LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Niners morphing into offensive team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i will have to see alot more of what i saw in the first half in the pats game before i can make this statement. as you know our offense was not good vs the rams and for most of the miami game. lets all not get to carried away with sunday. we played great offensive football for a half and then not so much after that. Now this has nothing to do with coaching, play calling etc. our defense is still the head of this rattlesnake. can we actually put four good quarters of offensive football together before we start saying our team is now an offensive team. in my opinion our offense has to be taken seriously but as we only seem to play two good quarters, it can not be "feared" , not just yet
Next year's first round pick will be a defensive player. Book it.

I'm thinking D line.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:
i will have to see alot more of what i saw in the first half in the pats game before i can make this statement. as you know our offense was not good vs the rams and for most of the miami game. lets all not get to carried away with sunday. we played great offensive football for a half and then not so much after that. Now this has nothing to do with coaching, play calling etc. our defense is still the head of this rattlesnake. can we actually put four good quarters of offensive football together before we start saying our team is now an offensive team. in my opinion our offense has to be taken seriously but as we only seem to play two good quarters, it can not be "feared" , not just yet

we had 24 points in the second half. if we didnt play so conservative, we would have done more damage.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

I'm thinking D line.

i hope so. We have a QB now that can utilize the offensive talent currently on the roster.
Originally posted by Amir:

I'm thinking D line.

i hope so. We have a QB now that can utilize the offensive talent currently on the roster.
need OL depth too
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I'm thinking D line.

need OL depth too

Well you always need o line depth, but at this point we don't need to draft them early. The OP suggested taking offensive players early in the draft, which imo isn't necessary. We already have a top flight defense, if we need to take a defensive player in the first to sustain it, then you do it. Linebackers and secondary with the exception of Gold son's contract are pretty much set for awhile, but François will be a FA, if I'm not mistaken Sopoaga will be a FA, Smith is getting older.....

D-Line trumps any offensive needs at this point in my opinion.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

we had 24 points in the second half. if we didnt play so conservative, we would have done more damage.
like i said, WHATEVER the reason was for the poor offensive vs the rams and dolphins and the second half vs the pats. i need to see alot more before i proclaim us to have an elite offense. i have to see good pass protection on a consistent basis, i have to see a massive cutdown on penalities. I am just saying,, please lets not get to carried away with the first half of the pats game because we have seen this offense go the other way to
The Niner offense won't be nearly as good as the Niner D anytime soon. If it was we'd have the most ridiculous team to ever play.

That said, focusing on offense or defense is a false dichotomy. One doesn't take away from the other, unless you're talking about the draft.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I'm thinking D line.

i hope so. the injury to justin should have brought attention to that area. we need better back up linebackers and a grant replacement for the inside spot. we drafted two guys last year but they of course are non factors this year. our depth at backer and d line is razor thin

I'm thinking D line.

i hope so. the injury to justin should have brought attention to that area. we need better back up linebackers and a grant replacement for the inside spot. we drafted two guys last year but they of course are non factors this year. our depth at backer and d line is razor thin

We are truly in a BPA situation.

But if I was forced to pick an area of need, I'd have to go with D line.

In a talk I has with a real knowledgeable Niner fan a great point was made to me. All the WR's we've brought in since Harbaugh got here have been speedy guys with no much bulk. (AJ, Mario, Ginn) And the offense is slowly going away from VD leading to the belief that once VD's contract is up we won't be resigning him. That's if we don't trade him.

I'm thinking D line.

We are truly in a BPA situation.

But if I was forced to pick an area of need, I'd have to go with D line.

Were not Drafting a QB if he's the BPA we'll trade down. I've never believed in that anyway. There is always a position of need. GM's look at who's contract will be up nest season and all that jazz.
Defense win championships. Think of all of the offensive powerhouses that have been in the playoffs over the past few years. They are usually beaten by the team with the better defense.

I think Harbaugh envisions this team as a Steelers or Giants type of team. Balanced and effective on both side of the ball. That is why we keep locking up our defensive starter for the long term. We just extended Bowman. I expect Goldson to be next. We locked up Brooks and Rodgers in the offseason. I don't expect much turnover among the defensive starters for a long time.

That said, Harbaugh and Balke will bolster the offense because that is our weakness. I expect extensions for Crabtree, A. Davis, and maybe Manningham to be coming soon as well.
There was this team awhile back that had a really good D and and a pretty good offense.

The lost their starting QB and replaced him with this guy on their bench that nobody had ever heard of.

Once he got the job, he never let it go. He was something of a "game manager" to start and the D and special teams is really what won them their games. They won a Super Bowl in his first year as a starter.

Something happened tho...the balance swung the other way entirely. Several year later that same guy was leading the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL and was being called the best QB ever.

That guys name was Tom Brady.

I'm not saying Kaep is Brady. Lets make that clear. My point is that these kinds of shifts happen quicker than you think. Brady went from a Game Manager to an elite QB fairly quickly.

Bradys best QB rating before 2007 was 92.3. Then in 2007 he just went freakin' NUTS and has been Tom freakin' Brady ever since. He had never thrown THIRTY TDs before he threw FIFTY in 2007. Change happens QUICKLY.

BTW, Kaep is playing MUCH better than Tom did in his first season. Tom finished that season with 18TDs, 12 INTs, and an 86.5 rating. He also won the Super Bowl.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
There was this team awhile back that had a really good D and and a pretty good offense.

The lost their starting QB and replaced him with this guy on their bench that nobody had ever heard of.

Once he got the job, he never let it go. He was something of a "game manager" to start and the D and special teams is really what won them their games. They won a Super Bowl in his first year as a starter.

Something happened tho...the balance swung the other way entirely. Several year later that same guy was leading the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL and was being called the best QB ever.

That guys name was Tom Brady.

I'm not saying Kaep is Brady. Lets make that clear. My point is that these kinds of shifts happen quicker than you think. Brady went from a Game Manager to an elite QB fairly quickly.

Bradys best QB rating before 2007 was 92.3. Then in 2007 he just went freakin' NUTS and has been Tom freakin' Brady ever since. He had never thrown THIRTY TDs before he threw FIFTY in 2007. Change happens QUICKLY.

BTW, Kaep is playing MUCH better than Tom did in his first season. Tom finished that season with 18TDs, 12 INTs, and an 86.5 rating. He also won the Super Bowl.
well,, you still must protect him and while i agree with axe, i think the o line needs work to. we need a replacement soon for our aging center, staley needs someone to at least compete with him because I do not think he is a pro bowler. our pass protection sucked last year and overall it has been less than average thsi year and the only thing they did to fix it was to draft a kid with a busted food
Share 49ersWebzone