There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
That's not what I said. Stats without context mean nothing. You need to watch games as well as many things in a QB's game do not show up on the stat sheet.

Luck is a ROOKIE! He will make a lot of mistakes. Again...CONTEXT. He is playing very well for a rookie QB. He's had some poor games but has made some great plays. Then when you consider the type of offense he plays in and the responsibility he has without the benefit of a running game, he's playing quite well. There's a reason why he's up for rookie of the year along with RG3 and Wilson.

I'd say he's playing quite well with a crappy team. 2 win team to 9+ wins. When someone brings up his QB rating as to why he's not playing well there's really no point in me continuing the conversation with said person.

36 wins in the 3 seasons prior to going 2-14.

Hmm, wonder what Tebow's winning percentage was.

Context means everything. The eye test is what tells more.

eye test is subjective so it will never lead to any provable definete conclusion

Eye test, contract, and desirability.
Originally posted by jreff22:
No, I'm replying to a post about wins being used as an argument of being good or not. Now if he would have used other more specific metrics, I just may have agreed with him.

Alex is a damn solid QB. He is a winning QB. He is not a top 10 QB. If he was, then he would be desirable across the league. There's must be more involved AROUND Alex Smith for him to be successful.

He just doesn't make players around him better. Further, he requires the players around him to play near mistake free ball for Alex to succeed.
We dont know how a lot of QB's would be without great supporting casts and coaching....Young comes to mind and even Keap. Its rare to see a QB do wonders with little help. With bad coaching and a bad supporting cast Alex played like crap, with great coaching and help he did much better.

Yup that pretty much sums it up. Let's be real. If Rodgers was put into Alex Smith's situation I highly doubt he fares much better than Smith has. If Rogers goes to SF in 2005 and Smith goes to Greenbay, their level of play would probably be reversed or close to it. They came out of the draft with virtually the same skill set. In fact, Smith was thought to be a better athlete and runner.

Of course this is speculative on my part, but it is VERY hard to make the argument that Rodgers would have been playing at a high level if he was our pick in 2005. I don't see any quarterback playing well being put into such a s**tty situation.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Dec 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Wish Alex the best in his future. He will start for some team next year.

Thank You Alex!

My thoughts completely. Hopefully he'll play for an AFC team, good luck (except when you play the Niners) Alex!

Agreed...class through to his soul; everything a Niner represents. I sort of hope he goes to a team with more of a spread offense and one where he can call the plays himself (ala P.Manning). He's that cerebral and I feel if he was allowed to spread out a defense with some quality receivers and a threat at RB, "he" could rip a defense apart with his brain, experience and poise. I would not be surprised to see him take off somewhere else and call the shots. Best wishes to he AND CK. I just want a win-win for everyone at this juncture...

I agree.
+1

100% Agree with this. I want to see him do well and win wherever he goes, and for us to continue our winning ways as well with CK.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
No, I'm replying to a post about wins being used as an argument of being good or not. Now if he would have used other more specific metrics, I just may have agreed with him.

Alex is a damn solid QB. He is a winning QB. He is not a top 10 QB. If he was, then he would be desirable across the league. There's must be more involved AROUND Alex Smith for him to be successful.

He just doesn't make players around him better. Further, he requires the players around him to play near mistake free ball for Alex to succeed.
We dont know how a lot of QB's would be without great supporting casts and coaching....Young comes to mind and even Keap. Its rare to see a QB do wonders with little help. With bad coaching and a bad supporting cast Alex played like crap, with great coaching and help he did much better.

Yup that pretty much sums it up. Let's be real. If Rodgers was put into Alex Smith's situation I highly doubt he fares much better than Smith has. If Rogers goes to SF in 2005 and Smith goes to Greenbay, their level of play would probably be reversed or close to it. They came out of the draft with virtually the same skill set. In fact, Smith was thought to be a better athlete and runner.

Of course this is speculative on my part, but it is VERY hard to make the argument that Rodgers would have been playing at a high level if he was our pick in 2005. I don't see any quarterback playing well being put into such a s**tty situation.

I've always said Smith would have been an elite QB in Green Bay. He has the talent and would have had the time to learn the offense as well. Heck, Rodgers stepped into a situation much like Kaep. Both QBs took over winning teams with great players around them. The only major difference is that the 49ers have a great defense and are Superbowl contenders where Green Bay (when Rodgers took over) was a playoff team but not considered to be SB ready.
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Greatest 49er QB of all time.

2nd only to trent dilfer
What about Miami, think they would offer a contract again? They have a solid defense, some good weapons on offense. If they had efficient, smart QB play, they could be dangerous.

Personally, I'd like to see him in Arizona with Larry Fitzgerald. They have a solid defense, a good stable of running backs, and very good WR's. If they could shore up the line he could have success there.

Wait, did I just pump up a division rival?
  • 8to80
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

This thread is still going?

Even if you argue that Rodger's better accuracy and awareness is a product of being with the Packers, he still has a better arm than Smith. Hate to break it to ya, but a strong arm does give you an edge. If you go and ask all the experts and hardcore fans, you'll find that the vast majority believe that Rodgers would have done better on the niners than Smith has.

Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL, IMO. Peyton & Brady have a great O-Lines and they don't get harassed nearly as much as Rodgers. I love how Rodgers never complains about his POS O-Line and just wins games.

Seems like after Alex is traded/released, many of you fanboys will disappear. I guess you'll be on the Dolphin forums next year?
What about Miami, think they would offer a contract again? They have a solid defense, some good weapons on offense. If they had efficient, smart QB play, they could be dangerous.

Personally, I'd like to see him in Arizona with Larry Fitzgerald. They have a solid defense, a good stable of running backs, and very good WR's. If they could shore up the line he could have success there.

That is the last thing we want. To make another NFC team competitive we got enough to worry about the Seahawks. He would also have a chip on his shoulder looking for revenge against us. Probably still would beat them but I don't want to give them any help at all. Chiefs could use Alex.

Yes you did
Originally posted by BayArea:

That is the last thing we want. To make another NFC team competitive we got enough to worry about the Seahawks. He would also have a chip on his shoulder looking for revenge against us. Probably still would beat them but I don't want to give them any help at all. Chiefs could use Alex.

KC is a good spot too. Their defense has some potential with all of those young players, and they have good offensive weapons. That's where 49er QB's have gone to die (not literally lol) though...

Miami just drafted a QB
  • 8to80
Originally posted by BayArea:

Obviously, Arizona's problem is not at QB. You stick anyone behind the worst O-Line in the NFL, and you'll get similar results.
Originally posted by 8to80:

Even if you argue that Rodger's better accuracy and awareness is a product of being with the Packers, he still has a better arm than Smith. Hate to break it to ya, but a strong arm does give you an edge. If you go and ask all the experts and hardcore fans, you'll find that the vast majority believe that Rodgers would have done better on the niners than Smith has.

Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL, IMO. Peyton & Brady have a great O-Lines and they don't get harassed nearly as much as Rodgers. I love how Rodgers never complains about his POS O-Line and just wins games.

Seems like after Alex is traded/released, many of you fanboys will disappear. I guess you'll be on the Dolphin forums next year?

Seriously this is the crap I hate, Mods do something with this.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Dec 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM ]

Miami just drafted a QB

True but teams never stop trying to find the right one until they have it. I'm sure they could absorb both contracts. Where's AB when you need him?
Originally posted by 8to80:

Seriously this is the crap I hate, Mods do something with this clown.

This. Mods have done a good job of separating the threads. Plus is piling on really necessary?