LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 202 users in the forums

If no SB, Is this Season considered a Bust!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If no SB, Is this Season considered a Bust!

Yes only because gore and J smith aren't getting any younger
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
For every team like new england there are 20+ other teams that hang around and then eventually fade, so I'm not going to expect we're guaranteed the same longevity of success. That, and I don't see how I'm being a pessimist when you're saying last year was luck and are discrediting the team's success. If you didn't think it was SB or bust going into 2012, then I'd say you were being pessimistic.

I thought last year was lucky. I was far from the only one. Many people openly questioned the 49ers chances considering all the stuff that went right for them last year. I never felt that this team wouldn't be a playoff team, but I felt and still feel that this team will get as far as the quality of offense allows it to go. Without a solid and reliable offense, its hard to say that this team is "Superbowl or Bust."

Sure there have been some cosmetic changes, and yes this team has been able to beat up on bad teams at times, but when it comes down to it, it still struggles when it matters most, this offense has a hard time getting it done against better teams.

Right now, as much as I hate to admit, Seattle is more of a Superbowl contender than the 49ers are. They have the defense and the running game, but additionally, their offense is able to consistently move the ball, plays in a rhythm, and is able to carry the team when the defense underperforms. Until the 49ers can say the same about their offense, I won't be all to disappointed if they don't win it all.

And who were these "many people," ESPN analysts? Right now I don't expect us to win either, due to what's happened because of injuries and the QB change (yes I think it was a terrible move and has derailed us), but the question is the season a bust if we don't win the SB? I'd say yes, because those were the expectations the team, the franchise, and the majority of fans had going into 2012. I don't personally know any niner fan that didn't think this team had what it took to win it all at the start of this year.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
This. We were so lucky last year that some truly believed that the historical turnover ratio, D and special teams would be sustainable. We were at the bottom in pass yards, pass TD's , 3rd down conversion and red zone efficiency yet some thought we were locks for a super bowl. Ridiculous.

So many things went right for us last year.

A lot of folks started drinking the Kool-Aid a bit too early unfortunately. Early on in the season I saw that in spite of the added personnel, this offense was more or less the same and wasn't going to get it done without insane performances by defense and special teams.

Until the offense gets to the level where it can carry this team when the defense is struggling, I don't expect much to change.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM ]
Even before the QB change, playing against teams like Seattle, the Giants and Minnesota, did this look like a championship offense to anyone????

Nope. I never believed that our anemic offense would ever get us to a super bowl. We over achieved last year.
Nope. I never believed that our anemic offense would ever get us to a super bowl. We over achieved last year.

Quite an understatement. Last year they almost felt like a team of destiny, like it was just supposed to happen, that they were supposed to win big. This year a lot of that magic is gone, they feel just like another team, one with an especially mediocre offense.
What if we made the Super Bowl but lose

Still a bust season?
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
What if we made the Super Bowl but lose

Still a bust season?

I think I'd be even more upset at seeing this franchise's undefeated streak go. I would be butt-hurt about that game for a long long time, it would pretty much f**k up my spring and summer.

The only way the conclusion to last year's season could have been worse is if they HAD won, gotten to the Superbowl, and ended up getting rocked by the Patriots. I'd feel like a Bills fan, it would be terribly, my Wilson's would have been terribly Rustled.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by susweel:
Im hoping and wishing he can but I can't say the season is a disappointment if we dont. Smith and Kap aint got nothing to do with this topic IMO.

I honestly think last year was our best chance because we came out of no where and everything was lined up as far injuries and home field advantage. Thats why I will forever hate Kyle Williams because he cost us #6.

Smith and Kap have nothing to do with this topic? Our starting QB has nothing to do with winning a Superbowl? I think I'm reading that wrong..

We are supposed to be better this year. After adding the extra weapons. Of course, Kap can play well and we can still lose in the playoffs because it's a team game. But, Harbs has put a lot of pressure on the kid. If he struggles, has a Seattle type game, he will get lambasted. If he doesn't come through and play well in the playoffs niner fans have the right to be pissed and raid Santa Clara and Turlock.

the last sentence made me lol

Quite an understatement. Last year they almost felt like a team of destiny, like it was just supposed to happen, that they were supposed to win big. This year a lot of that magic is gone, they feel just like another team, one with an especially mediocre offense.

Our offense was worse last year.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Not by much. BRB 29th ranked passing game becoming 25th ranked passing game. Or do you honestly feel that this offense has improved so much as to make up for the drop-off's in defensive performance, special teams and turnovers? I don't.

The injury bug bit in a critical portion of the schedule, and it probably means a short run in the Playoffs. (My regular preseason prediction on who will win the SB - The "good" team that has the fewest injuries come playoff time.)

I'm mixed on the question though - I guess it's good to get Kaep some experience if that's definitely the direction that the Coaches want to go in, but the Window is closing fact. Injuries get tougher and tougher to recover from as you approach the end of your career.

SB would obviously be nice, but it sure is nice after all of the down years to be a team that is perceived as a consistant playoff contender. It used to be soooooo painful to watch this team. At least now there is the belief that we can win virtually any game when the starters are healthy.
Right but the problem is just about everything else got worse. The offense didn't improve enough to compensate for that.
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on Dec 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM ]

Not by much. BRB 29th ranked passing game becoming 25th ranked passing game. Or do you honestly feel that this offense has improved so much as to make up for the drop-off's in defensive performance, special teams and turnovers? I don't.

we were god awful on 3rd downs last year, and our FG kicker was our MVP.

There were more games last year where we scored less than 21 points.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
The injury bug bit in a critical portion of the schedule, and it probably means a short run in the Playoffs. (My regular preseason prediction on who will win the SB - The "good" team that has the fewest injuries come playoff time.)

I'm mixed on the question though - I guess it's good to get Kaep some experience if that's definitely the direction that the Coaches want to go in, but the Window is closing fact. Injuries get tougher and tougher to recover from as you approach the end of your career.

SB would obviously be nice, but it sure is nice after all of the down years to be a team that is perceived as a consistant playoff contender. It used to be soooooo painful to watch this team. At least now there is the belief that we can win virtually any game when the starters are healthy.

What is all this talk about "windows closing." This team is relatively young, they do need to find replacements for some aging players, but the structure that is being built is fantastic, this organization seems to be setting up for a bright future. This isn't a case where this team is going back to the Erickson era. I have full faith in Baalke and Harbaugh to keep this team competiting, year in and year out and making the necessary personnel moves to eventually bring more Superbowl victories to this franchise.
Right but the problem is just about everything else got worse. The offense didn't improve enough to compensate for that.

I think that is where the move to Kaep comes into place. Hasnt exactly changed much doe
Share 49ersWebzone