There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anyone else worried about retaining the current Niners coaching staff?

Next Man Up!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
If roman goes, im firmly in the Norv Turner camp.

I know the wories about differantsystem and terminology, but personally i think Norvs offense combined with harbaughs in some sort of hybrid fashion would be a match made in heaven, and we would have him as long as e ant him since he is never going to be a HC again.

I think it would be a perfect match, Norv LOVES the running game, and likes using it to setup longer passes down the field. He's quite competent in calling both running and passing plays.

On the downside, Cowboys are supposedly looking for an OC so as long as Norv doesn't mind working for one of his former QB's, I really can't see him going anywhere else, especially with the time it might take Roman to get hired somewhere.

He is a great OC. And i agree his run schemes would be perfect for the gore/hunter combo. He also has experiance with guys like LMJ and knows how to get the most out of the run game. He also has a much better, and more "professional" passing scheme than what we have seen under roman.
Originally posted by titan:
^No Norv he bailed before, so he can't comeback.

I don't care if he dropped a deuce on Jed York's doorstep, he's always had a terrific offensive mind and has been a good coordinator.

Its also not like he isaint a student of the game. He has been around alot to where im sure it wouldnt be a problem finding some sort of mesh between harbaughs offense, and the coryell/digit system. Him and harbaugh would make it work.
Its also not like he isaint a student of the game. He has been around alot to where im sure it wouldnt be a problem finding some sort of mesh between harbaughs offense, and the coryell/digit system. Him and harbaugh would make it work.

Here's another shot out of a cannon. Marc Trestman. Harbaugh knows him, he was the QB Coach while Trestman was OC with the Raiders when Gannon went HAM and he was in the running as a potential OC before Roman was selected. He's an excellent coach and a terrific offensive mind. I remember him getting booted out as OC of the 49ers after a year where they had the #1 offense and he got the full brunt of the blame for the team having crappy running backs. His playcalling against the Cowboys was particularly poignant, with Young out, Grbac starting andthe 49ers having injuries all over the offensive line, the 49ers still took out the eventual NFL Champions in their own backyard thanks to a combination of hard-hitting defense and timely offense.

If you look back and see how many quarterbacks had career years under Trestman, either as OC or QB coach, it is pretty mind-blowing, he help even Scott Mitchell look like a top NFL quarterback. Jake Plummer had his best season under the tutelage of Trestman, a former quarterback himself. Somebody needs to rescue him from Canada, and that somebody is Jim Harbaugh. :P

If Roman leaves, bring in Trestman as offensive coordinator, hire Ault as a consultant, have them work together to merge Trestman's style of WCO with Ault's pistol offense.......and then +??????? =profit.

Also, check this out.

Not that many years ago, Wilson would been considered to play quarterback in the NFL.

"He's the kind of guy who would have been available to the CFL," said Jim Popp, general manager of the Montreal Alouettes.

When Popp hired Trestman in 2008, the new coach had a request: "Can you get Russell Wilson?"

Popp did the best he could. He made a deal with the Saskatchewan Roughriders for an exchange of players on the unpublished CFL negotiation list. The Alouettes traded Terrelle Pryor's rights (then Ohio State, now Oakland Raiders) to the Riders for the rights to Wilson. They believed he was the perfect candidate to succeed Anthony Calvillo at quarterback.

"But as his stock grew, I knew that wasn't going to be possible," said Popp.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 31, 2012 at 2:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Ballistic:
Greg Knapp as OC = zone read w/ Gore

KUKUKU
The same Greg Knapp who's been a garbage coordinator more often than not and just got s**t-canned by the Raiders after their offensive stats went down in every single measurable way? No thanks.
obvi a joke

relax preppy

Here's another shot out of a cannon. Marc Trestman. Harbaugh knows him, he was the QB Coach while Trestman was OC with the Raiders when Gannon went HAM and he was in the running as a potential OC before Roman was selected. He's an excellent coach and a terrific offensive mind. I remember him getting booted out as OC of the 49ers after a year where they had the #1 offense and he got the full brunt of the blame for the team having crappy running backs. His playcalling against the Cowboys was particularly poignant, with Young out, Grbac starting andthe 49ers having injuries all over the offensive line, the 49ers still took out the eventual NFL Champions in their own backyard thanks to a combination of hard-hitting defense and timely offense.

If you look back and see how many quarterbacks had career years under Trestman, either as OC or QB coach, it is pretty mind-blowing, he help even Scott Mitchell look like a top NFL quarterback. Jake Plummer had his best season under the tutelage of Trestman, a former quarterback himself. Somebody needs to rescue him from Canada, and that somebody is Jim Harbaugh. :P

If Roman leaves, bring in Trestman as offensive coordinator, hire Ault as a consultant, have them work together to merge Trestman's style of WCO with Ault's pistol offense.......and then +??????? =profit.

Also, check this out.

Not that many years ago, Wilson would been considered to play quarterback in the NFL.

"He's the kind of guy who would have been available to the CFL," said Jim Popp, general manager of the Montreal Alouettes.

When Popp hired Trestman in 2008, the new coach had a request: "Can you get Russell Wilson?"

Popp did the best he could. He made a deal with the Saskatchewan Roughriders for an exchange of players on the unpublished CFL negotiation list. The Alouettes traded Terrelle Pryor's rights (then Ohio State, now Oakland Raiders) to the Riders for the rights to Wilson. They believed he was the perfect candidate to succeed Anthony Calvillo at quarterback.

"But as his stock grew, I knew that wasn't going to be possible," said Popp.

Im personally not a fan of Ault or the pistol. do not want that for the 49ers.

But Trestman is an interesting thought. He has been in the CFL for awhile now correct? how has be been over there? I think like two grey cups, and lost another? i remember i think it was back in 2009 there as some hype about him coming back to the NFL but it never materialized.

That could be an interesting idea. I didnt know he and harbaugh had worked together.
As long as Fangio does'nt go but with success comes loss
Roman can kick rocks. Fangio's too old to want a HC job IMO. I would be worried about losing someone like Tomsula or Leavitt. Seely... Meh our ST was s**t this year
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Roman can kick rocks. Fangio's too old to want a HC job IMO. I would be worried about losing someone like Tomsula or Leavitt. Seely... Meh our ST was s**t this year

Yea i love tomsula. I dont ever want to lose that guy. He adds so much passion and intensity to the defense coaching staff.

Yea i love tomsula. I dont ever want to lose that guy. He adds so much passion and intensity to the defense coaching staff.

He is the man. I don't think he would want a HC job as he said he was in over his head when he was interim HC at the end of 2010. But I could see him trying as a DC

But Trestman is an interesting thought. He has been in the CFL for awhile now correct? how has be been over there? I think like two grey cups, and lost another? i remember i think it was back in 2009 there as some hype about him coming back to the NFL but it never materialized.

That could be an interesting idea. I didnt know he and harbaugh had worked together.

Harbaugh looked at him as an OC when he was hired and last offseason the Colts looked at him as either a potential head coach or an offensive coordinator. At one point in time, Bill Walsh referred to Trestman as his "brightest student."

He and Harbaugh were together with the Raiders in 2002 and 2003, with Harbaugh as the QB coach and Trestman as the offensive coordinator. In 2002, the Raiders offense was 2nd in the NFL and Rich Gannon threw for 4700 yards. In 2003, injuries decimated their team, they ended up with Rick Mirer as their starting QB and everyone basically got fired.
Meh, I"ll personally worry about it after we win the SB.

He is the man. I don't think he would want a HC job as he said he was in over his head when he was interim HC at the end of 2010. But I could see him trying as a DC

yea, Thats my worry as well, thats why i thre out the idea, that if Fangio were hired elsewhere, which is doubtfull, that we atleast consider Tomsula to replace him. He has been in the 3-4 for ahile, and worked with several differant cordinators, and his passion is undeniable.

Harbaugh looked at him as an OC when he was hired and last offseason the Colts looked at him as either a potential head coach or an offensive coordinator. At one point in time, Bill Walsh referred to Trestman as his "brightest student."

He and Harbaugh were together with the Raiders in 2002 and 2003, with Harbaugh as the QB coach and Trestman as the offensive coordinator. In 2002, the Raiders offense was 2nd in the NFL and Rich Gannon threw for 4700 yards. In 2003, injuries decimated their team, they ended up with Rick Mirer as their starting QB and everyone basically got fired.

Yea, really good thought. I could get behind that. what kind f offense has he been running in the CFL? more of a pure WCO? I would love to bring a more pure style of WCO back to the niners, but i havent been sold on any of the WCO coordinator options out there. Trestman deffinately is intrigueing.
Originally posted by kray28:
There are a lot of coaches getting fired...and a bunch of them are quality coordinator material.

I'd like to keep Fangio and Seely...both of whom have done well for the most part, but want Roman gone.

Hopefully, we can pick up Norv as our new OC.

Pat Shurmur, WCO, good with young quarterbacks,

Wouldn't be upset with Norv, whichever team ends up with him is getting an OC for a long long time as Norv is never getting another head coaching job.

Yeah, this was the guy I was harping for earlier in the season cause I knew that new owner of the Browns would liquidate Holmgren & Co. at the end of the year. -Brilliant offensive mind, when he was in St. Louis Sam Bradford had an amazing rookie year, and their offense was smart. -I want this guy bad, perfect fit for our system.

I think Roman will the be the only coordinator loss (Fangio & Seely are 'career coordinator' type of guys), ship Roman with Smith to another team in a packaged deal, lol.