There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
We are just as good as anybody out there and better then most. Of course we a great chance to go all the way this year. Especially so if the matchups go our way. Clearly we want to avoid the Seahawks at home and Lambeu as well if we can. Also we will need to break this two wins and a loss pattern...but we are not just in this, we are a top contender. If we can maintain a consistent effort on both sides of the ball the rest of the way...nobody is as well balaned and well rounded as our guys.

we have not been able to put four good quarters of ball together forever. we are not as good or at least we are not playing at the level or the consistency of a team like seattle or the packers now. that is NOT what you want to see at this crucial time of the year. i take issue with your comment about maintaining a consistent effort on both sides of the ball... you have to START something like that before you MAINTAIN it
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalniner:
We were a better team last year and more consistent. I think we'll be lucky to make it to the nfc championship let alone win the superbowl

i think we can win a first round game at home , if we win sunday,,, but i think we go down bad in a very seattle way like in the second round either in green bay or atlanta. just like we did in the last year of mooch
Originally posted by Jtninerfan210:
To be fair shouldn't Kaep have to learn a new offense for his 1st 6-7 years? What's the travesty with everyone wanting an "elite scoring QB"? Give me a total elite football team over 1 individual any day of the week. Are the coaches trying to fit the QB to the system or fit the system to the QB lately? Before the great QB switch over one could compare our team to the Spurs of the 2000s, in that they were boring with a staunch defense and fundamental offense. Try throwing Mike D'antoni into that Spurs team and you ruin the whole dynamic that they were built upon. Unfortunately for some unGodly reason Harbaugh decided he wanted flash over substance. I don't care for Pete Carrol but at least the guy had the stones to make this move in the preseason...if Harb thought so highly of Kaep and Kaep was tearing it up why not make the move then? Shoot, it's been since the Chicago game since I yelled "Whooooo's got it better than us?" to my wife and kids hearing them say "nooooobody". I'm pulling for Kaep to get it together because the team trumps the player every time, but if he struggles I hope Harbaugh can muster the intestinal fortitude to give AS another shot.

Pete Carroll could do install Wilson as a starter because Flynn really isn't that much more an experienced starter than Wilson: he only had two starts. Furthermore Wilson has been very good in game preparation, even analyzing opposing teams' player tendencies to help out other players in the team. He's like the brightest student in the class. It's difficult for a teacher to ignore.

Kaepernick wasn't that great in the pre-season. The debate at the time I remember was about how composed Tolzien looked.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Pete Carroll could do install Wilson as a starter because Flynn really isn't that much more an experienced starter than Wilson: he only had two starts. Furthermore Wilson has been very good in game preparation, even analyzing opposing teams' player tendencies to help out other players in the team. He's like the brightest student in the class. It's difficult for a teacher to ignore.

Kaepernick wasn't that great in the pre-season. The debate at the time I remember was about how composed Tolzien looked.

With all that said, Wilson did not look that great in his first 6-7 games. He's really taken off the last 5-6 games.
I still have faith but it's hard to see us going all the way AND winning.

If it doesn't happen...this will be a completely wasted season. But of course...it's all good because "it's a learning experience."
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Harbaugh is no dummy. After Alex fell flat on his face in the NFC Championship (and wasted a killer effort from our defense) Harbaugh tried to get a new starting qb on the first day of free agency (and later lied about it). When that didn't work he felt that Kap was probably a year away so he brought Alex back for one season.The Niners defense and special teams are not at the same level as they were last yr and it became clear against good opponents that a game manager at qb would not be enough (see the Vikes and Giants games where we got our asses kicked) Alex got hurt and Kaepernick proved he was ready now so Harbaugh pulled the trigger and benched Alex a few months early. end of story,

good analysis

Agree, just don't know how this years play by Alex didn't sway Jim to hold off. Alex had many fine traits and had the whole locker rooms support (as he was elected catain by his peers). The injuries are pulling up with kap and the team dosnt seem to be playing as tight with him. Maybe Jim and roman were taking it personally when Alex would audible out of their stupid predictable plays . Fact of the matter is consistent minimal turnover ball control play is NEEdeD for our D to perform at a hi level with minimal substitutions. Period. It wasn't always pretty but I would take last years team style back in a heartbeat. Can't say what our identity is now. Whereas with Alex it was quite clear, remember he was here with our core group of talented players long before harbaugh .

Alex stats were inflated by gimme games against the Bills and Jets. Also, Harbaugh is smart enough to realize that qb rating doesn't take into account passes that were completed on 3rd downs but killed drives because they were far short of the first down. Alex was king of the two yard completion on 3rd and long.

I could make a similar argument about Kaep: he's had two great games (Bears, Pats), one decent game (Saints) and the rest are all mediocre (Rams x2, Dolphins and Seahawks).

Well that's not exactly a "similar" argument, to be honest. Nflguy is pointing to the fact tha Harbaugh was looking for an expanded capability of play from the QB position. What the new QB provides is the ability to stretch the field with an ACCURATE deep ball capability. And an aggressive heart. Alex was a timid player and tended to freeze in the face of pressure. Without an expanded capability I believe that the coach knew we weren't a legitimate contender. Teams just stack the box and we don't have the consistent downfield strike capability to make them back off. opponent are happy to give up the 2 yard check down on third and long.

Now, to make change work, the playcalling has to coincide with the players' capabilities and the coaches' expectations. That's been a work in progress They have had six games to make it work and they still have one more game to polish it up. So far it has worked. The team has been 4-2 over the last 6 against some formidable competition. It could have been better, but it is what it is. If you're actually watching the play though, when it's 3rd and long, one doesn't have that hopeless feeling any more. You now feel there's a chance. The playbook hasn't opened up completely, but they're bringing it up slowly. Everyone has to adapt; the OL and recievers, not just the QB. he's proven to be capable. There are more downfield shots and earlier in the game. In the last game they started off that way. the game before they scored on the first series with a downfield shot. I expect that they'll open up a bit more the next game.

Yes, the QB has to smooth up his play. The fumbling tendencies have to be improved on and seem to be better. Still have to work on getting the plays called faster. That's something the coaches must also focus on. It's been only SIX games working with the first team but the progress there has been excellent.

It's disingenuous to say the team is not better off now. It is. But you have to look beyond the statistics and actually watch the play. I see the team as much better and with a better CHANCE now, and getting better. Where before it was slight to none.

The team got blown out last week. A lot of things went wrong. Do you honestly feel that it was all on the QB? If you do, then you're only going to see what you want to see and noone can help or debate with you. Me? I saw the offense using the whole debacle as a learning experience. Mostly in these types of games the losing team is sitting on the bench looking all forlorn. Not this offense. After every series I saw them huddled on the sidelines; CK listening intently to Randy Moss, Joe Staley in the huddle deep in discussion . . . to the end. They were still into the game . . . practicing. TD!

I'm not discouraged. I'm optimistic for the team. Of course, if your a fan of an individual player, you're going to be dissappointed. I can understand that and from that perspective sympathize with you.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by fastforward:

With all that said, Wilson did not look that great in his first 6-7 games. He's really taken off the last 5-6 games.

He only had a few good games early in the season. He has always been clutch however.
Originally posted by taney71:
I agree, but it is more than that. Smith has shown that he can handle the pressure of a playoff run. Harbaugh took a bit risk in going with Kaep knowing full well that this team was on a Superbowl run considering that it got to the NFC Championship game last year. Putting a second year player in at QB with zero experience was/is ballsy. I've said this repeatedly that I hope it works out but so far I'm less than confident in that.

He won 1 game. A game that had 5 turnovers in it for his team. Then lost the 2nd game he played. Before last year Smith had no experience. RG3 has no experience. Neither does Wilson or Luck. I think there's a whole lot of doomsday talk in here. With Smith or Kaep it will be difficult to repeat what happened last year because the D, Special teams and running game are not as good. Couple that with all the injuries we have and not being able to sneak up on teams anymore, it will be difficult.

I saw last year as everything working right for us. We had barely any injuries, had historic kicking game and return game, we won virtually every close game we had. Regardless of the QB, I thought we'd be very lucky to repeat what happened last year. It's not as easy as some make it out to be.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
The sad part is, I don't believe the defense can play up to that level again.. Especially with Smith out for God knows how long One day harbs is saying the cowboy is gonna saddle up and ride, next we're hoping he's available for the playoffs??? Wtf?? I believe it's up to the offense to carry the load this year for us to have a chance...

Per the third sentence in your post. Harbaugh does not owe the media a damn thing let alone an explanantion about a player which potentially gives the opposition any advantage, however minute that advantage might prove to be (like in this case.)
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

If it doesn't happen...this will be a completely wasted season. But of course...it's all good because "it's a learning experience."

So you saw us going to the Superbowl before the QB switch? I guess you're far more optimistic than I am.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I don't understand how we lose to such random ass teams.

WE BEAT THE DAMN PACKERS,SAINTS, LIONS .SEAHAWKS,BEARS AND THE PHUCGGIN PATRIOTS!

I think this last loss was something of an oversee type thing. Maybe Harbros has a plan.
Carlos Rogers really sucked it up last week.

This team gets praise and gets overconfident.
The problem with confidence and talent is the lack of motivation

Everytime these guys beat up a solid SB / Playoff team, the next week or week before they stink up the joint. They get overconfident and don't really look like they practice or take it seriously.

I call it the Manny Lawson effect. All of that size, all of that speed, all of that power looks great on paper, but will it make you work harder during the weeks and off-seasons?

I think we will go all the way. As long as they don't get

overconfident.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

its ok to lose cuz ck is learning ranks right up there with its ok to lose so we can draft higher
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:

So you saw us going to the Superbowl before the QB switch? I guess you're far more optimistic than I am.

Yeah actually I did. I still see us going but not as likely.

Also...the defense was playing better earlier in the year and the run game was better as well. The QB switch would be #3 or #4 in terms of what I think has been detrimental to the team.

1) Defense not playing well this late in the year
2) Run game has declined
3) Play calling has been "simplified" and/or changed for the worst
4) QB switch (which may have led to 3 and 2).
5) Injuries
i voted no because i'm a realist. i think we can win a home playoff game but anything more i'd be beyond suprised. tooooo beat up and we're slightly over rated
Carlos Rogers is a huge concern
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home