LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We must be the only fan zone in the NFL with an entire link/entry/posting dedicated to OUR BACKUP QB.

Are you kidding me?

I see Smith going to the NY Jets as a "temporary" solution to the QB troubles they're having...
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by pigskin:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Wish Alex the best in his future. He will start for some team next year.

Thank You Alex!

My thoughts completely. Hopefully he'll play for an AFC team, good luck (except when you play the Niners) Alex!

Agreed...class through to his soul; everything a Niner represents. I sort of hope he goes to a team with more of a spread offense and one where he can call the plays himself (ala P.Manning). He's that cerebral and I feel if he was allowed to spread out a defense with some quality receivers and a threat at RB, "he" could rip a defense apart with his brain, experience and poise. I would not be surprised to see him take off somewhere else and call the shots. Best wishes to he AND CK. I just want a win-win for everyone at this juncture...

I think ball controlled offense is a better fit for him.

Might be good in a patriots type spread/hurry-up O

I seem to recall he actually did damage in the hurry up offense when Dingleberry ran it with us. Another good point.

was it '09 when the "leave smith in the shotgun" was the hot topic?
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Idk why Baltimore comes to mind when I think of places Alex could be next year and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Harbaugh has already been talking to John about this as well Flacco has always been inconsistent and TO happy, something Alex has not been the last 2 and a half years or so.

Seems like a great fit too, strong D and strong running game.

I actually agree with this... He can do wonder in that team!

Didn't think about that as a destination, but Smith would be a great fit for that team.

In that system would he really be better then Flacco?

I think he could be. They have the offense and the defense that can support that particular style of play. And who knows, maybe... JUST MAYBE, he'll start airing it out!

(wishful thinking, I know)

Thank You Alex!

My thoughts completely. Hopefully he'll play for an AFC team, good luck (except when you play the Niners) Alex!

Agreed...class through to his soul; everything a Niner represents. I sort of hope he goes to a team with more of a spread offense and one where he can call the plays himself (ala P.Manning). He's that cerebral and I feel if he was allowed to spread out a defense with some quality receivers and a threat at RB, "he" could rip a defense apart with his brain, experience and poise. I would not be surprised to see him take off somewhere else and call the shots. Best wishes to he AND CK. I just want a win-win for everyone at this juncture...

I think Pop Warner would be a nice fit.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
We must be the only fan zone in the NFL with an entire link/entry/posting dedicated to OUR BACKUP QB.

Are you kidding me?

I see Smith going to the NY Jets as a "temporary" solution to the QB troubles they're having...
I was going to say the same thing! I mean the part Alex going to the Jets!
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Thank You Alex!

I think Pop Warner would be a nice fit.

Come on, Chuck!

Idk why Baltimore comes to mind when I think of places Alex could be next year and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Harbaugh has already been talking to John about this as well Flacco has always been inconsistent and TO happy, something Alex has not been the last 2 and a half years or so.

Didn't think about that as a destination, but Smith would be a great fit for that team.

I think he could be. They have the offense and the defense that can support that particular style of play. And who knows, maybe... JUST MAYBE, he'll start airing it out!

this would be like trading Flacco for another Flacco imo... AS may actually be a tad better than Flacco but man these two guys play very similar, again.... imo
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
$9M isnt that much for a QB who IS a starter in this league. It is FAR too much for a backup QB.

And as far as being a troubled offense goes.....would you say that last season we were a troubled offense? Because with handcuffs on and the "play safe" mentality engrained into his head, I dont see any reason why Tolzien couldnt do what Alex did in 2011.

I think we can swing that much for a backup when we are paying our starter so little. I'd like to keep him as a backup.
Originally posted by MertonHanksneck:

this would be like trading Flacco for another Flacco imo... AS may actually be a tad better than Flacco but man these two guys play very similar, again.... imo

I think Smith is a bit better. He can actually read the defense pretty well.

Originally posted by MertonHanksneck:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'd like to see him go to Kansas City as the starter.

this! I can see A Smith starting in KC with Andy Reid possibly at HC

good point, I would like to see him go to a coach who knows a thing or two about the QB position...maybe Norv??

My top 5 list in order of likeliness

1) NYJ - They have a solid defense and need a QB who won't lose

2) Chiefs- Desperate and not in the NFC

3) Cardinals- Desperate and in the NFC

4) Browns- They might stick with BW

5) Chargers- Rivers is terrible, most turnovers in the last 2 years behind (SANCHEZ)
[ Edited by 49erfaithful49 on Dec 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM ]
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I think they should keep A. Smith as an insurance policy. Have him back up Kaep, 9 mill isn't much for a qb that can start in this league. Let him go and we are an injury away from being a troubled offense again.

$9M isnt that much for a QB who IS a starter in this league. It is FAR too much for a backup QB.

And as far as being a troubled offense goes.....would you say that last season we were a troubled offense? Because with handcuffs on and the "play safe" mentality engrained into his head, I dont see any reason why Tolzien couldnt do what Alex did in 2011.

since the play calling and offensive philosphy hasnt changed much since the qb change I dont know how much is really engrained in smith's head as opposed to this being what the philosophy of roman and harbaugh is
I always thought AS would be best in a spread O that forced him to throw the ball down the field. He eventually wouldn't be gunshy anymore.
Baltimore is an intriguing possibility. If the Vikings are ready to abort the Christian Ponder experiment, I think that would be the absolute best fit for him. He is exactly like Ponder but without the inconsistency and turnovers. With their defense and AP to keep the opposing defense honest that team could be a tough out with Alex. They are 8-6 now and I think they win 2 games with Smith over Ponder this year.
One other curve ball: The Jets may dump Sanchez and be looking for someone steady who doesn't turn it over and is good in the locker room. The Jets become the Urban Meyer NFL QB experiment with Smith and Tebow.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Norv Turner looks to be the front runner for the OC job in Baltimore next year, he got the best from Alex before Harbaugh showed up, but that was six years ago in a completely different offense then he has run the last 2 years where he had his greatest success. He doesn't have the arm Flacco does and that offense does ask to go deep a lot. I just hope the team Alex goes to next year uses him correctly and doesn't try to change him to fit whatever system the coach has.
Share 49ersWebzone