LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 309 users in the forums

If no SB, Is this Season considered a Bust!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If no SB, Is this Season considered a Bust!

Busto!
Originally posted by susweel:
No

After 8 years of losing I have changed my opinion on what a successful season is. A winning record and making it to the playoffs is now a successful season for me. A super bowl win is a cherry on top that only one team can claim.

Only losers get "used" to losing... Good for you, now you don't have to be so disappointed.
I wouldn't consider this season a bust if we don't make it. The key is keeping the defense healthy and together along with building more depth throughout. We have have a young QB who has already experienced success getting 4 wins possibly 5 with a division title going forward along with a strong HC. So I see us in the running for years to come.

I'm Looking forward to enjoying the playoffs game at the Stick this year and at Santa Clara in the future!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
No

After 8 years of losing I have changed my opinion on what a successful season is. A winning record and making it to the playoffs is now a successful season for me. A super bowl win is a cherry on top that only one team can claim.

Only losers get "used" to losing... Good for you, now you don't have to be so disappointed.

lol what ?
Absolutely. Coming from within two snaps of a Super Bowl last season, and the rarity of such a highly ranked defense returning with all of its starters. Plus the acquisition of new pieces on offense.

With Justin Smith out and the track this coaching staff is on, combined with the emergence of the Seahawks and Rams, this might be the last honest chance we have for awhile.
Every season will be a bust as long as Roman is the OC and as long as Harbaugh believes that a college offense is going to get #6. The fact that Gore has admitted that he is still adjusting to the new offense this late in the season makes me realize that Harbaugh is not as good as most think. I may have to start using the Harbozo moniker that wysiwyg created.
Originally posted by sacniner:
No

You gotta be kidding me. You know what the next question is... when did you change your opinion? When a certain guy you hate was replaced?

This year is Superbowl or bust. Everyone knows it.

There's a reason why Moss came out of retirement, so this year is definitely Superbowl or BUST, regardless of which QB is at the helm!
Originally posted by Loco49er:
Every season will be a bust as long as Roman is the OC and as long as Harbaugh believes that a college offense is going to get #6. The fact that Gore has admitted that he is still adjusting to the new offense this late in the season makes me realize that Harbaugh is not as good as most think. I may have to start using the Harbozo moniker that wysiwyg created.

Washington's using the pistol offense more than anyone else and they have one of the most efficient offenses in the football. The difference(beyond RG3).....the people calling the plays in Washington know what the hell they are doing. They've blended the pistol with the WCO and zone-blocking schemes to create something truly impressive. As far as I'm concerned, Roman is throwing spaghetti at the wall with his eyes closed and hoping something sticks. He might have some good ideas offensively, but he is not a good playcaller.

Basically, to use a analogy, he understands the history of chess and all the different types of opening and finishing moves that can be utilized, however when he sits down at the table to play, he inevitably gets wiped out by anyone who is equal to him in terms of experience/knowledge because he doesn't know how to apply all that knowledge in the appropriate and advantageous manner.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM ]
No

same, after 10 years of not being relevant I am really enjoying last season and this season
Total bust if we dont make it to the bowl.

How can anyone really come in here and say otherwise? We were a couple of special teams mistakes away last year and then:

We added Moss, Manningham and AJ to bolster our weakest group.

Added a playmaker in James.

Kept all our D!

Had a whole offseason with the coachs. I think alot of people forget that it was Alex that was our coach last offseason and was a huge factor in us getting to the point were we could run the WCO. But with that whole year of playing and then an offseason, I fully expected us to be better on O for just that reason alone!

All the above should equal SB for this team. And we all know that Jim thinks so cause he put the last piece of the puzzle in place halfway thru the season. No other way to look at Jim's qb switch. You don't make that move with a qb playing as well as Alex if you don't think the other guy gets you there.

I won't blame Kap if we falter, I will blame Jim. Should have waited till next year for Kap to win the job in the offseason. Would have given Kap more cred IMO and not put as much pressure on him to win it with only having half a year to play before the playoffs. Just not well thought out.

Originally posted by rk1642:
Total bust if we dont make it to the bowl.

How can anyone really come in here and say otherwise? We were a couple of special teams mistakes away last year and then:

We added Moss, Manningham and AJ to bolster our weakest group.

Added a playmaker in James.

Kept all our D!

Had a whole offseason with the coachs. I think alot of people forget that it was Alex that was our coach last offseason and was a huge factor in us getting to the point were we could run the WCO. But with that whole year of playing and then an offseason, I fully expected us to be better on O for just that reason alone!

All the above should equal SB for this team. And we all know that Jim thinks so cause he put the last piece of the puzzle in place halfway thru the season. No other way to look at Jim's qb switch. You don't make that move with a qb playing as well as Alex if you don't think the other guy gets you there.

I won't blame Kap if we falter, I will blame Jim. Should have waited till next year for Kap to win the job in the offseason. Would have given Kap more cred IMO and not put as much pressure on him to win it with only having half a year to play before the playoffs. Just not well thought out.

Once again, I just find this thought that "we were a few special teams plays away" pretty asinine. Why aren't you talking about the turnover differential, the regression of special teams, the defense not performing nearly to the same level as it was last year. That putting up 100 yards rushing on this defense isn't half as difficult as it was last season. Simply put, this team just isn't as good, they've declined in some area's and the offensive improvement has basically been minimal. This is not a better team than last year. Statististically, it was nearly impossible for the defense to come out and put up the same numbers again as they did last season and the offense didn't take the big step forward that people were expecting, not with Alex, not with Kaepernick.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Yes.

Harbozo will have turned a super bowl contender into a wild card with his shenanigans

great post

great opinion, after two winning seasons....
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
HELL YES!!! We were the favorites going in, we had it etched in stone...just kidding. But we were clearly the best team in football. Now, not so much.

Clearly the best team in football....okay...........

People got their expectations way out of whack, just because they made it to the NFC Championship after having a historic season, a defense that was one of the all-time best, a top special teams unit, a tremendous advantage in turnovers and a relatively easy schedule to get there. Automatically people began assuming that this team would improve on last year's incredible run when all the statistics and basic football history indicated the opposite. There was literally NO way all the chips were going to fall for them the same way as they did last year, the crazy turnover differential wouldn't remain the same and the schedule got a lot tougher.

Last year's team was special and incredibly unique that literally almost everything seemed to go right for them. Seattle seems to be rolling with that mojo this year. The 49ers are a very good team, up there among the league's best teams, but its still a team with some real weaknesses, one of the main ones being a lack of depth on defense, so the effects of every injury are that much more amplified.

There are absolutely no guarantees, obviously you want to win the Superbowl every single season, but if they don't, I'm not going to get emo and start cutting myself or anything. Looking at the big picture, this organization is developing towards a model of a consistently contending team, one that will legimately compete for the Superbowl year in and year out. After almost a decade of "suck", I'm pretty pleased with that and looking forward to the future.

Great Post. I'm absolutely amazed at how quickly we lose perspective. We had a decade of absolutely miserable teams. Hard to watch stuff. Harbaugh has us in the playoffs his first two years. How often does that happen. I personally feel grateful beyond belief that we have the coaching staff, management and ownership we have. Are they perfect? Of course not..who is.

It seems we attempt to put everything in terms of the great run of the Walsh years and anything less is a fail. Pretty unrealistic considering the parity in the NFL these days due to salary cap, etc. Personally, if this team can be in the playoffs every year and then hit the right year here and there when everything lines up and we win the Superbowl I would feel very happy and that we have a successful franchise.
Preseason prognosticators, and computer projections all had us hovering around .500 and not making the play offs, so I'm pretty stocked! We are back and will be in the hunt every year for some time, even with all the injuries we are in the hunt, all I can ask for. I do feel bad for Frank and the Cowboy, as their window is shrinking, just when the teams window is opening!
i think as long as we get to the superbowl this season will not be a complete bust
Share 49ersWebzone