LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does anyone still believe that we will win the SB this season?

Yes, one million times yes. I BELIEVE in this team. I'm not going to let one game in the REGULAR season detur us away from the path, THE PATH to the 49ers SIXTH super bowl trophy!
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
I voted yes because anything can and will happen.
I admit, I voted NO, due to Justin Smith's injury more than any other factor. HE is our MVP.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Yeah actually I did. I still see us going but not as likely.

Also...the defense was playing better earlier in the year and the run game was better as well. The QB switch would be #3 or #4 in terms of what I think has been detrimental to the team.

1) Defense not playing well this late in the year
2) Run game has declined
3) Play calling has been "simplified" and/or changed for the worst
4) QB switch (which may have led to 3 and 2).
5) Injuries

The play calling has been simplified since Harbaugh got here. Run game has declined a bit but losing Hunter has affected them more than the QB change IMO. Defense has been up and down all year. Rogers has been getting burned all season. Then there's the injuries. I'd put injuries ahead of the QB switch. Hunter, Manningham and even Kyle Williams are huge losses. Losing Justin Smith is the biggest of all. The minute he goes down in the Pats game, they start scoring touchdowns. Then you look at the Seattle game. He's our MVP.
If Justin Smith is out the rest of the year....it's over.
almost 80 points allowed in 6 quarters without justin smith............
We will have our shot.... but no, I think we are done.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Well that's not exactly a "similar" argument, to be honest. Nflguy is pointing to the fact tha Harbaugh was looking for an expanded capability of play from the QB position. What the new QB provides is the ability to stretch the field with an ACCURATE deep ball capability. And an aggressive heart. Alex was a timid player and tended to freeze in the face of pressure. Without an expanded capability I believe that the coach knew we weren't a legitimate contender. Teams just stack the box and we don't have the consistent downfield strike capability to make them back off. opponent are happy to give up the 2 yard check down on third and long.

Now, to make change work, the playcalling has to coincide with the players' capabilities and the coaches' expectations. That's been a work in progress They have had six games to make it work and they still have one more game to polish it up. So far it has worked. The team has been 4-2 over the last 6 against some formidable competition. It could have been better, but it is what it is. If you're actually watching the play though, when it's 3rd and long, one doesn't have that hopeless feeling any more. You now feel there's a chance. The playbook hasn't opened up completely, but they're bringing it up slowly. Everyone has to adapt; the OL and recievers, not just the QB. he's proven to be capable. There are more downfield shots and earlier in the game. In the last game they started off that way. the game before they scored on the first series with a downfield shot. I expect that they'll open up a bit more the next game.

Yes, the QB has to smooth up his play. The fumbling tendencies have to be improved on and seem to be better. Still have to work on getting the plays called faster. That's something the coaches must also focus on. It's been only SIX games working with the first team but the progress there has been excellent.

It's disingenuous to say the team is not better off now. It is. But you have to look beyond the statistics and actually watch the play. I see the team as much better and with a better CHANCE now, and getting better. Where before it was slight to none.

The team got blown out last week. A lot of things went wrong. Do you honestly feel that it was all on the QB? If you do, then you're only going to see what you want to see and noone can help or debate with you. Me? I saw the offense using the whole debacle as a learning experience. Mostly in these types of games the losing team is sitting on the bench looking all forlorn. Not this offense. After every series I saw them huddled on the sidelines; CK listening intently to Randy Moss, Joe Staley in the huddle deep in discussion . . . to the end. They were still into the game . . . practicing. TD!

I'm not discouraged. I'm optimistic for the team. Of course, if your a fan of an individual player, you're going to be dissappointed. I can understand that and from that perspective sympathize with you.
Is he timid or is he just playing smart? Do you guys realize how much pressure it puts on an opposing defense and coach when they know that the offense in all likelyhood will not commit a turnover? For one things it frustrates the heck out of a defense when a team can pick at you in little chucks through the running game and short passing game. Another thing is that the defense will have the tendency to over commit on some plays to force the issue. Even against 8 man fronts our team was able to impose it's will through the power running game, well where has that gone? i still believe that all three phases were in perfect harmony playing off of one another and that's what allowed us to dominate games. Yes for the last season and a half our team was that throw back smash mouthed team everyone envisioned us being. Now with CK at QB we have a new dimension, but to me it's subtraction by addition. We have the deep ball and super strong arm, but we lack the consistency, smart qb play, power running style that was perfect for this team.

Again the fact that they closed up the playbook because our QB can't grasp it all suggests to me that he wasn't ready to take over. I hope i'm wrong but I can't see this team as currently constituted making a serious push. Now with JS possibly done things are going to get real tough real quick. I might be missing something but it seems like each game is getting progressively worse than the next when it comes to little details. Now when CK tries to roll out there is a defender there cutting off his escape(DEs and LBs are playing contain on him), the D is taking away the deep stuff daring CK to beat them with his brain(something he has been able to sustain consistently).

I'm not a fan of an individual because the team trumps all, but will you be singing the same tune if CK gets pulled this week or in a playoff game? I know there's no shortage of AS bashers but will you go all in if he leads this team while we are not functioning? You said that AS tends to freeze in the face of danger, but what about his last season in a half leads you to that conclusion? He is one of the highest rated QBs when the opposing team blitzes him. I'm a fan of AS and CK but I'm more a fan of the Niners...which is why it rubs me the wrong way how they did one of their own wrong.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
You look at the 2 times the Giants won the SB and when GB won it as w wildcard team and you cannot count anyone out. I think we have the potential to be one of those teams. I remember the giants limped into the playoffs during one of their SB runs and turned it on after that. That is what will happen with us, so yes we will still win the SB this year!
can i change my vote now that cowboy is out?

Well that's not exactly a "similar" argument, to be honest. Nflguy is pointing to the fact tha Harbaugh was looking for an expanded capability of play from the QB position. What the new QB provides is the ability to stretch the field with an ACCURATE deep ball capability. And an aggressive heart. Alex was a timid player and tended to freeze in the face of pressure. Without an expanded capability I believe that the coach knew we weren't a legitimate contender. Teams just stack the box and we don't have the consistent downfield strike capability to make them back off. opponent are happy to give up the 2 yard check down on third and long.

Now, to make change work, the playcalling has to coincide with the players' capabilities and the coaches' expectations. That's been a work in progress They have had six games to make it work and they still have one more game to polish it up. So far it has worked. The team has been 4-2 over the last 6 against some formidable competition. It could have been better, but it is what it is. If you're actually watching the play though, when it's 3rd and long, one doesn't have that hopeless feeling any more. You now feel there's a chance. The playbook hasn't opened up completely, but they're bringing it up slowly. Everyone has to adapt; the OL and recievers, not just the QB. he's proven to be capable. There are more downfield shots and earlier in the game. In the last game they started off that way. the game before they scored on the first series with a downfield shot. I expect that they'll open up a bit more the next game.

Yes, the QB has to smooth up his play. The fumbling tendencies have to be improved on and seem to be better. Still have to work on getting the plays called faster. That's something the coaches must also focus on. It's been only SIX games working with the first team but the progress there has been excellent.

It's disingenuous to say the team is not better off now. It is. But you have to look beyond the statistics and actually watch the play. I see the team as much better and with a better CHANCE now, and getting better. Where before it was slight to none.

The team got blown out last week. A lot of things went wrong. Do you honestly feel that it was all on the QB? If you do, then you're only going to see what you want to see and noone can help or debate with you. Me? I saw the offense using the whole debacle as a learning experience. Mostly in these types of games the losing team is sitting on the bench looking all forlorn. Not this offense. After every series I saw them huddled on the sidelines; CK listening intently to Randy Moss, Joe Staley in the huddle deep in discussion . . . to the end. They were still into the game . . . practicing. TD!

I'm not discouraged. I'm optimistic for the team. Of course, if your a fan of an individual player, you're going to be dissappointed. I can understand that and from that perspective sympathize with you.

nice post doe!
Yes, if our offense steps up in the absence of Hunter and we get great play from our OL and LMJ and AJ in relief of Kendall and KW. These players must complement our other weapons in VD Delanie Moss Crabs and most importantly Kaep. If we can get on track offensively, I believe that we have enough defense to win in the postseason. We got to have better playcalling and execution and put up points as we get stops. Then our special teams must bring it like they did all last year. If we do these things, we have as good of a shot as anyone. First, we must win the division this Sunday. I don't see any wildcard team coming here to beat us the remainder of this season and our defense travels well outside of SEA which we won't have to travel there anyways. Keep the faith

Wow. Very nicely stated!!!

And I agree with you about the offense not quitting, despite the score. To me, that was the silver lining to the last game.

Now to move on to the Ariz. game. Harbs was clearly unhappy with the Seattle game, and I expect a very different performance this week.

Smith prob out for the season....= season over..fml
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Wow. Very nicely stated!!!

And I agree with you about the offense not quitting, despite the score. To me, that was the silver lining to the last game.

Now to move on to the Ariz. game. Harbs was clearly unhappy with the Seattle game, and I expect a very different performance this week.

Thanks.

Share 49ersWebzone