There are 266 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD - PLAYOFFS- 2013 DIVISIONAL ROUND

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm getting more and more anxious. The week seems to be moving really slow. I'm already amped up and ready to go. GO NINERS!!!!!!!
WTF is this is hear, Pier 39 will be closed off to accommodate Packer fans on Saturday
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
WTF is this is hear, Pier 39 will be closed off to accommodate Packer fans on Saturday

Best place to toss em into the bay.

Gotta appease 50% of the fans who will be packing our stadium Saturday.

Where did you hear that?
I don't care if Green Bay beats us, or Atlanta if we make it to the NFC, but we CAN NOT lose to the Seahawks, again.
49ers 56 packers 13
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
GB has lost this year @Sea, @IND, @NYG, @Minn.

Their only home loss was to us.

In other words, they lose road games to teams that are similar to us. Hmm...

And they always win at home, to everybody but us. Hmm...
Originally posted by BrianGO:
In other words, they lose road games to teams that are similar to us. Hmm...

And they always win at home, to everybody but us. Hmm...

I'm split on the implication that we'll win because of ^that^. They say "numbers never lie" but this is the playoffs, Green Bay has to go big or go home, and no one wants to get eliminated. They may not win, but they'll certainly try.
One thing I'll give the Giants last year was that they really 'generated' that old 2007 flame within which carried them back to the Superbowl last year. -Everybody seems to be comparing 'these' Packers to the 2010 Packers, when even Aaron Rodgers (himself) has disputed such, and that the mentality is far different (compared to 2010's 'adversity' mentality).

-These Packers remind me a lot of the old 49ers teams from 1991-1993, the offensive talent is there, and the 'QB' is present (so they're gonna be in the playoffs every year), but there's just too much age/inconsistency/injuries on the defense and o-line which will continue to cost them unless Ted Thompson decides to stop being so 'cheap'. -Another concern is that McCarthy's Packers have suffered more injuries than any other era of Packers football.

Packers have no business winning Saturday, and if it happens, it falls on the 49ers more than the Packers being the 'better' team.

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
One thing I'll give the Giants last year was that they really 'generated' that old 2007 flame within which carried them back to the Superbowl last year. -Everybody seems to be comparing 'these' Packers to the 2010 Packers, when even Aaron Rodgers (himself) has disputed such, and that the mentality is far different (compared to 2010's 'adversity' mentality).

-These Packers remind me a lot of the old 49ers teams from 1991-1993, the offensive talent is there, and the 'QB' is present (so they're gonna be in the playoffs every year), but there's just too much age/inconsistency/injuries on the defense and o-line which will continue to cost them unless Ted Thompson decides to stop being so 'cheap'. -Another concern is that McCarthy's Packers have suffered more injuries than any other era of Packers football.

Packers have no business winning Saturday, and if it happens, it falls on the 49ers more than the Packers being the 'better' team.
About f**king time someone actually brought up a good point. Excellent comparison, and nearly impeccable similarities.

I agree about the Niners being at fault if they get knocked out, because while GB is a great team, they are dinged up. I want to write more, but so tired. Good night
[ Edited by HouseNiner on Jan 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM ]
Originally posted by HouseNiner:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

About f**king time someone actually brought up a good point. Excellent comparison, and nearly impeccable similarities.

I agree about the Niners being at fault if they get knocked out, because while GB is a great team, they are dinged up. I want to write more, but so tired. Good night

Yeah, I just seriously feel the media is trying to make this game interesting/hype it up to be something it isn't due to just how horrible this post-season has gone thus far. It's gonna be a blow-out.
that phag ass heath evans guarantees the packers to beat the niners.

What a clown statement, bro!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Go, Niners, go!
Hi all,

27 year old Packer fan here, been a fan since 1990 when my father took me to see the Majik man for the 1st time. I have not missed a game since then.

First of all, let's drop these "expert" analysts opinions, because I find that you get better results talking to the smart fan who has watched their team over 64 quarters over the regular season. I bet, a lot of you could tell me a little nuance about a player that everyone rates highly but you all agree that he is overrated. Only fans who watch week in and week out can do that.

With that in mind, I think the blueprint for beating us is:-

QB - You know the deal. He isn't perfect, week 1 showed you that. 51 sacks, some of them of his own doing for holding on for too long, and some of them due to some frankly, "offensive" offensive line play. The major difference between Week 1 and the upcoming game is, a change in mentality. Week 1, the play-calling was based on the achievement of last season but now, it is based on how the team has evolved through the last 64 quarters. New pieces are helping, such as replacing Saturday with EDS and Dujuan Harris, who atleast offers a semblance of a threat from our maligned, frankly crap (over the past couple years) run game. Pressure with four should work, I do not doubt for a second he won't kiss the turf four or more times. Be mindful of what is underneath though, because….

RBs – Dujuan Harris doesn't know any better, he isn't a great back, but has shown potential. He's impatient though, and doesn't wait for holes (we hardly open any!, but when we do..) – the one thing that he has offered though, is speed on the dump off when we take what the other team gives. The rest of the running game is improved from week one, but still sub-par. I am hoping we can average close to four, to not resort to a 50 pass game. Here's to hoping.

Wr's/te's – Don't believe the hype. Individually, everyone bar Cobb is slightly overrated and prone to an error or two, BUT, there is great parity between 1-4 and Finley. Everyone is a viable target because there is little drop off in talent level. In the first game, we tried to use Cobb in a variety of ways, and it was somewhat successful. That's game 1 though, and since then, there has been a lot of creativity going on. Jermichael Finley is a true wildcard, maddening to me and our majority. He is Vernon Davis, only with a fifth of the consistency. He'll drop a floated into his mitts, yet make an incredible one handed 239823987 yard grab and remind you that he can be great, for about five minutes.

Oline – The interior isn't the issue. Lang, EDS and SItton are a solid trio. THE EXTERIOR HOWEVER…This is where the game will be won or lost. Newhouse is every team's best friend, a young, dumpy turnstyle who is frequently beaten by even mediocre backers and lineman. Barclay is talented, but still needs to improve his technique and will get beat. Unless your D has an off day, it could be be a very long night.

Dline – Raji is a workhorse, he has to be because whilst Wilson/Neal/Daniels etc. are serviceable, they create an imbalance. If your line can render Raji and to a smaller extent Pickett as small/non factors, the battle is won. It isn't a tough battle, but it needs to be won.

Linebackers – Matthews. Much more than a pass rusher, for his work in run support is invaluable to our defence. Hawk/Jones are capable against the run but look like 'tards for the most part on passing downs. Walden is polarizing, some days he is absolutely nothing, another day he'll get a couple sacks, and a couple TFL and you think "Ooh, we have a solid starter". A lot of Kaepernick's work outside of the pocket will be defined by what kind of work Walden can do.

DB's – The major change since week 1. Major. Massive. Because of injuries, through game time, we have developed our depth. McMillan, M.D Jennings and Casey H have all had extended game time. Casey H is the surprise package in the slot, he looks like a typical dainty DB but every now and then he'll do something that belies his age, like outsmart a big tall receiver, jump the route, almost catch it but in a way where you think "There is no way you are a rookie". Woodson is playing at the LOS more and more, and is more a factor in attempting to stop the run.

K/P/ST's – I feel your pain with Akers guys. We have Crosby. I am afraid. Masthay is a BEAST! Gotta show our punter some love, he always seems to be able to put it in a place where our gunner (Bush) can down the ball between the 1-7 yard line. Our return game is solid, and it isn't all Randall Cobb. Jeremy Ross has shown something.

Coaching – I think 2009 was the last time we lost two games against the same opponent in one season. Now, I am not saying the 49ers are Atlanta (far from it), but after we lost to the Falcons in our SB season two years ago, McCarthy was confident that we would have adjustments at the ready, and boy, did we. The 49ers are different though, a much more multi faceted team with, importantly, one of the best defences in the league. It will be interesting to see how this game goes.

I don't predict scores, but I hope we win. However, if we do lose, I'd rather the 49ers win it all than any other team. I can't fault the tradition and history of your organisation. And the majority of the fan base is sweet.

Jose.
Share 49ersWebzone