isn't there enough time for Lee to work with both of them?
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jan 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I don't feel good about either but I am praying that Akers is feeling better in a week.
in a week??!! are you kidding me. this thing better not last another week

that is one! Amen! Hope so!! Go Akers Go.. Love you bro.. Go 49ers Go!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
its what he does now that is important. does anyone think of the 63 yard field goal right now? no,, cuz it means s**t right now

Why does Cundiff get a pass? I am not trying to make any point with that question, I am curious to know if there were any unusual circumstances that contributed to his performance for the Redskins.

He doesn't but I like him this week based on the most recent performances from both. Not saying we couldn't cherry pick a million instances from each but most recently I got to with the guy who gives us the best chance. Nobody really has earned a pass but I like the guy who isn't hiding or masking injuries and looks like he can hit kicks we need to be a gimme.

In the clutch neither has any merits but when we need the gimme..... s**t I can't really argue against Cundiff in favor of Akers at this point.

in a week??!! are you kidding me. this thing better not last another week

What is the hurry to make a decision?
He doesn't but I like him this week based on the most recent performances from both. Not saying we couldn't cherry pick a million instances from each but most recently I got to with the guy who gives us the best chance. Nobody really has earned a pass but I like the guy who isn't hiding or masking injuries and looks like he can hit kicks we need to be a gimme.

In the clutch neither has any merits but when we need the gimme..... s**t I can't really argue against Cundiff in favor of Akers at this point.

I am not sold based on how Cundiff performed this year in games.
I wish there was a third option.

wow, you have alot of people inside of you

Over/Under is 5 at the moment.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
What is the hurry to make a decision?

1. I just want this to be over and not have to deal with this on game week
2 if we do switch kickers,, i would like to have lee get as many reps with billy as possible
3 if akers is indeed hurt then its easy and quick , put him on injured reserve, take your chances with billy, hope for the best and hope akers is strong next year

that last one was tough to type with all of the "hopes" in there
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

wow, you have alot of people inside of you

Over/Under is 5 at the moment.
your multiple personalities class must be a hoot. lot of name tags to fill out
Share 49ersWebzone