There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anyone else worried about retaining the current Niners coaching staff?

Originally posted by English:
Bye Roman

With this many openings, I'm afraid I have to agree with you. Especially if Roman takes the team deep into the playoffs.

If the Niners win the Super Bowl you can say goodbye to half the coaching staff. Tomsula deserves to get a shot at DC.

But this happened routinely under Bill Walsh. The only coordinator who didn't get hired away was Seifert, and that's because DeBartolo paid him so damn well it just wasn't worth it to leave. Plus, he was going to succeed Walsh anyway, which he did, and he took us to two more Super Bowls.

But, take a look someday at the offensive coordinators who served under Bill Walsh. It was a damn revolving door. A lot of great coaches went on to a lot of great careers as head coaches, including Mike Shanahan for one. There were others. It didn't hurt us. Like Harbaugh, Walsh was the true offensive mind. He would teach coordinators the basics of the WCO, and they would up and leave after a season or two.

McKittrick stuck around as well. Probably because Eddie D. paid him so damn well. If you played well for the 49ers and Eddie D., you got paid $$$ by Eddie D. That's why so many ex-coaches and players still love the guy.
The Niners lost OC Holmgren after the '89 season and OC Shanahan after the '94 season.
On the one hand I don't wanna give the NFL any of our coaches. But I know with success other teams will seek to mimic your success. And that means raids on our coaching staff, so we as fans had better get use to this (see the Pats). A list of important assistants I think might leave for higher positions:

Brad Seely, Asst. head Coach/ST
*I think it's 60-40 that he's plucked for a HC job.

Greg Roman, OC
*I think it's a near certainty that he's gone. But unlike many I don't think it's gonna hurt us that much given that we have an offensive-minded HC.

Vick Fangio, DC
*80-20 that he stays. Call me optimistic But Fangio strikes me like a Jim Johnson or Monte Kiffin-type who were satisfied at being the best DC in the game. But I wouldn't be surprised if an owner shot a boatload of money at him.

Geep Chryst, QB Coach
*70-30 that he stays. Wouldn't be at all shocked if he were plucked for an OC job, especially by Roman if he's tapped for a HC job.

Ed Donatell, Secondary
*60-40 that he's gone. I just get the feeling it's time for him.

Jim Leavitt, LB's
*50-50. He's coaching the best LB corps in football and was very successful at building a great program literally from nothing as a HC. I don't think it's far-fetched to think a team could see him as a DC.

Jim Tomsula, D-line
*30-70 that he's gone. I think he stays. But I wouldn't be shocked to see teams interview him for a DC or HC job. I think he'd entertain them too. Players respect and respond to him.

Everyone else on our staff I think are safe bets to stay. Of that group I think Roman and Donatell will probably get plucked, Roman for sure. I just don't get the feeling that Fangio really has the appetite to be a HC, but I wouldn't be shocked if he were convinced to go though. He's been with JH for a while. He could have left for a HC job a long time ago if he wanted. Fans should keep in mind that we're not the only team with an excellent staff. Plus, I think JH will promote from within. Let us not forget that JH was tutored by the greatest – Bill Walsh. And not only did Walsh develop players, he was a master at developing coaches as well. Lets take a tally:

Mike Holmgren, George Seifert, Paul Hackett, Jim Fassel, Dennis Green. And from them we got Mike Shanahan, Jeff Fisher, Brian Billick, Jon Gruden, Mike McCarthy, Steve Mariucci, Andy Reid, and a list of others, respectively.

I think we are gonna be just fine because if we lose assistants we have the right man at the helm – Jim Harbaugh – who will groom coaches to move up and fill vacated spots just like he grooms players. I suspect that as the years go by we are gonna see a line of very good coaches, once again, being spawned from the tutelage of a 49ers HC. I think that we do have guys well placed on staff fully capable of stepping up into vacated spots.

We're good
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jan 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM ]
Ahhh... the Harbaugh coaching tree begins...great to have a coach capable of turning out good coaches
Maybe we should look for a good WR coach. 49ers aren't very successful at finding and developing wideouts.
Brad Seely for a HC job?
Originally posted by billbird2111:
With this many openings, I'm afraid I have to agree with you. Especially if Roman takes the team deep into the playoffs.

If the Niners win the Super Bowl you can say goodbye to half the coaching staff. Tomsula deserves to get a shot at DC.

But this happened routinely under Bill Walsh. The only coordinator who didn't get hired away was Seifert, and that's because DeBartolo paid him so damn well it just wasn't worth it to leave. Plus, he was going to succeed Walsh anyway, which he did, and he took us to two more Super Bowls.

But, take a look someday at the offensive coordinators who served under Bill Walsh. It was a damn revolving door. A lot of great coaches went on to a lot of great careers as head coaches, including Mike Shanahan for one. There were others. It didn't hurt us. Like Harbaugh, Walsh was the true offensive mind. He would teach coordinators the basics of the WCO, and they would up and leave after a season or two.

McKittrick stuck around as well. Probably because Eddie D. paid him so damn well. If you played well for the 49ers and Eddie D., you got paid $$$ by Eddie D. That's why so many ex-coaches and players still love the guy.

This is why, they hired an offensive mind like Harbaugh as the Head Coach. You typically lose your offensive coordinator when you have success. I never want to see a niner head coach that is defensive minded, again. Defensive Coordinators are easier to replace.
Originally posted by Sourball:
Maybe we should look for a good WR coach. 49ers aren't very successful at finding and developing wideouts.
I disagree. Johnny Morton is an excellent position coach who was with JH at the U of San Diego. Give this some time.
C-Ya thanks for the memories.
Some have mentioned Norv Turner as a possible replacement for Greg Roman. I am not a fan. I am absolutely puzzled about the support for him. He came to fame coaching some of the best offensive talent ever assembled on one team in Dallas. His scheme fit the skill sets of the players there at the time but he has never duplicated that success for any extended period of time. In the meantime, the league has fully caught up to his digital system and vertical components. Hence I would much rather have someone who can fully implement a WCO system with the specific talents of this team. I don't see Turner having demonstrated the ability to do that.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
On the one hand I don't wanna give the NFL any of our coaches. But I know with success other teams will seek to mimic your success. And that means raids on our coaching staff, so we as fans had better get use to this (see the Pats). A list of important assistants I think might leave for higher positions:

Brad Seely, Asst. head Coach/ST
*I think it's 60-40 that he's plucked for a HC job.

Greg Roman, OC
*I think it's a near certainty that he's gone. But unlike many I don't think it's gonna hurt us that much given that we have an offensive-minded HC.

Vick Fangio, DC
*80-20 that he stays. Call me optimistic But Fangio strikes me like a Jim Johnson or Monte Kiffin-type who were satisfied at being the best DC in the game. But I wouldn't be surprised if an owner shot a boatload of money at him.

Geep Chryst, QB Coach
*70-30 that he stays. Wouldn't be at all shocked if he were plucked for an OC job, especially by Roman if he's tapped for a HC job.

Ed Donatell, Secondary
*60-40 that he's gone. I just get the feeling it's time for him.

Jim Leavitt, LB's
*50-50. He's coaching the best LB corps in football and was very successful at building a great program literally from nothing as a HC. I don't think it's far-fetched to think a team could see him as a DC.

Jim Tomsula, D-line
*30-70 that he's gone. I think he stays. But I wouldn't be shocked to see teams interview him for a DC or HC job. I think he'd entertain them too. Players respect and respond to him.

Everyone else on our staff I think are safe bets to stay. Of that group I think Roman and Donatell will probably get plucked, Roman for sure. I just don't get the feeling that Fangio really has the appetite to be a HC, but I wouldn't be shocked if he were convinced to go though. He's been with JH for a while. He could have left for a HC job a long time ago if he wanted. Fans should keep in mind that we're not the only team with an excellent staff. Plus, I think JH will promote from within. Let us not forget that JH was tutored by the greatest – Bill Walsh. And not only did Walsh develop players, he was a master at developing coaches as well. Lets take a tally:

Mike Holmgren, George Seifert, Paul Hackett, Jim Fassel, Dennis Green. And from them we got Mike Shanahan, Jeff Fisher, Brian Billick, Jon Gruden, Mike McCarthy, Steve Mariucci, Andy Reid, and a list of others, respectively.

I think we are gonna be just fine because if we lose assistants we have the right man at the helm – Jim Harbaugh – who will groom coaches to move up and fill vacated spots just like he grooms players. I suspect that as the years go by we are gonna see a line of very good coaches, once again, being spawned from the tutelage of a 49ers HC. I think that we do have guys well placed on staff fully capable of stepping up into vacated spots.

We're good

The only ones the 49ers HAVE to allow to be interviewed are those going for head coaching positions. All this talk about guys going for a DC or OC position is just pointless speculation at this point.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
As much as I'd love to see Trestman or Turner as the 49ers OC once roman leave, I believe our OC will be Geep Cryst, I just don't think Harb is going out of his coaching tree to find a replacement.

Probably agree. Why hire a guy externally when you can promote a guy within and still keep your offensive playbook intact.

Norv will want to run his system, not harbaughs. He will end up as an OC for a defensive oriented head coach.
Roman can go but everyone else i want to stay. I think one of harbaugh's true talents are to hiring BRILLIANT coaches. Every single coaching hire i totally agreed with....well, except for Roman. I wanted Shaw but I understood why he picked roman. The team's talent is running the ball, not so much passing.
btw, i don't fangio isn't going anywhere. I don't think he wants to be a head coach. Plus, isn't he hella old?
I don't think we lose that many coaches. Why. 7 openings right now and I believe Lovie Smith, Holmgren, Wisenhunt all get HC jobs also think maybe Gruden and Chip Kelly get jobs. That would leave 2 as of now and I think Roman and The OC from Denver or one of the Atlanta coaches get one. My thought is we lose Roman to a HC job and maybe Leavitt or Tomsula move on to DC jobs. I think replacing Roman will not be that big of a problem maybe in house with Chryst moving to OC and Chris Ault becoming QB coach. Harbaugh and Balke do not have to let any of the assistants leave unless it is for a HC job but I believe they would let them interview for OC or DC jobs if one was offered.