LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 220 users in the forums

If no SB, Is this Season considered a Bust!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If no SB, Is this Season considered a Bust!

Originally posted by blunt_probe:
It's not wrong, because that's what it it is. All teams have flaws, so I'm not buying that excuse. You have a finite window to win the big one in this league, and ours started last year.

Says who? New England's had a window for about a decade and it isn't closing anytime soon. Teams like the Ravens and Steelers have consistently competed at a high level for a longtime. Its more of an organizational issue than anything else, stop being such a pessimist.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
yes, you gotta be kidding yourself if you didnt think we were STRONG super bowl contenders when the season began. now with a number of factors weighing against that (injuries, poor decision at the qb position) it is not looking as strong but it is still a BUST if we do not win the superbowl.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's not wrong, because that's what it it is. All teams have flaws, so I'm not buying that excuse. You have a finite window to win the big one in this league, and ours started last year.

Says who? New England's had a window for about a decade and it isn't closing anytime soon. Teams like the Ravens and Steelers have consistently competed at a high level for a longtime. Its more of an organizational issue than anything else, stop being such a pessimist.

as well as the Giants, Saints, and team Peyton is on, and the recent Packers
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Harbozo...how long did it take for you to come up with that one?

Really,,,this Thorhawk guy spells like a Seattle fan,,go away if so

For every team like new england there are 20+ other teams that hang around and then eventually fade, so I'm not going to expect we're guaranteed the same longevity of success. That, and I don't see how I'm being a pessimist when you're saying last year was luck and are discrediting the team's success. If you didn't think it was SB or bust going into 2012, then I'd say you were being pessimistic.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Dec 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM ]
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan52:

persinal attak
should of ask this question after 1st playoff game
We have won 1 playoff game in a decade yet some are saying supper bowl or bust. I simply don't get it. Funny thing about the playoff win is we needed 5 turnovers at home against a poor defensive team that got destroyed in the 1st round the year before by the 7-9 Seahawks. Add the lack of injuries, short off season for defenses, ridiculous turnover ratio amazing special teams last year I don't get how a super bowl is expected.
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on Dec 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Im hoping and wishing he can but I can't say the season is a disappointment if we dont. Smith and Kap aint got nothing to do with this topic IMO.

I honestly think last year was our best chance because we came out of no where and everything was lined up as far injuries and home field advantage. Thats why I will forever hate Kyle Williams because he cost us #6.

Smith and Kap have nothing to do with this topic? Our starting QB has nothing to do with winning a Superbowl? I think I'm reading that wrong..

We are supposed to be better this year. After adding the extra weapons. Of course, Kap can play well and we can still lose in the playoffs because it's a team game. But, Harbs has put a lot of pressure on the kid. If he struggles, has a Seattle type game, he will get lambasted. If he doesn't come through and play well in the playoffs niner fans have the right to be pissed and raid Santa Clara and Turlock.
For every team like new england there are 20+ other teams that hang around and then eventually fade, so I'm not going to expect we're guaranteed the same longevity of success. That, and I don't see how I'm being a pessimist when you're saying last year was luck and are discrediting the team's success. If you didn't think it was SB or bust going into 2012, then I'd say you were being pessimistic.

I thought last year was lucky. I was far from the only one. Many people openly questioned the 49ers chances considering all the stuff that went right for them last year. I never felt that this team wouldn't be a playoff team, but I felt and still feel that this team will get as far as the quality of offense allows it to go. Without a solid and reliable offense, its hard to say that this team is "Superbowl or Bust."

Sure there have been some cosmetic changes, and yes this team has been able to beat up on bad teams at times, but when it comes down to it, it still struggles when it matters most, this offense has a hard time getting it done against better teams.

Right now, as much as I hate to admit, Seattle is more of a Superbowl contender than the 49ers are. They have the defense and the running game, but additionally, their offense is able to consistently move the ball, plays in a rhythm, and is able to carry the team when the defense underperforms. Until the 49ers can say the same about their offense, I won't be all to disappointed if they don't win it all.

Originally posted by Tman:
yes, you gotta be kidding yourself if you didnt think we were STRONG super bowl contenders when the season began. now with a number of factors weighing against that (injuries, poor decision at the qb position) it is not looking as strong but it is still a BUST if we do not win the superbowl.

So the qb change above the d being worse, turnover ratio and poor special teams as to why SB expectations aren't looking as strong?
Originally posted by ninerfan52:

Originally posted by sacniner:
Smith and Kap have nothing to do with this topic? Our starting QB has nothing to do with winning a Superbowl? I think I'm reading that wrong..

We are supposed to be better this year. After adding the extra weapons. Of course, Kap can play well and we can still lose in the playoffs because it's a team game. But, Harbs has put a lot of pressure on the kid. If he struggles, has a Seattle type game, he will get lambasted. If he doesn't come through and play well in the playoffs niner fans have the right to be pissed and raid Santa Clara and Turlock.

How do you figure? This is still basically the same offense from last year with more window dressing. At this point, I'm convinced its just a failure of playcalling, lack of execution by players and a lack of an overall sense of direction on offense. This offense still can't be depended on to take over games or to bail out the defense when needed.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
So the qb change above the d being worse, turnover ratio and poor special teams as to why SB expectations aren't looking as strong?

Even before the QB change, playing against teams like Seattle, the Giants and Minnesota, did this look like a championship offense to anyone???? It continues to be this team's biggest weakness overall. A tremendous lack of consistency and ability to move the ball down the field regularly when needed. I don't profess to know what the solution is, but you have to go back to Tampa Bay and Baltimore to find SB winning offenses that were as mediocre as the 49ers is currently. All the recent Superbowl winners were teams that could put up points in bunches when needed, basically at will. Their offenses were a net positive, the 49ers offense is still a handicap.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM ]
I thought last year was lucky. I was far from the only one. Many people openly questioned the 49ers chances considering all the stuff that went right for them last year. I never felt that this team wouldn't be a playoff team, but I felt and still feel that this team will get as far as the quality of offense allows it to go. Without a solid and reliable offense, its hard to say that this team is "Superbowl or Bust."

Sure there have been some cosmetic changes, and yes this team has been able to beat up on bad teams at times, but when it comes down to it, it still struggles when it matters most, this offense has a hard time getting it done against better teams.

Right now, as much as I hate to admit, Seattle is more of a Superbowl contender than the 49ers are. They have the defense and the running game, but additionally, their offense is able to consistently move the ball, plays in a rhythm, and is able to carry the team when the defense underperforms. Until the 49ers can say the same about their offense, I won't be all to disappointed if they don't win it all.
This. We were so lucky last year that some truly believed that the historical turnover ratio, D and special teams would be sustainable. We were at the bottom in pass yards, pass TD's , 3rd down conversion and red zone efficiency yet some thought we were locks for a super bowl. Ridiculous.

So many things went right for us last year.
Share 49ersWebzone