There are 179 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by jreff22:
What about Miami, think they would offer a contract again? They have a solid defense, some good weapons on offense. If they had efficient, smart QB play, they could be dangerous.

Personally, I'd like to see him in Arizona with Larry Fitzgerald. They have a solid defense, a good stable of running backs, and very good WR's. If they could shore up the line he could have success there.

Wait, did I just pump up a division rival?
Miami just drafted a QB

True but teams never stop trying to find the right one until they have it. I'm sure they could absorb both contracts. Where's AB when you need him?

The Phins and the fans are happy with Tannehill, they wont start a controversy
Originally posted by 8to80:
This thread is still going?

Even if you argue that Rodger's better accuracy and awareness is a product of being with the Packers, he still has a better arm than Smith. Hate to break it to ya, but a strong arm does give you an edge. If you go and ask all the experts and hardcore fans, you'll find that the vast majority believe that Rodgers would have done better on the niners than Smith has.

Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL, IMO. Peyton & Brady have a great O-Lines and they don't get harassed nearly as much as Rodgers. I love how Rodgers never complains about his POS O-Line and just wins games.

Seems like after Alex is traded/released, many of you fanboys will disappear. I guess you'll be on the Dolphin forums next year?

Fanboys just bought you a long timeout. Not needed
Alex was awfully young when he came into this league - only 20. His early experiences here, I think, damaged him, both physically and psychologically, and set him back - for awhile. But we saw signs of him maturing and growing into a man, and saw glimpses of great talent even in the earlier years. I think he began showing it even before Harbaugh arrived; in the latter part to 2010, after Raye was fired and Johnson was promoted.

I think Alex was still improving this year. I do not happen to be one who feels Alex has hit his ceiling yet. If he goes elsewhere, some of you may be making a mistake thinking he will not play well elsewhere. He has seen it all, and learned a lot. He could almost be his own OC on the field. He will not make a lot of the mistakes we cringed about in earlier years. He is not at Brady's level, but I could see him moving his team down the field smartly and mistake-free, even with less than stellar talent around him.
Alex biggest strength was also his biggest weakness, his mind. The dude is so smart, I think he might over-analyze every little detail on every play. I think a lot of his shortcomings(on the field) were a product of him complicating things in his own mind. Instead of just going out there believing in himself and his teamates and just playing ball. He seemed to me to play so much better, when he was forced to and he had to make plays. At least last season, I didn't see the same Alex this year other than on paper. I wonder if he was looking over his shoulder because of Kaep. He just didn't seem as decisive as he was last season. Just my opinion. I hope things work out for him wherever he lands, he is a total class act.
Dear Alex Smith,

Thank you for the memories. The Playoff game vs the Saints will forever be in 49ers lore. You have etched your name among the great 49ers players of past and present. Your acomplishments will not be lost to this fan or any fan that I will come across. I will let them know the 49er quarterback who had the most comeback wins, the 49ers quarterback who had the longest streak without throwing an interception, the same player who orchestrated an NFL record 600+ yards of total offense. # 11 the Pheonix, Alex Smith. May you rise once again and fly.

Sincerely,

Niner Fan.

P.S. I am secretly hoping that somehow you will be utilized in the game winning drive of the SuperBowl.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Alex was awfully young when he came into this league - only 20. His early experiences here, I think, damaged him, both physically and psychologically, and set him back - for awhile. But we saw signs of him maturing and growing into a man, and saw glimpses of great talent even in the earlier years. I think he began showing it even before Harbaugh arrived; in the latter part to 2010, after Raye was fired and Johnson was promoted.

I think Alex was still improving this year. I do not happen to be one who feels Alex has hit his ceiling yet. If he goes elsewhere, some of you may be making a mistake thinking he will not play well elsewhere. He has seen it all, and learned a lot. He could almost be his own OC on the field. He will not make a lot of the mistakes we cringed about in earlier years. He is not at Brady's level, but I could see him moving his team down the field smartly and mistake-free, even with less than stellar talent around him.

Great post!
Originally posted by Iceman49:
Dear Alex Smith,

Thank you for the memories. The Playoff game vs the Saints will forever be in 49ers lore. You have etched your name among the great 49ers players of past and present. Your acomplishments will not be lost to this fan or any fan that I will come across. I will let them know the 49er quarterback who had the most comeback wins, the 49ers quarterback who had the longest streak without throwing an interception, the same player who orchestrated an NFL record 600+ yards of total offense. # 11 the Pheonix, Alex Smith. May you rise once again and fly.

Sincerely,

Niner Fan.

P.S. I am secretly hoping that somehow you will be utilized in the game winning drive of the SuperBowl.

Another great post!
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by Joecool:
No, I'm replying to a post about wins being used as an argument of being good or not. Now if he would have used other more specific metrics, I just may have agreed with him.

Alex is a damn solid QB. He is a winning QB. He is not a top 10 QB. If he was, then he would be desirable across the league. There's must be more involved AROUND Alex Smith for him to be successful.

He just doesn't make players around him better. Further, he requires the players around him to play near mistake free ball for Alex to succeed.
We dont know how a lot of QB's would be without great supporting casts and coaching....Young comes to mind and even Keap. Its rare to see a QB do wonders with little help. With bad coaching and a bad supporting cast Alex played like crap, with great coaching and help he did much better.

Yup that pretty much sums it up. Let's be real. If Rodgers was put into Alex Smith's situation I highly doubt he fares much better than Smith has. If Rogers goes to SF in 2005 and Smith goes to Greenbay, their level of play would probably be reversed or close to it. They came out of the draft with virtually the same skill set. In fact, Smith was thought to be a better athlete and runner.

Of course this is speculative on my part, but it is VERY hard to make the argument that Rodgers would have been playing at a high level if he was our pick in 2005. I don't see any quarterback playing well being put into such a s**tty situation.

Okay, now put Rodgers on THIS 49ers team. Do you think Kaep starts over him? No. This is why Rodgers, although he may not have been successful in terms of wins on the 2005 49ers team, he would have fared better than Smith.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM ]
No, I'm replying to a post about wins being used as an argument of being good or not. Now if he would have used other more specific metrics, I just may have agreed with him.

Alex is a damn solid QB. He is a winning QB. He is not a top 10 QB. If he was, then he would be desirable across the league. There's must be more involved AROUND Alex Smith for him to be successful.

He just doesn't make players around him better. Further, he requires the players around him to play near mistake free ball for Alex to succeed.
We dont know how a lot of QB's would be without great supporting casts and coaching....Young comes to mind and even Keap. Its rare to see a QB do wonders with little help. With bad coaching and a bad supporting cast Alex played like crap, with great coaching and help he did much better.

Yup that pretty much sums it up. Let's be real. If Rodgers was put into Alex Smith's situation I highly doubt he fares much better than Smith has. If Rogers goes to SF in 2005 and Smith goes to Greenbay, their level of play would probably be reversed or close to it. They came out of the draft with virtually the same skill set. In fact, Smith was thought to be a better athlete and runner.

Of course this is speculative on my part, but it is VERY hard to make the argument that Rodgers would have been playing at a high level if he was our pick in 2005. I don't see any quarterback playing well being put into such a s**tty situation.

Okay, now put Rodgers on THIS 49ers team. Do you think Kaep starts over him? No. This is why Rodgers, although he may not have been successful in terms of wins on the 2005 49ers team, he would have fared better than Smith.
Does he have 2 shoulder surgeries and a concussion? The physical abuse Alex endured for years coupled with the retarded coaching puts him in a league not known to many.

Even if you argue that Rodger's better accuracy and awareness is a product of being with the Packers, he still has a better arm than Smith. Hate to break it to ya, but a strong arm does give you an edge. If you go and ask all the experts and hardcore fans, you'll find that the vast majority believe that Rodgers would have done better on the niners than Smith has.

Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL, IMO. Peyton & Brady have a great O-Lines and they don't get harassed nearly as much as Rodgers. I love how Rodgers never complains about his POS O-Line and just wins games.

Seems like after Alex is traded/released, many of you fanboys will disappear. I guess you'll be on the Dolphin forums next year?

Alex had a great arm coming out of college. He lost some arm strength after those shoulder injuries. If you reverse their situations Rodgers would have suffered the same shoulder injuries and hence lost arm strength.

And umm I'm a 49ers fan first and foremost. Because I like Alex means that I like him more than the 49ers? What kind of logic is that? Seems like you're an Alex Smith hater. I'm assuming you've been one of the many fans that have hated on Alex Smith over the years. What kind of 49er fan hates on their own starting quarterback? Maybe you're the one who should check your fanhood. Real fans don't talk s**t about the players on their team when they are going through hard times. So gtfo with talk that I should go to another board because I like a player that has been through a lot of s**t. Never did I say I like him more than the team. If kap struggles, you'll probably jump off his bandwagon too. Real fans are there for their team through thick and thin. I guess you'll be on the Scott Tolzein bandwagon or draft another qb bandwagon if Kap ever starts struggling?..

Does he have 2 shoulder surgeries and a concussion? The physical abuse Alex endured for years coupled with the retarded coaching puts him in a league not known to many.

Exactly. You have to take into account that Rodgers would go through ALL of the same stuff Smith did And Joecool of course Rodgers would be starting on this team now over Kap. What's your point? However, if Rodgers was drafted by US in 2005, he'd be a similar situation as Smith in terms of play level. No one can question how mentally tough Alex Smith is.
I said it in another thread, but this is the ideal place for Smith. He can back up, going out on top so to say with millions of dollars, the love of the fans, respect, youth and health. He will have unlimited options and opportunities to stay in the game as a mentor and coach, or to live a grand retirement. Not bad.

Otherwise, the fate of QBs is to get hurt, or get booed off the field in favor of some young gunslinger. And for what? To prove he is a worthy starter? He already proved that here, just had the luck to be pressed by a future top player, a guy who I think could be amongst the best ever at that position.

Seriously this is the crap I hate, Mods do something with this.

Yes, thank you. That's such an ignorant comment. Because we support Alex Smith and like him, we must be fans of him above the team? Considering you hate Alex Smith, and Alex Smith is a 49er, you must not be a very good 49er fan. So maybe you should go onto another teams board...
I think Alex Smith would be a perfect fit for Andy Ried and his offense... Any where Andy ends up, I think Alex should go... as long as its not one of our rivals
  • NP9er
  • Veteran
Does it make someone a "bad fan" to root for a player when they leave their favorite team? I'm struggling with this. It happened once before, but I was much younger. When Montana was cast off in favor of Steve Young, I was not happy. When the Chiefs played the 49ers in that Monday night game, I couldn't help but cheer for Montana. He transcended my love of the 49ers.

Now obviously Smith has not accomplished what Montana did, but he has captured my heart nonetheless. No need to go through all of the things he has endured, but to have the kind of heart and determination he has showed made it easy for an old(er) guy like me to cheer for him. I really want to see him succeed. As I think of the possible destinations for him, I wonder if I will cheer for that team, and for how long, and if that makes me less of a Niner fan.

In the end, I am and will always be a Niner fan. I got over the Montana thing, and I'll get over this too. But I invested so much into Smith (defending him for years and then being validated the last two) I can't let go as easy as some on this board are able to. Yeah yeah, I know, but I'm man enough to admit that I'm a fan of a player.

By the way that Chiefs/9ers game was a Sunday "DAY GAME" .....remember?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Personally, I won't be talking about Alex Smith leaving the 49ers until it's a confirmed done deal.

It's been said too many times before.

Right now, I'm glad to have him on the team... as the starter or back-up, whatever Harbaugh thinks is best.