LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 205 users in the forums

Mario Manningham has a Torn ACL and PCL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
he'll be fine and back on the field for us next season
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
With that extra 2nd round pick I wonder if we will pick a WR there. What we do at the WR position this offseason will say a lot about the rehab of Manningham and what TB and JH think of AJ Jenkins

If there is a 6'2+" 215 pound WR on the board when the 49ers pick, you can bet Baalke will pull the trigger. After watching Boldin abuse Chris Culliver in the SB you can bet he is not going to put a great deal of confidence in the oft-injured Mario Manningham.

I find it ironic that Alex Smith is going to a KC team that has Dwayne Bowe, a past Pro Bowler and a very nice young Jon Baldwin 6'4" 230 pound guy who averaged almost 17 yards/reception with the junk QBs KC had throwing to him last season.
  • dj43
Originally posted by okdkid:
I keep forgetting about him and Kyle Williams. God damn we're freaking loaded.

When this offense gets a top level passing game, neither of those guys will be on the roster.
i think they injury settlement manningham and williams. theyre both too small and manningham tore everything in that knee so hes not gonna be the same. cut em both, sign a starting wr FA and draft a couple for the future. crabs and the FA will be the starters with jenkins hopefully upgraded from last year and the two rooks
Originally posted by dj43:
When this offense gets a top level passing game, neither of those guys will be on the roster.

Manningahm is no scrub.I do not nunderstad the ammount of haterade towards him.
[ Edited by JeuSF49 on Mar 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM ]
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i think they injury settlement manningham and williams. theyre both too small and manningham tore everything in that knee so hes not gonna be the same. cut em both, sign a starting wr FA and draft a couple for the future. crabs and the FA will be the starters with jenkins hopefully upgraded from last year and the two rooks

What free agent are you referring to and where is this money coming from? I believe it was reported that Williams will be ready to go by training camp. Having Kyle Williams as your 5th receiver isn't bad. He also is likely to be a very cheap signing next offseason when I believe his deal is up. Now I can see them doing an injury settlement with Manningham only because of the severity of the injury and he probably won't be ready to play until after the season has begun. However he still is a pretty good receiver and has proven to be clutch. If they don't do an injury settlement, then I can see them extending and redoing his deal to lower his cap figure for 2013. It's not likely he gets much on the open market in 2014 when he would've been a free agent, so it's a win-win situation. We get to keep a really good receiver as a number 2 or number 3 for what should be an inexpensive contract (making it performance based is another option). Mario Manningham gets the opportunity to rehab and be a part of a Super Bowl challenging team for a few seasons.

If AJ Jenkins pan out, and I actually think he will, he becomes the deep threat complement to Michael Crabtree. We will also probably have a rookie and a cheap FA to round out the roster, and the best 5 guys in camp will make it. I don't think we absolutely have to spend big bucks on the position because we have a QB who can actually make his receivers look better. The position doesn't look like a strength now, but remember, we were averaging 30 points a game with Michael Crabtree and Randy Moss alone. I think we can continue that production next season provided we draft another receiver.
Too bd with Manningham, was hoping he'd come back. But, if we can extend/restructure his deal dat be best for all of us. We could then add a Josh Cribbs and a draft pick to wrap the position up.
  • dj43
Originally posted by JeuSF49:

Mmanningahm is no scrub.I do not nunderstad the ammount of haterade towards him.

He isn't a "scrub." He just isn't anyone that is going to cause a good defense to lose any sleep. Remember, he was #3 in NY. He has never come close to fulfilling his pre-draft hype. Sometimes that is just the way it falls.

In any case, his injury status precludes him figuring in any way into fall plans. The best he can hope for is an injury settlement and a chance to hook on somewhere later in the season.
  • dj43
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

What free agent are you referring to and where is this money coming from? I believe it was reported that Williams will be ready to go by training camp. Having Kyle Williams as your 5th receiver isn't bad. He also is likely to be a very cheap signing next offseason when I believe his deal is up. Now I can see them doing an injury settlement with Manningham only because of the severity of the injury and he probably won't be ready to play until after the season has begun. However he still is a pretty good receiver and has proven to be clutch. If they don't do an injury settlement, then I can see them extending and redoing his deal to lower his cap figure for 2013. It's not likely he gets much on the open market in 2014 when he would've been a free agent, so it's a win-win situation. We get to keep a really good receiver as a number 2 or number 3 for what should be an inexpensive contract (making it performance based is another option). Mario Manningham gets the opportunity to rehab and be a part of a Super Bowl challenging team for a few seasons.

If AJ Jenkins pan out, and I actually think he will, he becomes the deep threat complement to Michael Crabtree. We will also probably have a rookie and a cheap FA to round out the roster, and the best 5 guys in camp will make it. I don't think we absolutely have to spend big bucks on the position because we have a QB who can actually make his receivers look better. The position doesn't look like a strength now, but remember, we were averaging 30 points a game with Michael Crabtree and Randy Moss alone. I think we can continue that production next season provided we draft another receiver.

I agree with most all of what you say here.

I don't believe we can count on a 30 point/game average next season. For one thing, every defensive coordinator in the league is spending the off-season designing defenses to stop the read/option. Kaepernick is going to get extra attention from DCs as well. More teams will begin to play against it like Atlanta did. That will require the 49ers to have other weapons besides Crabtree and VD.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

i dont know whos in the FA market but i believe that WR is the only position they should spend a little money on. they constantly miss on washed up old vets and undersized drafted receivers. i like manningham a lot but i just dont see him coming back full speed from tearing every possible ligament in his leg. i dont think he or williams will ever play a full healthy season with what the niners ask of their receivers. i hope we get bigger guys in here who can take the midfield hits that can be expected in our offense. not neccessarily telling them to break the bank for wallace or bowe but they should get a starting quality receiver in here and then draft a couple and build up the receiving corps

I agree with most all of what you say here.

I don't believe we can count on a 30 point/game average next season. For one thing, every defensive coordinator in the league is spending the off-season designing defenses to stop the read/option. Kaepernick is going to get extra attention from DCs as well. More teams will begin to play against it like Atlanta did. That will require the 49ers to have other weapons besides Crabtree and VD.

I'm not going to say that we are a 30 point a game team with things as they are now (not including rookies), but I do think we are closer to 30 than we are to 24/25 (what we averaged over the course of the season). I expect teams to focus on keeping CK in the pocket, but is that really a good thing for them? We need one more receiver and TE that can regularly beat the one on one coverage that they will see. If we get that, then we should be one of the top offenses next season.

To your point about defenses trying to stop the read option, it's not something we run the entire game. So if defenses want to put all their energy into that, fine. The pistol is not the only formation we can run out of and the read option is simply a play. We could never do either and still be highly effective.
i dont know whos in the FA market but i believe that WR is the only position they should spend a little money on. they constantly miss on washed up old vets and undersized drafted receivers. i like manningham a lot but i just dont see him coming back full speed from tearing every possible ligament in his leg. i dont think he or williams will ever play a full healthy season with what the niners ask of their receivers. i hope we get bigger guys in here who can take the midfield hits that can be expected in our offense. not neccessarily telling them to break the bank for wallace or bowe but they should get a starting quality receiver in here and then draft a couple and build up the receiving corps

You are probably right seeing as how I don't think either have been healthy throughout their careers. However we can draft one or two receivers this season as a replacement for both who's deals will be up in 2014.
He isn't a "scrub." He just isn't anyone that is going to cause a good defense to lose any sleep. Remember, he was #3 in NY. He has never come close to fulfilling his pre-draft hype. Sometimes that is just the way it falls.

In any case, his injury status precludes him figuring in any way into fall plans. The best he can hope for is an injury settlement and a chance to hook on somewhere later in the season.

Name a #3 WR who causes a "good defense to lose any sleep".

There haven't been too many of those in the salary cap era.
  • dj43
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

Name a #3 WR who causes a "good defense to lose any sleep".

There haven't been too many of those in the salary cap era.

None are. That's my point. MM is a decent #3 on a team that passes the ball well. All good teams need a solid #3 and Manningham could be that for the 49ers but history tells us we will be disappointed if we expect more of him than that.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

No #2 or #3 WR causes a defense to lose any sleep. That's why they're a #2 or #3.

Not every player can be in the Pro Bowl. Players like Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham are incredibly valuable to a roster like ours.
  • dj43
Originally posted by okdkid:

No #2 or #3 WR causes a defense to lose any sleep. That's why they're a #2 or #3.

Not every player can be in the Pro Bowl. Players like Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham are incredibly valuable to a roster like ours.

I'm not knocking either of those two guys. I am only responding to those who see them as anything more than decent #3s behind two strong guys above them. In this case, the 49ers need a big strong guy with above average speed to draw at least some of the fire away from Crabtree. Williams and Manningham can easily be defended by a single defensive back. So while a good team needs that level of player, they are only effective if there are two strong players above them.
Share 49ersWebzone