There are 155 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Idk why Baltimore comes to mind when I think of places Alex could be next year and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Harbaugh has already been talking to John about this as well Flacco has always been inconsistent and TO happy, something Alex has not been the last 2 and a half years or so.

Seems like a great fit too, strong D and strong running game.

I actually agree with this... He can do wonder in that team!

Didn't think about that as a destination, but Smith would be a great fit for that team.

In that system would he really be better then Flacco?

I think he could be. They have the offense and the defense that can support that particular style of play. And who knows, maybe... JUST MAYBE, he'll start airing it out!

(wishful thinking, I know)

Baltimore seems like a good place on paper...but there is something to be said for staying in the NFC...he knows all the DBs...he knows the defenses.
Then again, Brees made the switch from AFC to NFC and did just fine...not that Alex is Brees...
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
I took it to mean that he was showing those guys as a counter to the idea that even good qbs need the team around them to be good to excel.

Correct.

Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart: None of those guys have excelled when the team around them has been bad.

BS. Every single one of those guys has personally excelled when his team has been bad.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Dec 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM ]
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
None of those guys have excelled when the team around them has been bad.

BS. Every single one of those guys has personally excelled when his team has been bad.
like who?
Originally posted by jreff22:

like who?

Not sure how "every single one of those guys" is unclear.
Smitty fan 4 life!!! I still think that what happened to him sucks more than a slore. Next year I will have two favorite teams...the Smitty will rise!

Yea? Andrew Luck has a 75.5 qb rating. Hardly excelling.

You may have had a point with Robert Griffin, but then he got injured and his back up came in and lit it up which probably indicates that the team around him isn't too shabby.

Peyton Manning threw for almost 20 ints a season with a mid 80s qbr for the first 5 years of his career until the team around him got better.

Drew Bress struggled with the Chargers and has had success behind a talented offense in NO. When his line doesn't do a good job protecting him or when the defense plays terribly, he's become a pick machine.

Cam Newton scored a lot of TDs last year, but he also turned the ball over 20 times and didn't have a good qb rating.

Andy Dalton has a decent team around him, but still only has around a 85 career qb rating.

None of those guys excelled.
[ Edited by TinyHandsBigHeart on Dec 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM ]

16 343 547 62.7 4,131 7.55 26 86 23 4 -- 84.1
16 16 319 516 61.8 3529 6.8 62 24 12 26 88
11 11 205 356 57.6 2108 5.9 68 11 15 21 68
16 372 607 61.3 3,881 6.39 20 59 29 8 -- 70.9

The above are all stats for QBs that are currently or were recently playing and will be in the HoF (and probably first ballot). The last number is the qb rating. None of those stats are the first 2 years. I don't think you can put those bad seasons on them as they will be HoF QBs.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Dec 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM ]

like who?

Not sure how "every single one of those guys" is unclear.
its a loaded statement, they all have help
An Alex Smith appreciation thread...I like it.

Thanks for sticking with it through the tough times.
Thanks for being resilient enough to be a great contributor to the Phoenix like rise of the 49ers.
Thanks for being a mentor to Kaepernick.
Thanks for being a great SF Giants fan.

Yea? Andrew Luck has a 75.5 qb rating. Hardly excelling. Andrew Luck took over a 2 win team and has them on the verge of a playoff berth. If you are looking at QB rating as the end all, then I really feel like this response will be a waste of time. 2 win team with Luck is a top 5 team in the AFC. If you dont call that success, I dont know what is.

You may have had a point with Robert Griffin, but then he got injured and his back up came in and lit it up which probably indicates that the team around him isn't too shabby. No tape on Kirk Cousins, so theres no surprise that he lit it up. Oh wait, does that excuse only apply to OUR quarterbacks who are replacing Alex? RGIII took over a 5 win team and will likely win the NFC East. At worst, they are an 8 win team. Yes he has had help from Alfred Morris, but many attribute his success to RGIII. His stats are off the charts for a rookie QB.

Peyton Manning threw for almost 20 ints a season with a mid 80s qbr for the first 5 years of his career until the team around him got better. It took Peyton Manning one full season to turn the Colts from a terrible team to a perennial powerhouse. Mid 80s QBR for his first 5 years? Completely incorrect. (71.2, 90.7, 94.7, 84.1, 88.8) Yeah, that sounds like mid 80s for first 5 years. Or are you strictly talking average? Fine. It averages to about an 85 QBR. But you know damn well his rookie year is weighting that down. To say he was a mid 80s QBR type QB is ridiculous.

Drew Bress struggled with the Chargers and has had success behind a talented offense in NO. When his line doesn't do a good job protecting him or when the defense plays terribly, he's become a pick machine. Talented offense in NO? LOL. This was a 3 win team when Drew Brees got to New Orleans. He turned that into a 10 win team in one season and threw for 4400 yards and 26 TDs.

Cam Newton scored a lot of TDs last year, but he also turned the ball over 20 times and didn't have a good qb rating. Yep 35 touchdowns. An obscene amount for a rookie starting on the worst team in the NFL. He had terrible talent around him and turned a 2 win team into a 6 win team....and put up great stats in the process. Didnt have a good QB rating? I guess is considered to be bad these days huh?

Andy Dalton has a decent team around him, but still only has around a 85 career qb rating. Decent team around him? I guess a 4-12 team is considered decent now a days huh? Dalton turned a 4 win team into a 9 win team and had 3400 yards and 20 TDs as a rookie.

Ridiculous post. See my bolded rebuttals. To say none of those guys excelled is a joke.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Dec 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM ]

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by susweel:

Luck has

I dont think its a bad team around him

Well they were bad enough to draft Luck!

And got rid of a lot of dead weight after that season. Just because a team is bad/good the previous year doesn't mean that they will be bad/good the next. Luck isn't the only thing different from the previous team.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by susweel:

Luck has

I dont think its a bad team around him

Well they were bad enough to draft Luck!

And got rid of a lot of dead weight after that season. Just because a team is bad/good the previous year doesn't mean that they will be bad/good the next. Luck isn't the only thing different from the previous team.

Luck isnt the only thing different but he sure as hell is the only impact player added to the Colts in the offseason. They lost a lot more talent than they brought in.

Yea? Andrew Luck has a 75.5 qb rating. Hardly excelling. Andrew Luck took over a 2 win team and has them on the verge of a playoff berth. If you are looking at QB rating as the end all, then I really feel like this response will be a waste of time. 2 win team with Luck is a top 5 team in the AFC. If you dont call that success, I dont know what is.

You may have had a point with Robert Griffin, but then he got injured and his back up came in and lit it up which probably indicates that the team around him isn't too shabby. No tape on Kirk Cousins, so theres no surprise that he lit it up. Oh wait, does that excuse only apply to OUR quarterbacks who are replacing Alex? RGIII took over a 5 win team and will likely win the NFC East. At worst, they are an 8 win team. Yes he has had help from Alfred Morris, but many attribute his success to RGIII. His stats are off the charts for a rookie QB.

Peyton Manning threw for almost 20 ints a season with a mid 80s qbr for the first 5 years of his career until the team around him got better. It took Peyton Manning one full season to turn the Colts from a terrible team to a perennial powerhouse. Mid 80s QBR for his first 5 years? Completely incorrect. (71.2, 90.7, 94.7, 84.1, 88.8) Yeah, that sounds like mid 80s for first 5 years. Or are you strictly talking average? Fine. It averages to about an 85 QBR. But you know damn well his rookie year is weighting that down. To say he was a mid 80s QBR type QB is ridiculous.

Drew Bress struggled with the Chargers and has had success behind a talented offense in NO. When his line doesn't do a good job protecting him or when the defense plays terribly, he's become a pick machine. Talented offense in NO? LOL. This was a 3 win team when Drew Brees got to New Orleans. He turned that into a 10 win team in one season and threw for 4400 yards and 26 TDs.

Cam Newton scored a lot of TDs last year, but he also turned the ball over 20 times and didn't have a good qb rating. Yep 35 touchdowns. An obscene amount for a rookie starting on the worst team in the NFL. He had terrible talent around him and turned a 2 win team into a 6 win team....and put up great stats in the process. Didnt have a good QB rating? I guess is considered to be bad these days huh?

Andy Dalton has a decent team around him, but still only has around a 85 career qb rating. Decent team around him? I guess a 4-12 team is considered decent now a days huh? Dalton turned a 4 win team into a 9 win team and had 3400 yards and 20 TDs as a rookie.

Ridiculous post. See my bolded rebuttals. To say none of those guys excelled is a joke.

man ...people should invest in the sunday ticket and watch the league...stats only tell 20% of the story
dbl post
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Dec 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM ]
I agree with 80sbaby24. It doesnt matter if a good quarterback has a bad team around him, they always seem to find a way to make plays and shine.

If I had to compare Alex Smith to another quarterback in the league, I would say it has to be Mark Sanchez, only the the beginning of their careers were flipped.

When Mark Sanchez came into the league, he joined a very good Jets team that was lead primarily by their defense with some solid weapons on offense.
Coaching staff was good with a strong running game. The team didnt ask a whole lot from Mark Sanchez and was generally comfortable with his role, which allowed him to make the occasional big play when called upon. He helped lead the Jets to two Championship games in his first few years...

Now look at Mark Sanchez... The team around him is horrible, he has no real offensive weapons, his defense is a shadow of what it once was and the the head coach and staff has turned into a circus. Mark Sanchez is now expected to make plays on his own, the expectations are different and despite being a solid AVERAGE quarterback his skill level does not allow him to transcend the mediocrity around him.

Alex Smith is pretty much the same thing, only he started his career with s**tty teams with no stability where his lack of great skill was apparent. Fortunately for him he was lucky enough to still be around when the talent around him, along with a GREAT coaching staff finally grew around him. The pressure was off of him and the offense did not ask much from him.

Hopefully Alex (and Mark Sanchez) can find teams next year that can accomdate their skill level, but I honestly believe both of them will probably end up playing for other s**tty teams where their careers will spiral out of control.
Share 49ersWebzone