There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Pistol Offense and Running Out of Shotgun

Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by UKNiners:
First 3 plays, pass, pass, pass. Why? Gore has run wild on these guys. Harbaugh/Roman getting to excited with their new toy. Downfield throws are not effective or as much as they were when it was a surprise. And CK forces way too many balls to Moss. Pistol is gimmicky, won't last.

Agreed.
Gore OWNS the seahawks every year
He had 131 yards on just 16 attempts and 50 yards receiving when we played them earlier this year. So disappointing to see how were using him

It's too bad Harbaugh wants to get away from the Niners' strength (ground 'n pound).
Originally posted by 190836:
I know one thing, this is no West Coast Offense.

Pretty much. It's strange that Harbaugh has moved away from what was successful for the past 1 1/2 season, and now runs pretty much a college type of football.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by 190836:
I know one thing, this is no West Coast Offense.

Pretty much. It's strange that Harbaugh has moved away from what was successful for the past 1 1/2 season, and now runs pretty much a college type of football.

It's very disappointing
It makes me wonder if that's what the future is gonna be . A college offense centered around Kaepernick and LaMichael James
Originally posted by fastforward:
Pretty much. It's strange that Harbaugh has moved away from what was successful for the past 1 1/2 season, and now runs pretty much a college type of football.

This OL is built to run-block, Lord knows they aren't built to pass-block yet they're running so many plays out of these gimmicky formations, I really don't know what the hell is going on anymore or what this offense even is.
  • Eeks
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 116
Originally posted by fastforward:
Pretty much. It's strange that Harbaugh has moved away from what was successful for the past 1 1/2 season, and now runs pretty much a college type of football.

Yup. But the funny part is to me that CK looks better running the regular stuff instead of the dumb read option crap
Originally posted by Eeks:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Pretty much. It's strange that Harbaugh has moved away from what was successful for the past 1 1/2 season, and now runs pretty much a college type of football.

Yup. But the funny part is to me that CK looks better running the regular stuff instead of the dumb read option crap

Not really, he's still really iffy taking snaps from under center.
  • Eeks
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 116
Assuming the snap is not fumbled. He looks great dropping back and working off play action
Originally posted by Eeks:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Pretty much. It's strange that Harbaugh has moved away from what was successful for the past 1 1/2 season, and now runs pretty much a college type of football.

Yup. But the funny part is to me that CK looks better running the regular stuff instead of the dumb read option crap

It could be that Kaepernick is more comfortable with the read option, and the coaches accommodate his learning curve.
Originally posted by Eeks:
Assuming the snap is not fumbled. He looks great dropping back and working off play action


you cant safely assume that though
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
DELETE THE PISTOL OFFENSE FROM OUR PLAYBOOK PLEASE

Whenever we run now we run out of the damn pistol formation or Shotgun

That's not utilizing Gore to thebest way possible. I formation with a fullback leading the way is Gore's game

Gore was averaging 5.5 yards a carry without the pistol offense (when Alex started) and now averages barely 4 yards a carry with the stupid college offense crap.

We need to go back to when we were the best rushing team in the league and power run. We came out passing today and failed miserably.

Run the ball, feed Frank and LaMichael.

That is all.

Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
DELETE THE PISTOL OFFENSE FROM OUR PLAYBOOK PLEASE

Whenever we run now we run out of the damn pistol formation or Shotgun

That's not utilizing Gore to thebest way possible. I formation with a fullback leading the way is Gore's game

Gore was averaging 5.5 yards a carry without the pistol offense (when Alex started) and now averages barely 4 yards a carry with the stupid college offense crap.

We need to go back to when we were the best rushing team in the league and power run. We came out passing today and failed miserably.

Run the ball, feed Frank and LaMichael.

That is all.

It all comes down to bad coaching at this point.
Originally posted by drakan:
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by UKNiners:
First 3 plays, pass, pass, pass. Why? Gore has run wild on these guys. Harbaugh/Roman getting to excited with their new toy. Downfield throws are not effective or as much as they were when it was a surprise. And CK forces way too many balls to Moss. Pistol is gimmicky, won't last.

Agreed.
Gore OWNS the seahawks every year
He had 131 yards on just 16 attempts and 50 yards receiving when we played them earlier this year. So disappointing to see how were using him

It's too bad Harbaugh wants to get away from the Niners' strength (ground 'n pound).


so very true..this is perhaps the biggest argument against the qb change---they moved to strengthen a perceived weakness (lack of passing downfield), and really havent gotten a better passing game, but have instead weakened a strength (the running game)
I think the biggest issue that i never see brought up is the lack of sustained drives.

everyne fell in love ith Kaeps ability to make big plays, but failed to realise that the Offense with AS at the helm was much more suited to our defense due to long clock eating, drives..

A big play is fine and dandy, but sustained drives are more important when you have an elite defense to rely on.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I think the biggest issue that i never see brought up is the lack of sustained drives.

everyne fell in love ith Kaeps ability to make big plays, but failed to realise that the Offense with AS at the helm was much more suited to our defense due to long clock eating, drives..

A big play is fine and dandy, but sustained drives are more important when you have an elite defense to rely on.

Indeed. With Kaepernick you either get a quick score or a quick 3 and out which means shorter rests and more time on the field for the defense.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I think the biggest issue that i never see brought up is the lack of sustained drives.

everyne fell in love ith Kaeps ability to make big plays, but failed to realise that the Offense with AS at the helm was much more suited to our defense due to long clock eating, drives..

A big play is fine and dandy, but sustained drives are more important when you have an elite defense to rely on.


the short passes smith was throwing were more conducive---and crabtree wasnt breaking alot of them for nice gains after the catch

the pistol offense is more like a derringer
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I think the biggest issue that i never see brought up is the lack of sustained drives.

everyne fell in love ith Kaeps ability to make big plays, but failed to realise that the Offense with AS at the helm was much more suited to our defense due to long clock eating, drives..

A big play is fine and dandy, but sustained drives are more important when you have an elite defense to rely on.


the short passes smith was throwing were more conducive---and crabtree wasnt breaking alot of them for nice gains after the catch

the pistol offense is more like a derringer

Another thing is AS was much more efficient running th offence. We should not be dumbing down an offense at this point in the season.

Another thing that worries me, especially after this game, as Kaep was staring down his receivers really badly. That as something alot of people criticised smith for, and smith IMO was never near as bad at that as Kaep as in this game.

I still think Kaep will probably be OK in the long run, but it has become clear that coach made a horrible decision benching AS, and it has probally cost us our super bowl run. For all the praise he rightfully earned last season, he has been almost the exact opposite this season. He deserves alot if not most of the blame for the shortcomings of this team.

Game plan was aful this week. Frank Gore made a name for himself against Seattle and we come out gunslinging? Still cant fix the play clock issues? f**king made me sick quite frankly.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Dec 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM ]