LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As you know I'm no Alex Smith Supporter but I'm trying to think logically about this and figure out where Alex would go.

Arizona - Pretty good defense, Decent special teams, Larry Fitzgerald is world class wideout, no running game, atrocious offensive line and coach may get fired. play against 3 top 10 defenses, the best of whom know you like a book and would probably destroy you. - No thanks

Philly - Good defensive personnel but underachieving, Nice weapons Shady McCoy, Maclin, Jackson( I think), Celek. New Coaching staff. Ok special teams.
Offensive line sucks. You get to face Eli Manning, and RG3 twice a year and Philly fans Could be worse but..... - Maybe

NY Jets - Very good offensive line, almost no weapons receiving, Coached by Rex Ryan another QB hater like Singletary. But Ryan may be fired.
New York Pressure and Media. Middle of the road defense. And of course Tebow could still be there. - How about No.

Jacksonville - Well if Tebow doesn't show up you have Jones-Drew annnnnnnnnd that's about it. Almost no weapons, terrible offensive line, bad defense, Probably a new coaching staff, Nice Florida weather but half empty stadiums, decent special teams, Hardly ever in primetime, Play against Andrew Luck who is already better than you. - Probably not

Kansas City - New Coaching staff, Good GM, Die Hard fans but a little cookoo.pretty good Runnning game, a few weapons at wideout. Good Defense. Play
in the weak AFC west. Only threat is Peyton Manning who retires in 2 years probably. Good special teams. - Ding Ding Ding. I think we have a winner!!
[ Edited by gavindirishmen on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM ]
Interesting situation. I will root for Smith where ever he goes and if he ever plays against the niners in a Super Bowl it will be great because I wouldn't just be rooting for one team but for both.

As for the future--the team could try and get every ounce out of a trade or give Smith some say in a deal. Not sure how that works these day but am assuming the team has that option if they pick up the contract or make a deal before it's up.

So, if the team is somewhat civil and allows Smith to talk to teams before hand it could end up a mutually beneficial deal. If Baalke plays hard ball and forces a trade against Smith's wishes the taint of his negative treatment will be sad. If there are no takers and the team cuts Smith he could pull a wait and see attitude, until a team is desperate going into the season...may sign a bigger contract with a lesser team...doesn't sound like Smith though.

I do not see his reputation, particularly after being replaced by CK, as giving him many suitors for the current contract. So...Baltimore is unlikely to replace Flacco with another mid level good QB. Flacco's problems are more mental (decision making) than arm or legs, Smith is less mistake prone...but it doesn't seem a likely landing spot. I would pull for it just because I think Baltimore is close and a Harbaugh Brothers Bowl with CK against Smith would offer some great pathos.

Arizona would be a short plane ride if Alex would prefer to stay put in CA with his family. But being in the hospital because your line can't block...ouch!

I believe Smith will, and should, go with a coach and offensive coordinator. If they are hired together it would give him much more security and he could have more input into the offense played. He played really well in a more open offense in college and I believe he would excel with that approach in the NFL.

Where ever you go Alex Smith you will have many grateful fans here in California.
Not sure that I would root for Alex wherever he went.... Simply because out of 32 teams I only give a s**t about one of them and only the players on that single roster. Anybody rooting for Josh Morgan right now? As long as he is 49er I like him when that ends he is the enemy.
Alex i just want you to know that i have always gave you the beneift of the doubt. I always said you werent a bad Qb. and you proved me right. thank you DONT FRET ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED HERE. YOUL GET YOUR CHANCE AGAIN.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Not sure that I would root for Alex wherever he went.... Simply because out of 32 teams I only give a s**t about one of them and only the players on that single roster. Anybody rooting for Josh Morgan right now? As long as he is 49er I like him when that ends he is the enemy.

I'm rooting for Joshua Morgan and some other former 9ers...but that's because I tend to have an over developed sense of loyalty. When Montana went to KC I even rooted for KC...had to hold my nose but it didn't kill me. I have rooted for many non-niners as well--George Blanda, Fran Tarkenton, Bo Jackson, Alan Page...a lot of really great stories in sports. To limit yourself by only rooting for current niners seems sad.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I'm rooting for Joshua Morgan and some other former 9ers...but that's because I tend to have an over developed sense of loyalty. When Montana went to KC I even rooted for KC...had to hold my nose but it didn't kill me. I have rooted for many non-niners as well--George Blanda, Fran Tarkenton, Bo Jackson, Alan Page...a lot of really great stories in sports. To limit yourself by only rooting for current niners seems sad.

Josh ditched us for the cash though. I still resent that a little bit especially since he left us so thin at WR.

Montana might be an exception. When his name comes up the only team that comes to mind are the 49ers and in the end even though he didn't retire here he was a 49er.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Baltimore seems like a good option on the surface but that team is in decline and I'm disappointed in the job Harbaugh has done there. Letting Charlie Batch torch them in their own house was the last straw for me (and they would've lost by double digits if Batch's receivers didn't drop so many passes). Their 9-5 record is a mirage. They've played more like a 6-8 team. Should've lost to NE, Dallas, SD and their 1st game vs. Pitt. 26th in total defense, 21st in total offense. Albeit with some crucial injuries on defense, but even when healthy I just don't think it's that good anymore. Offensively they have most of the pieces in place and I have no doubt Alex would be a big upgrade over Fluko, but I doubt he would want to play for another Harbaugh.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Iceman49:
Dear Alex Smith,

Thank you for the memories. The Playoff game vs the Saints will forever be in 49ers lore. You have etched your name among the great 49ers players of past and present. Your acomplishments will not be lost to this fan or any fan that I will come across. I will let them know the 49er quarterback who had the most comeback wins, the 49ers quarterback who had the longest streak without throwing an interception, the same player who orchestrated an NFL record 600+ yards of total offense. # 11 the Pheonix, Alex Smith. May you rise once again and fly.

Sincerely,

Niner Fan.

P.S. I am secretly hoping that somehow you will be utilized in the game winning drive of the SuperBowl.

rise once again and what...?

I dont want nothing to do with that guy
I think Alex could make some good trade bait for us. Not a first, but maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder, no ?

Either way, I think we need to move on after this season's over. Whether for better or worse, he will be a distraction for this team. We have to commit to Kaep when season's out, and the only way to do that is let Alex go. I hope he ends up someplace where he has a solid career. But something tells me he's going to end up in either Buffalo or Jacksonville.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
I think Alex could make some good trade bait for us. Not a first, but maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder, no ?

Either way, I think we need to move on after this season's over. Whether for better or worse, he will be a distraction for this team. We have to commit to Kaep when season's out, and the only way to do that is let Alex go. I hope he ends up someplace where he has a solid career. But something tells me he's going to end up in either Buffalo or Jacksonville.

We have extra picks to add if we want to go after a first rounder...which would be my choice. I would much rather bring in guys who have a better shot at making the team than more late rounders. Even third round is a much bigger crap-shoot.

With the success of Luck and RGIII this year many teams will likely want to choose a QB in the first round rather than trade for one...but perhaps there is someone out there with a yen for Smith's talent.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by Furlow:
If (and when) Alex gets traded, will he achieve the same level of success without Jim Harbaugh guiding him along?

I think so as long as the guy coaching him follows the same type of formula for play design and game planning. He would probably revert back to the old Alex if he was put into another situation like he had the first 7 seasons. That is why I think a place like the Jets would be suicide for Alex's career. Rex Ryan would run Alex's career straight down the toilet in a season or two.

But at least Alex wont run into his lineman's butt and fumble the ball.

lol... I definitely think he is much MUCH better than Sanchez ever will be. Just saying that whole mess with the Jets is a bad environment for Alex.
Agreed. I wouldn't want Alex anywhere near a defensive minded head coach. I wouldn't wish that on any QB really. I think the best thing for him would be to go to a team where there's a new head coach, new OC, and a willingness to build the offense around his strengths. I'd love to see what he is capable of with some crazy weapons like Brees has in New Orleans.

I doubt Alex will take advantage of his new targets, unlike Brees who isnt afraid to be pass happy.

Depends doesnt it.

Under a defensive minded coach (sing and nolan) he was coached not to ever make a mistake. Very tough to play qb that way and it showed. Now with a new coach and WCO and some decent weapons he has developed into a very good qb who was top 5 in ratings.

You may not want to accept the fact that Alex made the switch and became a top 5 qb but thats what happened.

And until this year the only player Alex or any qb could throw the ball deep to was VD.

So we shall see but I think alot of people are gonna be suprised with Alex if he goes to the right team. And if he goes to the Cards you will be shocked I think. They have better wr's than us and Alex would be deadly with that group if given any time at all.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Depends doesnt it.

Under a defensive minded coach (sing and nolan) he was coached not to ever make a mistake. Very tough to play qb that way and it showed. Now with a new coach and WCO and some decent weapons he has developed into a very good qb who was top 5 in ratings.

You may not want to accept the fact that Alex made the switch and became a top 5 qb but thats what happened.

And until this year the only player Alex or any qb could throw the ball deep to was VD.

So we shall see but I think alot of people are gonna be suprised with Alex if he goes to the right team. And if he goes to the Cards you will be shocked I think. They have better wr's than us and Alex would be deadly with that group if given any time at all.

Agree with this and, come to think of it, he knows how to play behind a bad OLine.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Depends doesnt it.

Agree with this and, come to think of it, he knows how to play behind a bad OLine.

Plus he knows basically every offense. I personally would like to see him in his home town of SD playing with Norv again. Don't see this happening but it would be a great fit I think.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Plus he knows basically every offense. I personally would like to see him in his home town of SD playing with Norv again. Don't see this happening but it would be a great fit I think.

I don't see Smith taking the starting job from Rivers but I think it is more likely than Norv coaching San Diego next year.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

I don't see Smith taking the starting job from Rivers but I think it is more likely than Norv coaching San Diego next year.

Minnesota maybe? With AP there, he'd do ok.
Share 49ersWebzone